BOX1

P1000 You guys changing your oil every 600 or 1200 miles?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are you crazy? Been there done that. Put a 1/4 turn throttle on a YAMAHA 750 78, ADJUSTED OIL VELOCITY AND OIL LEVEL IN FORKS AND SHOCK. Sorry for the yelling, just put my hearing aids back in. Only way I would buy one back would be for track use. rather have a Cobra kit car.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
My problem is a lifetime of a need for power/speed. I got to a point where I realized I could not afford a car with the power and performance I wanted. My first bike was a Z1 900 in 1975, the fastest motorcycle made at the time. My first car was a 1967 Mercury Cyclone GT with a 427 side oiler (425hp stock) which got about 4 mpg, with two Holly double pumpers.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My problem is a lifetime of a need for power/speed. I got to a point where I realized I could not afford a car with the power and performance I wanted. My first bike was a Z1 900 in 1975, the fastest motorcycle made at the time. My first car was a 1967 Mercury Cyclone GT with a 427 side oiler (425hp stock) which got about 4 mpg, with two Holly double pumpers.
When were you born? We must be about the same age. In high school the parking lot had the winged Daytona's, 6 pack Cudas, Bad to the bone Stangs and Camaros, Novas, GTO's and the baddest was a mild family looking Rambler, called the Rebel, don't remember the motor, but it would smoke the rest.

Reactions: jawquin
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When were you born? We must be about the same age. In high school the parking lot had the winged Daytona's, 6 pack Cudas, Bad to the bone Stangs and Camaros, Novas, GTO's and the baddest was a mild family looking Rambler, called the Rebel, don't remember the motor, but it would smoke the rest.

First car was a '65 GTO with a triple deuce set up, followed by numerous '55 and '57 Chevy's, a couple of Barracudas, a Chevelle or two and two other Goats, one crazy one that would pull the quarter in 11.8, which for the day and a true pull off the street, open the headers and hit the track wasn't bad. Then one day I got blown away by a Porsche, on one of my home turf roads.............. had a bunch of them.

And then the family came along and yes I still love the feel of acceleration but that beautiful, little female hand will every once in a while reach over and rest on my accelerator leg and give just a little squeeze when she thinks that I'm thinking that I'm still up for the challenge from some punk kid in his super tuned rice rocket!

Reactions: jawquin
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
First car was a '65 GTO with a triple deuce set up, followed by numerous '55 and '57 Chevy's, a couple of Barracudas, a Chevelle or two and two other Goats, one crazy one that would pull the quarter in 11.8, which for the day and a true pull off the street, open the headers and hit the track wasn't bad. Then one day I got blown away by a Porsche, on one of my home turf roads.............. had a bunch of them.

And then the family came along and yes I still love the feel of acceleration but that beautiful, little female hand will every once in a while reach over and rest on my accelerator leg and give just a little squeeze when she thinks that I'm thinking that I'm still up for the challenge from some punk kid in his super tuned rice rocket!
Ha! Live to love another day.

Reactions: ODAMO

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have done extensive research for many years with motor oil (always been a motor Head). What I can tell you from FACTS is modern Toyota engines are VERY gentle on motor oil. In fact, you can run conventional oil for 10K miles safely in your 4Runner (with an analysis). If you run full synthetic, you can run one-year on the oil regardless of miles. I designed and installed an oil bypass system on my 05 4.7 V8 4Runner that the oil NEVER needed to be changed. Amsoil Full Flow & Bypass install. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

When I got rid of my 4Runner I had over 50K miles on the oil without ever changing it. I had just had an analysis done and the oil had no end in sight.

A $38 analysis will save you a LOT of money over years of changes.
Mehhh... One inescapable fact about engine oil contamination is combustion artifacts. I know the oil isn't "worn out" as in the viscosity rating of the oil itself is still there, so it's not the oil's shortcoming, but the contaminants in the oil that will coat your internals with a goo that may eventually affect the ability of the oil's molecules to roll over the surfaces as best they can. I run 10w-30 full synthetic in my silverado 2500HD gasser with 185,000 miles and I follow the oil life monitor, which is calibrated for conventional oil. My engine runs like new with oil pressure like new and sounds new. And it's nice and shiny inside!! (from what I see down the oil fill hole!)

Reactions: Smitty335 and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
1200 mile oil change interval sounds ridiculous. There is a simple and accurate way to determine the condition of used oil (oil analysis). Get a free test kit from Blackstone Labs. Run the oil for the recommended change interval and send a sample of the oil for the standard oil analysis and add a TBN (total base number) test ($28+10=$38). The TBN test will indicate how much life is left in the oil. You would only need to do the test once to determine the EXACT condition of the used oil. Blackstone Labs Well worth every penny!
I agree, if you don't go off road, but I changed mine at 600, I know what's not in there, water, clutch material ( I have had a clutch failure at 165 hours) but I believe Honda got this sorted out. I changed oil a couple days ago and after warming up engine, dip showed proper oil level, today after warming up engine, checked oil, was barely showing on dip, Check your oil after a the day after oil change. Wasn't off much, BUT!

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree, if you don't go off road, but I changed mine at 600, I know what's not in there, water, clutch material ( I have had a clutch failure at 165 hours) but I believe Honda got this sorted out. I changed oil a couple days ago and after warming up engine, dip showed proper oil level, today after warming up engine, checked oil, was barely showing on dip, Check your oil after a the day after oil change. Wasn't off much, BUT!

Never once checked my oil... maybe I should... lol. It’s not knocking and still runs. I thought Honda’s ran without oil...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

Sure you were on really level ground ?

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have done extensive research for many years with motor oil (always been a motor Head). What I can tell you from FACTS is modern Toyota engines are VERY gentle on motor oil. In fact, you can run conventional oil for 10K miles safely in your 4Runner (with an analysis). If you run full synthetic, you can run one-year on the oil regardless of miles. I designed and installed an oil bypass system on my 05 4.7 V8 4Runner that the oil NEVER needed to be changed. Amsoil Full Flow & Bypass install. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

When I got rid of my 4Runner I had over 50K miles on the oil without ever changing it. I had just had an analysis done and the oil had no end in sight.

A $38 analysis will save you a LOT of money over years of changes.
So if it is so great why get rid of it?

Reactions: GOF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sure you were on really level ground ?
Yes my shop, it wasn't very low at all, just wasn't touching the line, yea I can be anal, HA!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!