P1000 3k RPM - issues/hesitation/ sad trombone

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings,

For at least a month now I've been dealing with this mystery.
Uploading a video and hoping the sound is good enough so that maybe someone will recognized it.
Its very inconsistent and I rarely can start recording video to catch it.

I get some kind of hesitation right at 3k RPM with steady throttle and I can even see the RPM drop about .2k as it does this "womp" -"womp" - and the Pioneer will actually buck a little.
Once we hit 3.5 -4k it completely clears out and all runs very well.

It comes and goes and I'm not able to replicate it, for example I leave the house ride exactly the same and one day I will womp-womp all the way down the hill while the next day I coast with no issue.

All my gear shifts seem normal to me, I don't notice any clutch slipping, motor ignites/idles with no issues... in general all systems seem just fine.
This comes in Manual and Automatic mode, also in normal or sport mode.

The only constant is that it hits in the 3- 3.7k RPM range, above 4k everything is just fine.

When watching this video, turn up the volume a bit and then hit the replay 1-2 times to catch the womp

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Greetings,

For at least a month now I've been dealing with this mystery.
Uploading a video and hoping the sound is good enough so that maybe someone will recognized it.
Its very inconsistent and I rarely can start recording video to catch it.

I get some kind of hesitation right at 3k RPM with steady throttle and I can even see the RPM drop about .2k as it does this "womp" -"womp" - and the Pioneer will actually buck a little.
Once we hit 3.5 -4k it completely clears out and all runs very well.

It comes and goes and I'm not able to replicate it, for example I leave the house ride exactly the same and one day I will womp-womp all the way down the hill while the next day I coast with no issue.

All my gear shifts seem normal to me, I don't notice any clutch slipping, motor ignites/idles with no issues... in general all systems seem just fine.
This comes in Manual and Automatic mode, also in normal or sport mode.

The only constant is that it hits in the 3- 3.7k RPM range, above 4k everything is just fine.

When watching this video, turn up the volume a bit and then hit the replay 1-2 times to catch the womp

Check the Air induction valve on the throttle body, that plug has the same issue as the injector plugs. Might as well replace all three while your in there. Mine was doing the same thing, but way worse.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I don't think it's the IACV there @Smitty335.

This sounds more like gear whine to me.
When last time you changed the diff fluids? Did you go heavier?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Smitty335,
can you give me a pointer as to where I can find that valve in the manual? the air box under the seat

If I could find my manual I could. Just follow the ducting from your air cleaner back to the motor, you'll find it. There's probably nothing wrong with the valve, it's probably the wiring connector thats plugs into it. I'll keep looking for the manual.

H

HondaTech

The IACV doesnt operate with any throttle input. It only controls idle air, once it sees any degree of throttle angle it stops trying to set the idle and stays at whatever step count it was last sitting.

Does this ever occur while the unit is stationary?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The IACV doesnt operate with any throttle input. It only controls idle air, once it sees any degree of throttle angle it stops trying to set the idle and stays at whatever step count it was last sitting.

Does this ever occur while the unit is stationary?
You are 100% right thinking back on it, mine would go from 500 to 3500 hundred rpm and just bounce back and forth even when coming to a rolling stop?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Listen to this video around the 15-second mark.
Its not lunging like yours but I'm not maintaining a constant speed.

Reactions: Lady01
H

HondaTech

You are 100% right thinking back on it, mine would go from 500 to 3500 hundred rpm and just bounce back and forth even when coming to a rolling stop?

The IACV counts "steps" to locate itself. It uses those steps to help get the idle to where the ecm wants it to be.

Once the ecm sees throttle angle above 0 degrees the IACV stops and holds it's position. Once the TPS angle reaches 0 again, the IACV picks back up where it left off.

Reactions: Lady01
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This sounds more like gear whine to me.
When last time you changed the diff fluids? Did you go heavier?
I did change in the past 2+ months.
went with the Lucas 75/140 Synthetic....

@HondaTech
-->Does this ever occur while the unit is stationary?
Never, always on the move and only in that 3k-3.5k RPM range.
no matter if its 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear

advertisement
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
changed out the rear diff oil today,
I don't remember exactly when... but no more than 4 months max was the last time I changed it.
Came out black as night, took the long way back this afternoon, the womp-womp is long gone and just feels better.

Now that I know the sound so well, I can still hear it but its like a far distant memory sound and no longer feel it.
Did go back to 80/90 oil and will drain it again at next oil change just to see how its doing.

Thank you all, for the pointers.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!