P1000 You guys changing your oil every 600 or 1200 miles?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The fact is the oil filter provides safe protection longer than the oil. Years ago the filter was changed every other oil change. Again, the analysis will tell you how effective the filters are (even the air filter). From many years of using oil analysis, I can tell you the oil filter will provide safe protection far beyond the life of the oil.
There's still equipment out there, that don't require filters at every oil changes

Reactions: cntryby
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The fact is the oil filter provides safe protection longer than the oil. Years ago the filter was changed every other oil change. Again, the analysis will tell you how effective the filters are (even the air filter). From many years of using oil analysis, I can tell you the oil filter will provide safe protection far beyond the life of the oil.
Considering the trans filter is a little bigger around than my thumb, I don't want any pressure drop to my clutch;)

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Considering the trans filter is a little bigger around than my thumb, I don't want any pressure drop to my clutch;)

I change all oils and filters (both) every 600 miles. Oil is cheap compared to a engine or clutch. If you ride in wet environments it lets you get all the condensation out of the motor. Im sure the oil is fine but the metal and moisture is what I want out.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I change all oils and filters (both) every 600 miles. Oil is cheap compared to a engine or clutch. If you ride in wet environments it lets you get all the condensation out of the motor. Im sure the oil is fine but the metal and moisture is what I want out.
You changing sub trans fluid too every 6 ?

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes and the diffs too. It's clear but look at it in the light. Metal and moisture!
Ya when I did my oil change before the takeover changed out diff fluid as well ..had only been in about 6 months and was pretty glittery.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya when I did my oil change before the takeover changed out diff fluid as well ..had only been in about 6 months and was pretty glittery.
$70 every other month isn't going kill the beer budget. I just like the piece of mind that I've not got a large mouth bass swimming around in my motor.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I used to have several bass boats, one at a time, changed out damaged wheel bearing at least once a year. One day I pulled up to the ramp, and there was an old timer just leaning against his boat, I asked him if he was ready to launch and he told me, he was letting his spindles/bearings cool down before launching. Hugh? He told me that grease seals are designed to keep grease in, not water out. When you submerge a hot axle in cold water the metal reacts faster than the seals and acts like a vacuum=water sucked into wheel. Started letting thing cool down before launching. made at least 8 trips to Canada from NW Arkansas and all around the 4 state area, after that and ran the same bearings. I think the same thing goes for any equipment, if you submerge and don't have time to cool check oils often. Just my half bit. HA!

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
I used to have several bass boats, one at a time, changed out damaged wheel bearing at least once a year. One day I pulled up to the ramp, and there was an old timer just leaning against his boat, I asked him if he was ready to launch and he told me, he was letting his spindles/bearings cool down before launching. Hugh? He told me that grease seals are designed to keep grease in, not water out. When you submerge a hot axle in cold water the metal reacts faster than the seals and acts like a vacuum=water sucked into wheel. Started letting thing cool down before launching. made at least 8 trips to Canada from NW Arkansas and all around the 4 state area, after that and ran the same bearings. I think the same thing goes for any equipment, if you submerge and don't have time to cool check oils often. Just my half bit. HA!

Good info, thanks

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
An oil change is almost twice the cost as an analysis. I just realized the Honda GN4 10w-30 oil is conventional oil. That somewhat explains why Honda recommends 1200 mi change intervals. High quality full synthetic oil will last way longer. I will send a sample at approx 3K miles (first full synthetic 0w-30) and I would bet it can still provide safe protection well over double that. I think one-year oil change intervals will be the criteria for changes. This will not be guessing, it will be determined by oil analysis. Again, worth every penny!
Keep us posted your the oil analysis. After my warranty runs out, I may go to synthetic and some Lucas Mucas additives.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
Keep us posted your the oil analysis. After my warranty runs out, I may go to synthetic and some Lucas Mucas additives.

Synthetic will not void your warranty, it exceeds the manufacturers' recommendation. Stay away from any additives unless they are absolutely needed. Additives are chemicals, chemicals are the first thing to break down and contaminate the oil.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Synthetic will not void your warranty, it exceeds the manufacturers' recommendation. Stay away from any additives unless they are absolutely needed. Additives are chemicals, chemicals are the first thing to break down and contaminate the oil.
That's good to know. What is your back ground, some kind of a weird scientist? HA!

Reactions: BigOL3
E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
I'm a retired maintenance/engineering manager. Life-long car and motorcycle enthusiast.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm a retired maintenance/engineering manager. Life-long car and motorcycle enthusiast.
What kind of motor cycle enthusiast, dirt , street, dual sport or just fun bike, how far you go back? Combat Wombat?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What kind of motor cycle enthusiast, dirt , street, dual sport or just fun bike, how far you go back? Combat Wombat?

No way he can go back as far as you Smitty..... back before there was dirt.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No way he can go back as far as you Smitty..... back before there was dirt.
Yea when I started riding you had to carve your tires out of rocks and use gravity for speed on lava. HA!

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
My current motorcycle (200 hp). 4W2A7841 4W2A7844

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!