Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The paper type element is green in color and it acts like it is oiled but it is not,,so dirt sticks to it and can not be shook off even by smacking it on a flat surface. I hope someone comes up with one that can be cleaned as opposed to paying for a forty dollar filter after a couple of days of riding in semi dusty or sandy conditions. Poor planning on Honda
Yep, here’s mine after 400 miles. No way will it come off by tapping it against anything.....

07F4E56A 6984 4A9C 9D4F E2684B874CCB

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry I confused the RC2 with the uni filter people put on the inlet to the plenum. How is the RC2 filter working? Do you find any misting in the plenum or intakes? I am nervous about washable filters after K&N failures with RZRs.
I’d like to hear an answer to this question as well. Seems like if it was left to dry long enough after cleaning it would be ok?????

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’d like to hear an answer to this question as well. Seems like if it was left to dry long enough after cleaning it would be ok?????
If you are asking about washing the Honda filter, that would not be a good thing. That's why they don't want you to use compressed air on it either. There is a high likelihood you will create small openings in the filter paper/ membrane and that will allow dust to enter the engine. I was warned by the shop when I bought my first RZR800 9 years ago, don't use washable filters like K & N they allow more dirt past them than a paper filter and people have ruined their engines.

Honda has a bad design for their air intake and filter/plenum setup. But filters and oil are way cheaper than an engine. That's why I opted for the KWT pre-filter. To allow less dirt to the filter in the first place. $400 isn't cheap, but peace of mind and getting 1400 miles plus out of a $50 filter eventually pays for itself.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you are asking about wasting the Honda filter, that would not be a good thing.
No, I absolutely was not. I was referring to the notion that a made to be cleaned filter would be ok if it was completely dry when returned to service. Such as the R2C that was recommended.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
No, I absolutely was not. I was referring to the notion that a made to be cleaned filter would be ok if it was completely dry when returned to service. Such as the R2C that was recommended.
Oh ok that's good. Yeah I would like to know more about the R2C, whether they have done any flow testing or dynometer testing. What size particles will it catch? Things like that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh ok that's good. Yeah I would like to know more about the R2C, whether they have done any flow testing or dynometer testing. What size particles will it catch? Things like that.
Right, so hopefully @highpocket74 will provide some of that soon...🤞

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Highpocket posted the spec sheet in his R2C thread iffn you can find it. It looks really good but it's still a pleated paper filter in a dirt environment. Teamed with your KWT would be a very good combo IMO.

To clarify - my reservation about pleated paper elements isn't their filtering ability (they're very efficient, unlike the K&N), it's their limited cleaning ability. Done wrong, you'll introduce pinhole(s) without knowing, eventually. And as much as the R2C costs, guys will be inclined to use them past their prime. Now that I have some miles on Hondabob's snorkel, I think he hit on the ideal solution, at least for me. The one downside is cleaning the thing, when well oiled they become a goopy mess when dirty. Cleaning and reoiling the Uni sucks.

TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm a new talon owner and last weekend was my first outing riding about 55 miles on dusty gravel roads.
Tonight I looked at the filter and it is more dirty than I'm comfortable by using it again. It says to not use compressed air to reverse clean it so that is not possible.

I kant think buying a new 40 dollar filter ever time I take a ride is justified. What is everyone experiencing with this issue I may be having.

Is there a good after market filter that is reusable available ??. I'm concerned about the sand dunes as well,,, in my ATV days I used a K&N filter with a outer wear and I oiled the inside of the air box,, never a problem.
RC2 filter is cleanable. Install a seperator. I installed a KWT and it works great. No motor likes S&B.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@highpocket74
Where are you? 😊
Does the R2C come with cleaning instructions and if care is taken can it be performed without damaging it? And how many times can it be cleaned if done so properly, before it needs to be replaced? And could you link to the information you already have posted somewhere on this? Thanks

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
R2C advertises particle filtration down to 0.3 micron. To put that into perspective, that is the size of common bacteria! This is a synthetic media not paper, that's how it can be cleaned numerous times. Paper filters are not intended to be cleaned. They are for one time use only. The particle size filteration is comparable to Donaldson filters, which are know for high quality filtration but still not a cleanable filter. Nearly all air filter manufacturers don't even publish particle size filtration so this fact alone proves the confidence R2C has in their filter media.

