A Little Car Story

J

JTW

Most peoples complaints with Chevy is that within 6 months it will have a rattle somewhere in the interior or a little wobble at a certain speed. Had a couple S-10's that ran forever too. One had over 300k when I traded it in on my Sierra, the other had 396.5k, everything still worked but body was wasted. Chevy's will shake, rattle and roll forever.
No.. most complaints are with major issues well before there should be issues.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I run and old 94 k5 Chevy and my pull SXS ride.Shes got over 100k now, And with just me I wouldn't sweat it,but as I start to go more places with pioneer and some times 2 or 3 kids. I need something more reliable.Looked at all brands and keep coming back to the Silverado.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Dude...hope you knocked
on wood. ..after that...
statement...haha

Lol, I had two buddies say the same thing yesterday! If and when it does go down, she pulled her weight, no complaints. I'll just go out and buy another little Chevy. The wife drives a 2014 Cruze that is a nice little car, try to talk her into an Equinox or something but that's what she wanted. Can't get one with a manual trans in the states though. Anything with a 4 cyl, I like to be able to downshift and grab power.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Have you owned all three? And any "award" given is based on the reviewers, what?

Actually I have but not in the last 25 yrs, been all GM. We all know you can find info to back or debunk any position you take these days. They all have their strong and weak points. In a perfect world they would make a truck with a Dodge motor, GM trans, Ford axles and the longevity of a Honda Accord. ;)

advertisement
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice! Got any pics, any of them? My next truck will be a 3/4 ton Duramax. Does yours have the Allison trans too?

DuraMax package has the Allison. SWEET!

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Didn't know where to post this and didn't want to step on anyone else's thread. This is the only social media I do so thought I'd share it with you guys.

First a little back story...
Live in Michigan, home of the big three but when you get up to mid state and further north it's Chevy country. You'll see everything else but probably 6 or 7 out of ten are GM. My grandmother retired from AC spark plug, my dad from Chevy, brother worked there for a time and my father in law retired from there. If any family member buys another brand they catch hell, especially if it's acting up you'll hear, guess you shoulda' bought a Chevy or I'm not helping you work on that pos.

I'm a construction superintendent and jobs are all over the place, gotta chase it in this field, so I do a lot of driving and many miles. Have always drove trucks and 4 wd's but back in '08, when gas prices hit $4, fuel cost was killing me. Went out and bought an '07 Cobalt w/16k miles for $8800 OTD. Little 4 banger with a 5 speed manual. Was a salvaged title as it had been hit in the front end but had been gone through, it drove straight and looked good so I figured wth. Got 35 mpg out of the gate. First oil change I put in Royal Purple full synthetic, mainly so I wouldn't have to change the oil once a month. I've driven this car hard, I hit 90 mph daily, today in fact, and have had it over a hundred a few times. Always keep up on the maintenance, tires, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. Hasn't been a money pit either, less than you'd expect. Rolled 300k with it today and she's still purring.

A lot of folks look down on GM due to the bailout and all, to the best of my knowledge they paid it all back with interest? The Cobalt also got a bad name with the ignition shutting off while driving problem, never got mine done, still get recall notices occasionally. If it ain't broke...?

View attachment 45414 Sorry for the novel but FWIW, this is why 'Bow Tie til I die'!
P.S. That engine light has been on since 35k, have replaced parts per the code and it just keeps coming back, pretty typical for a Chevy. ;)

Update;
Took the little Cobalt to 311,500 miles. It was going through oil and antifreeze at the end and then began starting hard. Still ran 90 once you got it started, she loved the freeway, just couldn't trust it anymore being that far from home everyday. Found a dealer that was giving $2500 minimum trade in, not push pull or drag, it had to be running. Got it started one more time and traded it in on another Chevy. It was kinda sad just leaving her there in that lot. :(
Then I walked over to the new commuter, a new 2017 Trax AWD and I stole it! After incentives, GM option 1 and my trade the dealer and everyone I talked to said they lost money on the deal. $16,500 otd. The sticker on it was over 23k. I'd post a pic but it looks pretty plain Jane right now, small and kinda girly, lol. Bunch of sh** coming for it though, I'll post a pic after I throw some testosterone on it.
Btw, found out that everything comes off the line with synthetic in it now, no need for a conventional oil break in period.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm still [HASHTAG]#moparornocar[/HASHTAG] lol! I'm on my 7th consecutive Mopar vehicle, loved every one of them except the damn van.

Reactions: trigger
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Nice Trigg! If I had to buy an alternative it would be a Chevy like you with Ford. I was a Chevy guy till I got my tech certification though a ford program, ben Ford ever since. Had 285,000 on a 95' F250 before I sold it. You beat me lol. Congrats on the new Little truck buddy. Movin up in the world. ;)

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh...isn't it funny how all of us Michiganders have relatives that works or worked at one of the big 3's ? I had 5 in my family, GM Saginaw steering gear and Ford Saline plant. Lol

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
now you have something to do since you said awhile ago you were done with the p5. :D

I know right? Can't get too crazy on this thing though, I'm trying to resist. Thumping stereo, powder coating the wheels black, Weather Tech floor and cargo mats, tinting the windows, vent visors and hood deflector, after market console, seat covers, blacking out the bowties and badges. Bigger badder tires after these wear out. That should do it. ;)

Reactions: tr005
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Congrats on the new Little truck buddy.

Thanks Remmy! Funny you're calling it a truck, I've been calling it a car since I got it and the wife keeps telling me 'it's not a car'. She's right it's not a car but it's not exactly a truck either. I've owned SUV's too and this still feels different, has a tiny 4 cyl in it but DOHC and Turbo. Kind of like a little station wagon lifted up with AWD. Getting better gas mileage than the Cobalt was already.

advertisement