P1000 4,604 mile report & Clutch Info

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
My Pioneer 1000 3 has been great. Lots of power and top speed. Some of you guys scare me with some of the clutch failures but I know for most failures it takes a lot of slipping to heat it up enough for clutch plate damage. I'm careful to avoid clutch wear and get going right away. I keep the RPM above 3000 most of the time. It looks like the clutch is not slipping above 1800 rpm. I keep the speed at or above 4 mph in low and 6 mph in high for a good safety margin. I go to remote areas and need good reliability. Occasionally its necessary to stop or nearly stop to avoid banging the frame and brief low rpm clutch slipping is no problem. I don't mind donating a minute amount of clutch material to get through some difficult areas. I use my Pioneer 700 for super low speed rock crawling. Inching along at 1 mph is no problem with the torque converter plus I use my left foot on the brake a bit to avoid bouncing.View attachment 32528
Hey, what's the wheel/tire combo in your picture? Looks like you went same size at all four corners, like I did on my Pioneer 500. I'm playing with the idea of doing a P1000 test and video series, and with some of the rough/rocky areas I ride in it would be good to have a tire setup like yours. I'm mostly curious about size.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!