P500 Automatic Mode Shifting Confusing??

P

PioneerPapaw

Oct 6, 2017
N. Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure I like or understanding the reason my 500 shifts up and down, as terrain and speed changes....Sales guy said it would learn my shifting habits??? How so? Would rather ride in Manual mode so I can dictate and more senseably maintain the proper gear....

Help me out??

Reactions: rocmar
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I leave it in auto and tap the paddles once in a while. If I have a big hill to climb or descend, I'll put it in manual.
Al

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Seems like a lot of people complain about the auto mode on the newer machines.

Reactions: rocmar
P

PioneerPapaw

Oct 6, 2017
N. Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Believe that Ill leave auto mode for flat terrain.....manual for anything else!

Reactions: R-Lamm
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I have not had issues with my newer 500 and shifting. I like the AT for when the kids are just playing around on the flat ground. But when I am using it...usually in the deer woods...I end up in MT to be able to have a little more control over it. Seems like if I do not do that I always feel like I end up riding right there on the edge of shifting...so it bounces back and forth...but then again that may be because I am not wide open everywhere I go!?

Reactions: AlR
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Salesmen who say a transmission will learn your shift/driving habits are full of s*** . oops , can I say that ?
Oh yeah...and I 100% agree with @HUCK on this one!!! :)

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Salesmen who say a transmission will learn your shift/driving habits are full of s*** . oops , can I say that ?
A salesman will say anything but that the transmission will learn is pushing the BS to the limits.

Reactions: rocmar and HUCK
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When riding the trails lately I’ve been leaving it in auto just to see how it handles it and it does shift often. I guess it’s doing what it’s designed to do. I still like riding in manual better tho.

Reactions: R-Lamm and Mudder
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Seems like a lot of people complain about the auto mode on the newer machines.
Another problem....
manual paddle shifters
was a big sellin feature..
for me...worst thing..Honda
added..I stay with the original
2015...P5...
IMO..
There's not a big enough span
..in speed between gears..for me
to justify. .it being there...
oh..for that guy who don't put
..his beer....down...
got it..
haha...

Reactions: DG Rider
advertisement
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with everyone who says auto shift learns is BS. I'm probably 50/50 auto or manual. Auto on smooth roads and trails or when my nephew is driving manual for rough or steep trails. It's still better than all the Polaris I ride with coming to a complete stop to go from high to low range when conditions change to keep from burning a belt. I can leave it in auto and go anywhere I want I just prefer manual mode if on rough terrain.

Reactions: Little_g
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Use MT about 90%, but like the 2017 auto downshifting to the right gear when slowing down or stopping. Dont know if the first model did that. Agree with @NitroxDiver, If no paddle shift manual option, then would regret it,... but the extra $500 for all that was added was worth it to me (shocks, redesigned side bar and AT option). BA 50 inch restricted trails machine for the money. Wish there was an aftermarket computer tuner to tinker with, got one to adjust my Mustang shift points, etc, and it works great.

Reactions: NitroxDiver
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
All this talk about paddle shifting still makes me think they should have made them smaller and put them both on the left side. Frees up your right hand for plowing, would be nice on a straight away and would allow for a full grip with the right hand when needed. Could be shifting with two fingers instead of two hands. o_O

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All this talk about paddle shifting still makes me think they should have made them smaller and put them both on the left side. Frees up your right hand for plowing, would be nice on a straight away and would allow for a full grip with the right hand when needed. Could be shifting with two fingers instead of two hands. o_O
Hey Trigger! Have you heard about member Cassy McClure, 39 years of age, diagnosed with aggressive great cancer? White lighting is having a raffle for a new hand gun to raise travel expenses to Chicago mutable trips. Jasson, Cassy's husband goes by Buckydoo here. Jasson basically cooked the whole fish fry for us this month at our Bear Creek Ride! $5.00 for a ticket. With as many members as we have here, if half of us bought a ticket, it would lessen there burden a lot. Please encourage members to get involved and help me spread the word. Thanks

Reactions: trigger
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Need power steering, you could use the paddle shifters and pick your nose at the same time;)!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Trigger! Have you heard about member Cassy McClure, 39 years of age, diagnosed with aggressive great cancer? White lighting is having a raffle for a new hand gun to raise travel expenses to Chicago mutable trips. Jasson, Cassy's husband goes by Buckydoo here. Jasson basically cooked the whole fish fry for us this month at our Bear Creek Ride! $5.00 for a ticket. With as many members as we have here, if half of us bought a ticket, it would lessen there burden a lot. Please encourage members to get involved and help me spread the word. Thanks

You knocked on the right door Smitty, I'm in.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!