I've not seen any dyno info on the R2C filters. There are many testimonials by dirt track racers that are good to read.

I've been using these filters since 2015 on my RZR 800. The filter alone was a huge improvement over the stock air box setup on those machines. I have nothing but confidence in these filters from personal use, and that's why I sell them. using these filters in my (2) ACE 900 SP machines, used in my RZR S 1000, and now in my Talon.

Reactions: Montecresto
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
@highpocket74
Where are you? 😊
Does the R2C come with cleaning instructions and if care is taken can it be performed without damaging it? And how many times can it be cleaned if done so properly, before it needs to be replaced? And could you link to the information you already have posted somewhere on this? Thanks

The filter does come with cleaning instructions. Can be blown out backwards with 60 pounds of air or soaked in a mild soap solution. It must be completely dry before placed back in service. And in my personal experience, I've never washed one, tapped loose dust off and blew out with air. Then hit the trail again.

There is no specific limit to the number of uses so I can't answer that but will ask R2C for their advice.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
R2C advertises particle filtration down to 0.3 micron. To put that into perspective, that is the size of common bacteria! This is a synthetic media not paper, that's how it can be cleaned numerous times. Paper filters are not intended to be cleaned. They are for one time use only. The particle size filteration is comparable to Donaldson filters, which are know for high quality filtration but still not a cleanable filter. Nearly all air filter manufacturers don't even publish particle size filtration so this fact alone proves the confidence R2C has in their filter media.

I've not seen any dyno info on the R2C filters. There are many testimonials by dirt track racers that are good to read.

I've been using these filters since 2015 on my RZR 800. The filter alone was a huge improvement over the stock air box setup on those machines. I have nothing but confidence in these filters from personal use, and that's why I sell them. using these filters in my (2) ACE 900 SP machines, used in my RZR S 1000, and now in my Talon.
That’s great, thank you. I’ve ordered one and it shipped this morning. Does it come with cleaning instructions?

Edit!!! Looks like we posted at the same time.....🤣

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The filter does come with cleaning instructions. Can be blown out backwards with 60 pounds of air or soaked in a mild soap solution. It must be completely dry before placed back in service. And in my personal experience, I've never washed one, tapped loose dust off and blew out with air. Then hit the trail again.

There is no specific limit to the number of uses so I can't answer that but will ask R2C for their advice.
Very well. Thank you.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I sell a LOT of these filters out west and the midwest. In over a year of selling over 150 of these filters, not one has come back or complaints received. I'm uploading pics of my talon filter and air box from my phone now for you to see. It's taking a little while.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The most important thing is air intake location. Up front under the hood like most car and trucks may be best and up high under the roof is also a good location for clean air. I went 10,000 miles before cleaning my under roof UNI pre filter. Now at 5,000 miles its still ok but I will replace it at 6,000 or 7,000 miles with this $30 pre oiled air filter available at most auto parts stores.

20200514 153211 resized
20200514 161711 resized

Reactions: CID
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Intake location is definately a bad design by Honda and Polaris. The factory location is a negative pressure space behind the cab while traveling. So dust naturally flows into this area.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I made a under roof snorkel for my buddy's RZR 1000 and made one for the air filter and belt drive intake on my RZR 900. The single seat Polaris 1000 has the air intake up under the roof.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Still running stock intake. So the dirty side was of course dirty.

Pic below taken after ridden on 50 miles of national forest trails this month. Air box and filter were cleaned prior to this ride.
86643989 0E6C 4533 A80B 7EC58994272C

The point I'd like to make is that these are main air filter elements that work well, not precleaners. That is why I shared the clean side of the airbox with you guys. You can add precleaners to extend maintenance intervals and filter life.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!