Ragnar's Ride And Adventures

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also a couple of pics from Sat and @my99svt getting into a little trouble... going up a trail he got well you’ll see below. Note that his roll cage was stuck on a rock on the drivers side preventing movement

View attachment 164529 View attachment 164530 View attachment 164532 View attachment 164533 View attachment 164531

that is also a steep bank getting down there to help him lol.

Try climbing up with one leg... good thing Tim pulled me up. Haha. He would pull me up and I would stop then he would climb some more and pull me again! Lol. [HASHTAG]#CrippleLife[/HASHTAG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Try climbing up with one leg... good thing Tim pulled me up. Haha. He would pull me up and I would stop then he would climb some more and pull me again! Lol. [HASHTAG]#CrippleLife[/HASHTAG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kinda like a human centipede

Reactions: Mudwing and nbomar
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Drove to @Kilo427 casa this evening ..
59CC0A00 6CA8 4080 ABAD 1DED31927288 47F7DFA3 107B 4958 B2D7 A7019BF1FF53 A3064409 DCCA 4A7A AF2C 347909B3D5FE 18204CB9 E096 40AB 81E3 766BD9F916DF

He is putting in some weld nuts for the skid plate (since I ripped out my self tappers when we rode Tackett) and helping brace up the underside.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In progress on a changing out a rear dif seal to the drive shaft. Huge Thanks to @joeymt33 who walked me through the procedure and what I would encounter.

Some pics - I had to take a break but about to put it all back together

A8287CD8 F7D2 4C50 8E4C 456FAC85DA234C4D0000 C43A 4546 B21F 8B9C063B016C309605F5 08AD 4E09 9ED1 C841BE6535FE

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Real seal change out appears to be a success as I found no leaks around the new seal and the Honda can move forward and backwards. Finished off the day yesterday riding will @nbomar and @my99svt at Rush Springs.

F44B4A98 CBC9 44BB 850F 083A92AC5600 BE71234F E55A 4360 9497 A6470396EAB6 0B39D08C 26D5 4116 9883 A3B8BD58E4D8

Always mean to take more pics

I had also been experiencing every now and then a harder time getting into low gear with some time the beginning of a grind... so prior to the ride I did pull the battery and adjust the cable for the shifter and while I made just a slight change I did not experience any issues going into low yesterday - hopefully this cleared up the issue.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Back Somewhere around the Overland adventure (maybe even before) I recognized that something was off with the way my honda was riding but I could not quite place it. While I am still not sure I found "it" I discovered that my Fox shocks appeared to be really low on nitrogen. Basically what was happening is after riding (at some speed) over rough terrain a couple of my shock would make a "pop" or 'bop" sound leading me to believe that I might need to put limiting straps on as if they might be overextending at certain points... Seems that is a classic symptom of needing additional nitrogen.

Seeing some of the talon guys have issue with their fox shocks leaking nitrogen due to the rubber seal on fox shocks I just added in these
reservoir replacement end caps on to my shocks and had them recharged. - these end caps have Schrader valves which are not prone to leaks and much easier to recharge
Upload 2020 1 10 8 29 41

Sure enough the right front shock (where the noise was most noticeable) did not have much gas in them at all (when released) and my rears were probably at half of what they needed. I just installed the shocks back on my honda last night so have not had a chance to take for a ride and test out - So while I am confident that the shock needed the charge I don't yet know 100% if this solves my issue

IMG 6360

also adds in a little more volume of gas that may or may not help out with cooling

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Back Somewhere around the Overland adventure (maybe even before) I recognized that something was off with the way my honda was riding but I could not quite place it. While I am still not sure I found "it" I discovered that my Fox shocks appeared to be really low on nitrogen. Basically what was happening is after riding (at some speed) over rough terrain a couple of my shock would make a "pop" or 'bop" sound leading me to believe that I might need to put limiting straps on as if they might be overextending at certain points... Seems that is a classic symptom of needing additional nitrogen.

