P1000m5 Bad_Bowtie's Boring Budget Build

J

JTW

The new deck looks great on the trailer. Can I make two suggestions from my experience. One, but heavier duty d-rings on, I had those on my trailer and when someone decide to lock up the breaks in front of me when a deer crossed the road, it ripped all 4 d-rings I had like that right out of the floor, it wasn’t pretty. The sxs would have been into the back of my truck had it not been for the electric trailer jack that saved my truck. Since then put heavier duty D-rings in. 2nd, I discovered a great way to preserve trailer decks from rot and to waterproof them better than Thompson water seal which just washes away, is used motor oil believe it or not. Yes it darkens the wood but there’s no better “oil” based wood protector the waste oil. It’s free, soaks right in, and helps keep the trailer deck from rotting. Reapply ever 2-3yrs or as needed. I use it on my 18ft utility trailer and my utility trailers I used behind the tractor, haven’t had to replace a board since. It just a thought, hate to see you have to replace good boards. Other than that, keep the thread going, your doing a great job and love the machine, it looks great.
The problem wasn’t the D rings.. the problem was how you attached them.

Reactions: Russ989
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I ordered the flush mount marine door to go under the driver side seat for easy storage access. While at Rural King today I picked up a couple of these ammo cans to use under there. With this and the door storage I've completely eliminated the huge toolbox I was carrying in the back and freed up both rear seats. Thanks to all yall and especially @joeymt33 for the ideas.

Marine door
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017NA9RSU?tag=sxsweb24-20

Ammo cans
https://www.rkguns.com/gettysburg-field-ammo-box-od-green-acgrn.html

View attachment 173413 View attachment 173414
dam i didnt think about that those would fit nicely where my stock battery used to be

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The problem wasn’t the D rings.. the problem was how you attached them.
I had the D-rings bolted through the boards to the metal frame, the D-rings themselves bent and ripped out. I have since gone with heavier duty D-rings and used all grade 8 bolts and fasteners to attach to the frame.

J

JTW

I had the D-rings bolted through the boards to the metal frame, the D-rings themselves bent and ripped out. I have since gone with heavier duty D-rings and used all grade 8 bolts and fasteners to attach to the frame.
What d rings were you using?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Those look like the same ones I put on the front of the Pioneer. I purposely went with them so the rings would break before it started to deform the bumper or tear any other stuff up. I welded some much beefier rings to the trailer for mounting points.

Upload 2019 9 24 13 27 32 png

Upload 2020 1 3 17 10 44

Reactions: Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Here are the ones I used. I also have another set of the Erickson wheel bonnets ordered for the back wheels, so the D rings will just be an extra precaution, if I even use them with the Pioneer. Mostly just use them for hauling oddball stuff.

Screenshot 20200103 200511 Chrome

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Here are the ones I used. I also have another set of the Erickson wheel bonnets ordered for the back wheels, so the D rings will just be an extra precaution, if I even use them with the Pioneer. Mostly just use them for hauling oddball stuff.

View attachment 174012
Yeah those are the heavier duty ones, couldn't tell from the pic. I'm sure they do the job just fine

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s pretty neat.

Do you not worry the ammo cans will rattle against the ECM and cause issues?

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
That’s pretty neat.

Do you not worry the ammo cans will rattle against the ECM and cause issues?

I dont think anyone has had any trouble yet. These cans actually set just below the ecm, if one was worried he could stick something in there to keep them from moving around. Maybe a towel or something between them and the side panel.

J

JTW

I dont think anyone has had any trouble yet. These cans actually set just below the ecm, if one was worried he could stick something in there to keep them from moving around. Maybe a towel or something between them and the side panel.
I uses dry bag with plenty of air and soft stuff in it to help act as a padded buffer

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I ordered the flush mount marine door to go under the driver side seat for easy storage access. While at Rural King today I picked up a couple of these ammo cans to use under there. With this and the door storage I've completely eliminated the huge toolbox I was carrying in the back and freed up both rear seats. Thanks to all yall and especially @joeymt33 for the ideas.

Marine door
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017NA9RSU?tag=sxsweb24-20

Ammo cans
https://www.rkguns.com/gettysburg-field-ammo-box-od-green-acgrn.html

View attachment 173413 View attachment 173414
20200106 194644
20200106 194639

I put my door in a couple of days ago. I used the same 2 orange boxes u did plus 1 bigger metal ammo can from rural king. Still got room for a couple of small dry bags on top of the orange boxes. Had trim A slot in the door frame to get the bigger box in.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
View attachment 174811 View attachment 174812
I put my door in a couple of days ago. I used the same 2 orange boxes u did plus 1 bigger metal ammo can from rural king. Still got room for a couple of small dry bags on top of the orange boxes. Had trim A slot in the door frame to get the bigger box in.

Looks great! I plan on adding some dry bags and maybe another can. So much easier than pulling the seat every time to access.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!