advice about a trailer

L

LAairhunter

Dec 21, 2013
Dear Gang,

I've been perusing this forum for the past couple of months, and I've now ordered (but not received) a 4 seater Pioneer. I'm not too savvy about trailers so I thought I'd enlist y'all's help.

I'd like a good quality trailer (aluminum?) that I can fit the Pioneer and possibly even an ATV on; yet, I'd like to also be able to tow the trailer behind the Pioneer occasionally.

Any thoughts or insights? Are my desires about towing the trailer with the Pioneer realistic?

TIA for any advice,
Mark
Mobile, AL

bdech15

bdech15

Dec 2, 2013
www.facebook.com
I have an Aluma 6812 H I just got and I love it. Aluminum is the only way to go if you don't like staining wood and painting steel every year

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With as much salt in the air as y'all have down there, ALUMINUM. I a have wood and steel 12x6 dovetail but no salt air here, gives me enough room to have good angle on the tie downs.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I agree aluminum is the way to go (albeit a pricey). The smallest size I would go with is a 6' x 10'. The ideal size is a 7' x 12' since this size allows for any future accessories or add-on's; and it allows more ability to find the "sweet spot" on the trailer ( front to back). Ideally, you want to position the Pioneer to have enough hitch tongue weight (approx. 15% of trailer load) yet place the majority of the weight over the axle(s). Finding the sweet spot on the trailer will minimize sway and bounce will towing and greatly improve handling. The other thing to look for is a minimum of 3500 lb rated axle and 15" wheels. I've had bad experiences with the cheap (China bomb) trailer tires that are being sold out there. I've had blow outs on my boat, 5th wheel, snowmobile and utility trailers. All were the low quality mainland China made (including Goodyear marathon) tires. I've upgraded all my trailer tires to load range D or E ST tires ( Maxxis brand) and have never had a problem since. While towing the Pioneer compared to my previous ATV's, the center of gravity is higher due to the Pioneer being taller. I have noticed a bit more side to side sway, so it is very important to have the Pioneer located on the sweet spot of the trailer.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Merry Christmas LA and welcome to the community.
About hauling the Pioneer + an ATV. This is currently my challenge as I just bought a 7x12 last year so I could haul 3 atv's. Now only the Pioneer will fit. :-(
I'm looking for a 7x14 trailer but that may be tight fit if you have a large size Atv turned sideways.
A Foreman or rancher should fit fine with normal wheel specs.

Pioneer is just under 10ft long bumper to bumper.
ATV is 4 ft wide.

As for pulling the trailer behind the Pioneer. No problem. It can handle it for normal work. It's rated to pull 1500 lbs but will pull more on flat ground.

Hope we helped you and would love to see what you finally buy.
Thanks.

R

rellison110

Nov 16, 2013
I have an echo trailer and could not be happier. It s heavy duty but light weight, drop down ramps and it is designed for off road use. Pricey, but worth every penny.

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
I bought a 77" x 16' tandem axle with brakes on the rear axle, ramp gate. In addition to the p4 I want to be able to haul the 300, or Swisher trailcutter or disc. Harbor Freight strap winch is welded to the front.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
I have owned an Aluma trailer for many years. Mine is 5'x 10' long…..and has a ramp tail gate and a torsion axel that is rated to 3000 lbs. My Pioneer just fits on this trailer…..and it is towed very nicely. Yesterday I hauled my fish house onto the ice with the trailer behind the Pioneer. Worked slick. The trailer is not too big for the Pioneer.

The only issue I see is that if I get bigger tires or want to use a snow plow on the Pioneer…..then I will need a bigger trailer. (but I also own a cart trailer) If you stay "stock" your golden with a 5x10' aluminum trailer (if you buy the right axel and GVW).

Aluminum trailers are the way to go…..IMO. They may cost more…..but they last longer and you can tow it better with the Pioneer.

If I were buying a new trailer, I may go a foot wider and two feet longer (6x12) as I could then haul with a snow plow and could use wider tires…..but I would need to investigate a bit more. I sure like NOT having too large of a trailer…..and mine follows in my vehicle wheel tracks and is easy to tow.

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
I have an all steel 5x10 tilt trailer with 15" wheels and an expanded metal floor in it. My Pioneer is about 1/2" too wide to fit on it. I plan to widen it soon. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to tow it behind the Pioneer, I move it around by hand all the time which should explain how light it is.

advertisement
R

rellison110

Nov 16, 2013
It is a 10 footer. Room for just te utv. Single axle. I tow it behind a 2013 explorer and have had it on some long trips. It runs at 75 or better and even with the single axle, the suspension is such that you don't get the bounce at the hitch. There you have it. I would buy it again.

bdech15

bdech15

Dec 2, 2013
www.facebook.com
Pioneer on aluminum trailer

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387762921639.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387762921639.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3,739
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
bdech15,
Nice trailer there. Looks like it would pull nice.

?
Have you painted your Pioneer?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the Black! A new color is emerging.

Is it ok to use the winch as a tie down? I have never hauled a vehicle with a winch before the P4 and considered it. However I am worried about the significant dynamic loads added when accelerating, cornering and stopping. I am using (2) 2" 2000lb ratchet straps.

Jerry3

Jerry3

Lifetime Member
Jul 8, 2013
Arkville, NY
I would be afraid to use the winch just because I feel it would eventually add unwanted stress to it. Ratchet straps are cheap...

bdech15

bdech15

Dec 2, 2013
www.facebook.com
I plasti-dipped it, based on the results from another user in this forum. Turned out great, we will see how it holds up. Very cheap too! 5.98 per can and it peels off if you don't like it or want to change colors.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I put two cans on mine, it was 12$ a roll of tape and an old newspaper.

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
Just bought a Big Tex yesterday. Well built trailer- shy away from Carry On, just look at the welds and attention to detail. There are two 12' Alumas (no rear lift gate, just ramp load) for sale in Kimberly Idaho. She is asking 1795 each in new condition. Might have went that route, but when I did not here from her until after I purchased the Big Tex.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!