P1000 You guys changing your oil every 600 or 1200 miles?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well i sat down and read my maint schedule and it appears you are supposed to change your oil every 1200 miles. I was under the impression that since the maint minder deal is good for 600 miles that was for an oil change. What are you guys doing?

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil changes are every 1200. The 600 mile is stuff like checking nets and cleaning spark arrestor.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
1200 mile oil change interval sounds ridiculous. There is a simple and accurate way to determine the condition of used oil (oil analysis). Get a free test kit from Blackstone Labs. Run the oil for the recommended change interval and send a sample of the oil for the standard oil analysis and add a TBN (total base number) test ($28+10=$38). The TBN test will indicate how much life is left in the oil. You would only need to do the test once to determine the EXACT condition of the used oil. Blackstone Labs Well worth every penny!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1200 mile oil change interval sounds ridiculous. There is a simple and accurate way to determine the condition of used oil (oil analysis). Get a free test kit from Blackstone Labs. Run the oil for the recommended change interval and send a sample of the oil for the standard oil analysis and add a TBN (total base number) test ($28+10=$38). The TBN test will indicate how much life is left in the oil. You would only need to do the test once to determine the EXACT condition of the used oil. Blackstone Labs Well worth every penny!

I had several 12k mile plus oil changes in my Acura (maintenance minder) I just had to check the oil level because it'd burn a quart

My truck is 7500-9000 on a regular basis(maintenance algorithm)

Test is smart but materials, filters, and lubricants have advanced since the 80's. So I'd like to see someone's results(I'm not at a scheduled Maintence yet)

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For almost the same amount of money I can just change it and be done.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well i sat down and read my maint schedule and it appears you are supposed to change your oil every 1200 miles. I was under the impression that since the maint minder deal is good for 600 miles that was for an oil change. What are you guys doing?
every 1200 miles.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Old school here. When you're told that oil has a shelf life today, seems like it has an engine life too.

Reactions: JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I like the idea of changing the oil at 1200 miles, just to see if there is any water or unwanted debris in the oil. I know the oil is probably still good, so I save it and use it in equipment that leaks or uses oil.

Reactions: sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like the idea of changing the oil at 1200 miles, just to see if there is any water or unwanted debris in the oil. I know the oil is probably still good, so I save it and use it in equipment that leaks or uses oil.

You put your used Honda oil in your wife's car???????

advertisement
E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
I had several 12k mile plus oil changes in my Acura (maintenance minder) I just had to check the oil level because it'd burn a quart

My truck is 7500-9000 on a regular basis(maintenance algorithm)

Test is smart but materials, filters, and lubricants have advanced since the 80's. So I'd like to see someone's results(I'm not at a scheduled Maintence yet)

For almost the same amount of money I can just change it and be done.

An oil change is almost twice the cost as an analysis. I just realized the Honda GN4 10w-30 oil is conventional oil. That somewhat explains why Honda recommends 1200 mi change intervals. High quality full synthetic oil will last way longer. I will send a sample at approx 3K miles (first full synthetic 0w-30) and I would bet it can still provide safe protection well over double that. I think one-year oil change intervals will be the criteria for changes. This will not be guessing, it will be determined by oil analysis. Again, worth every penny!

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An oil change is almost twice the cost as an analysis. I just realized the Honda GN4 10w-30 oil is conventional oil. That somewhat explains why Honda recommends 1200 mi change intervals. High quality full synthetic oil will last way longer. I will send a sample at approx 3K miles (first full synthetic 0w-30) and I would bet it can still provide safe protection well over double that. I think one-year oil change intervals will be the criteria for changes. This will not be guessing, it will be determined by oil analysis. Again, worth every penny!
That's cool with me. Not knocking what you want to do. I change my truck at 3000 running conv. My wife's 4runner @5000 on syn. And will continue to change my pioneer @1200 on conventional. At the rate I'm going The 1200 interval will be yearly.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
That's cool with me. Not knocking what you want to do. I change my truck at 3000 running conv. My wife's 4runner @5000 on syn. And will continue to change my pioneer @1200 on conventional. At the rate I'm going The 1200 interval will be yearly.

I have done extensive research for many years with motor oil (always been a motor Head). What I can tell you from FACTS is modern Toyota engines are VERY gentle on motor oil. In fact, you can run conventional oil for 10K miles safely in your 4Runner (with an analysis). If you run full synthetic, you can run one-year on the oil regardless of miles. I designed and installed an oil bypass system on my 05 4.7 V8 4Runner that the oil NEVER needed to be changed. Amsoil Full Flow & Bypass install. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

When I got rid of my 4Runner I had over 50K miles on the oil without ever changing it. I had just had an analysis done and the oil had no end in sight.

A $38 analysis will save you a LOT of money over years of changes.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have done extensive research for many years with motor oil (always been a motor Head). What I can tell you from FACTS is modern Toyota engines are VERY gentle on motor oil. In fact, you can run conventional oil for 10K miles safely in your 4Runner (with an analysis). If you run full synthetic, you can run one-year on the oil regardless of miles. I designed and installed an oil bypass system on my 05 4.7 V8 4Runner that the oil NEVER needed to be changed. Amsoil Full Flow & Bypass install. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

When I got rid of my 4Runner I had over 50K miles on the oil without ever changing it. I had just had an analysis done and the oil had no end in sight.

A $38 analysis will save you a LOT of money over years of changes.
I can see that if you drive mostly payment. Who ever heard of getting 100,000 miles on a rig back in the 70ties with out burning oil. Autos are so much better now in some aspects

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My main concern would be the filters. You do have friction material wearing off the clutches. Also swamping the machine. Probably not a bad idea to replace the filters after a hard ride.

Reactions: BigMac and sharp
W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would worry about warranty if you don't change every 1200 miles

Reactions: lee
E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
My main concern would be the filters. You do have friction material wearing off the clutches. Also swamping the machine. Probably not a bad idea to replace the filters after a hard ride.

The fact is the oil filter provides safe protection longer than the oil. Years ago the filter was changed every other oil change. Again, the analysis will tell you how effective the filters are (even the air filter). From many years of using oil analysis, I can tell you the oil filter will provide safe protection far beyond the life of the oil.

Reactions: cntryby
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!