Seeing some of the talon guys have issue with their fox shocks leaking nitrogen due to the rubber seal on fox shocks I just added in these
reservoir replacement end caps on to my shocks and had them recharged. - these end caps have Schrader valves which are not prone to leaks and much easier to recharge
View attachment 175598

Sure enough the right front shock (where the noise was most noticeable) did not have much gas in them at all (when released) and my rears were probably at half of what they needed. I just installed the shocks back on my honda last night so have not had a chance to take for a ride and test out - So while I am confident that the shock needed the charge I don't yet know 100% if this solves my issue

View attachment 175600

also adds in a little more volume of gas that may or may not help out with cooling
So which ones did you go with - gen 1 or 2, metal or fox o-ring?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 175598

View attachment 175600

I'm definitely following this. I had the same happening on the front shocks of mine. I read someone said they backed off preload and it quit. I backed off 1/2 inch of preload last week and made the ground clearance even with the rear. I have yet to ride it yet and see if it's still making that sound.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So which ones did you go with - gen 1 or 2, metal or fox o-ring?
Gen 2, 2in. I ordered the fox o ring.
Yep - Mine are the Metal cap but I did order the O ring cap

The metal cap is on the left and the o ring cap is on the right (both top) the O ring cap basically covers the indention around the valve and will help keep it clean.

Upload 2020 1 10 14 10 58

if you look at the bottom of the page it will link you to a video of installation. Also @TerryH has a good install video he did on his talon shocks

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm definitely following this. I had the same happening on the front shocks of mine. I read someone said they backed off preload and it quit. I backed off 1/2 inch of preload last week and made the ground clearance even with the rear. I have yet to ride it yet and see if it's still making that sound.

I also went ahead and took 2 rotations out of each of the shock to lower preload.. I cant remember the measurements now.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When I went to an aftermarket spring, I lost about 1/2" via the preload setting and it did seem to reduce the amount I hear the bang, which to me seems to come from my passenger front the most, but I do still hear it.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I received a few questions on the difference between the Metal cap and the O-ring cap. Mine came with the metal cap but i ordered the O-ring cap as that is what I should have done to begin with. you can see the difference below the metal cap is basically like any valve stem cap and serves basically the same purpose.
IMG 6365
The O-ring cap fits down so that it covers the entire steam and seals up the recessed part of the reservoir cap as you can see in the pics below
IMG 6366 IMG 6367

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A couple months a go i guess i wanted to change something up so i decided to change out my storage boxes from Rigid to Milwaukee. For the money Rigid boxes are 2nd to none and the Milwaukee boxes are quite a bit more expensive - however were on sale over Christmas so i picked a few up. I have been quite pleased and will likely be expanding in the future.

One thing I definitely like about the Milwaukee pack out system is how they mount to each other and they fact that they make mounting plates that you can get

Below is a picture of the mounting plate secured to the back of my honda - the seat can still lift up as well

IMG 6222

Picture of the Small Tool Box hooked in
IMG 6221

I have only purchased 2 of the Packout Boxes their Small and Medium size. the Small size is pictured above and below - it comes with 4 removable trays that sit off to the side - they are about the same internal height as the rigid small box but a little deeper - I can actually get all my tools I had in the small rigid box and my impact into this box - these pics below are early pictures when I was trying to first pack - but you can see the 4 trays
IMG 6134 IMG 6133

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going to the Medium box - which again is about the same internal height as the medium Rigid box but again is deeper as illustrated in the pics below - While on the outside the rigid box is taller it still has basically same internal height. You can see the difference in the dept on the side profile.
IMG 6119 IMG 6120
Comes with one tray (that I currently have removed)
59406000818  4EFFBF75 0F7A 438B A801 00244A198AAB
I am working on an internal divider for this box to help stabilize everything - I primarily use this box for holding trail snacks and extra jacket etc during normal use. On Overland journeys I will pack it out more.
IMG 6379
Picture of it installed in the back of the honda - one think i will call out is that I really like the bars on the corner - I feel I could run a cable through them to the grab bar on the front of the Dump bed for extra security if leaving them in there - the boxes have a reinforced place for a lock - I am not naive where there is a will there is a way but anything to slow them down and make noise
59598826792  CAE19775 1B5D 49AB B665 919E49076EC4

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going to the Medium box - which again is about the same internal height as the medium Rigid box but again is deeper as illustrated in the pics below - While on the outside the rigid box is taller it still has basically same internal height. You can see the difference in the dept on the side profile.
View attachment 177153 View attachment 177154
Comes with one tray (that I currently have removed)
View attachment 177151
I am working on an internal divider for this box to help stabilize everything - I primarily use this box for holding trail snacks and extra jacket etc during normal use. On Overland journeys I will pack it out more.
View attachment 177156
Picture of it installed in the back of the honda - one think i will call out is that I really like the bars on the corner - I feel I could run a cable through them to the grab bar on the front of the Dump bed for extra security if leaving them in there - the boxes have a reinforced place for a lock - I am not naive where there is a will there is a way but anything to slow them down and make noise
View attachment 177152
I like that I've been look for like the extra top to do same thing with my craftman boxes

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!