P1000m5 Allen Adventure

AllenAdventure

AllenAdventure

May 23, 2016
Charlotte NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased our machine 2 months ago to be able to go out and ride with my wife and eight year old boy - girl twins. The kids have been riding four wheelers since they were four my wife has a 500cc polaris. I got the five seater with the idea of being able to carry everyone, but now they seem to always want to drive their own.
I've got the bike moving in the right directions in terms of suiting my particular needs.

Mods so far:
Roof
Two piece windshield. (Only running the bottom due to heat)
Mirrors
Insulation under seat. ebay. It works!
Front Brush Bar
Bed extender
Walker Evans Shocks
High Lifter A Arms
Mud Lite 30" tires on stock rims. 10" wide front - 12" wide rear.

Still to come:
Dual Battery
Rocker switch panel and volt meter
Winch
Lights- Front, rear, side and interior
Sound Bar
STI wheels
Snorkel , vent diff's and transmission
Gears

The information on this forum has been more than helpful trying to get this beast working like I want. For my taste, If the weight weren't quite as much, I would have run the 8 ply STI Outbacks. When they eventually come out with some gear reduction for our machines that will probably be my future setup. I purchased the high lifter shock extension kit in the event the A Arms didn't give me enough clearance for the tires, but didn't need them for this set up. The tires measure a true 30" with 10 lbs of air. Because of how tucked in the tires are with the stock wheels there was a slight rub at full lock so we used the bump stops that came with the arms and eliminated the rub, and turn radius is still good. I think a wheel spacer or an aftermarket wheel with a 5+2 offset would solve that issue and allow the removal of the stops.

We road Saturday and Sunday at Carolina Adventure World in a wide variety of conditions.The WE shocks are set right now about the halfway mark of the 16 possibilities. The ride in the choppy bumpy conditions is drastically improved. I should have measured the fender height before and after but I didn't. It must be doing something positive on the ride height because the clearance the on front tires is significant. If I installed the lift right now it looks like a 32" would be possible, with 5+2 wheels.

I plan on playing with the shock settings on the ride next weekend. As soon as I get the mud off so I can see them. The transmition and clutch seemed unaffected by the additional tire height. I don't let the motor lug on climbs but still could climb everything it would bfore with no chatter or issues. I can't really speak to loss or gain on top end as we never get over about 35-40 mph in the conditions we ride. I did run into another guy running Outlaw 2's in deep mud that hurt his transmission whjile we were there.

I'll post some more pictures when we make some more progress. I have about 450 miles racked up so far and am very pleased with how capable this is for a big heavey machine, capable of hauling so many. Even if I can't hardly get them to ride with me.

More to come.........

Loaded up Front shot Side shot Rear shot IMG 1994 Tire comparison

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
How good are the shocks? Or how s***y for the price? Lol

Reactions: amc019
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I would like to be updated on the WE shocks as well. They're damn expensive, but would make a big difference if they're tuned right.

D

Dnorris1369

Jun 18, 2016
North Carolina
Which windshield do you have. How do you like it so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllenAdventure

AllenAdventure

May 23, 2016
Charlotte NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How good are the shocks? Or how s***y for the price? Lol
My goal was to soften up the ride. Adjusted at the halfway point it has made a significant difference. I ran it around an oval track that I had run with the stock set up and didn't notice a big difference in body roll either. I'm going to try a softer setting next weekend. It's never going to be like a long travel suspension but it is right now night and day from stock. Worth the price is hard to say yet, but when you look at the cost for Can Am and Polaris performance shocks, they're all crazy. I'm afraid about the time I get this worked out Honda will releaser some Bad Ass performance 2 seater and I'll be wanting to expand the stable.

Last edited:
AllenAdventure

AllenAdventure

May 23, 2016
Charlotte NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dropped the Pioneer off today at my friends dealership to get my sound bar installed. While I was there they told them Honda had sent them about five boxes with new heat shield components Honda had developed to address the heat complaints. Evidently this is one of five sets they've sent out to get some real world feedback before they decide if this will fix the issues. We're running close to 100 with the heat index in Charlotte pretty regularly. Last weekend, with the ebay available heat shield, things were marketable better. That solution unfortunately only helps the front seat and doesn't help the passengers. The shop guys hadn't even opened all the boxes yet but said there was some kind of rubber material there that was supposed to go under all the seats that absorbs heat from the bottom but doesn't transfer it. I'm supposed to get it back Friday evening and run it this weekend. I'll post more on it when I have more information.

advertisement
AllenAdventure

AllenAdventure

May 23, 2016
Charlotte NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ended up putting the HighLift kit on. I really feel like it gained more than the advertised. Taking it out tomorrow to see how the shocks react to the change.

Image Image Image Image Image

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That is really cool! It will be hard for you to find a rut to get high centered in, that's for sure.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep us updated on the Honda heat shield and what all it may entail

AllenAdventure

AllenAdventure

May 23, 2016
Charlotte NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep us updated on the Honda heat shield and what all it may entail
Im going to talk to my mechanic friend at the dealership and get his take. I honestly saw an improvement. I drive in some pretty nasty mud. I can't imagine those fans would be very happy when subjected to two or three foot of goo. Unless it does something unexpected on my next outing I think they've made an improvement for the front seat. I don't see where there's been anything done that's going to help passengers in the back. Fortunately my kids have all been too busy riding their own bikes to want to pile in with dad. I'll post something after I can ask some questions.

AllenAdventure

AllenAdventure

May 23, 2016
Charlotte NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the new lifts now coming out and the portals I'm beginning to wish I hadn't jumped so quick with the highlifter set up. It's definitely improved the capability of the machine, but I see the gear reduction a must for the long term health of the drivetrain. I can imagine how much better the 30" tire setup would perform with 30% gear reduction. We're going to see some wild builds for sure over the next couple of months for sure.

Reactions: Delton and joeymt33
advertisement