P500 Be Honest....Would you rather have a 700 or 500?

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
New member here looking for a SxS for 10 acres of woods.
Finally found a local dealer that had a 700/4 that was sold but at least I could see one in person.
They had a 520 in the showroom that I was immediately drawn to.
Much smaller and looks like it will fit my wooded area much better.
Positive that it was available.
I put a deposit on the 520 and will decide on purchase the next few days.
Plan to use to drive around the property and harvest some wood. Maybe add a plow.
I am more into driving slow and steady rather than fast.
Looks like you can't go wrong with either the 700 or 500.
Guess if I but it I should look into upgrading the wheels/tires first.

It was the 520 for me. I wanted a narrow SxS to access tight trails and fit in the bed of my truck.

Mike

Mini Trail Mark

Mini Trail Mark

Jun 8, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
From my side, I had a Polaris Ranger, found it capable but not maneuverable in tight space, took up lots of real estate in my garage. Considered the 700 as a replacement, had to wait to get a P520 but glad I did. Handles tight spaces, and fits in my garage and trailer much better. Happy with my very capable P520.
Either way, can’t go wrong with a Honda!

BadMechanic

BadMechanic

Sep 25, 2021
New York
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. 500

4. 520
Im in the market for a 500/520 since its not for trail riding. Itll be a work SxS for snow removal and moving stuff. Plus one of the few SxS that'll fit in my small garage. 700 would be an overkill, even if it fit my garage.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

M

Michiganboy

Aug 17, 2021
Grand Rapids
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
If I had it to do over, I would stay with the P5, when I got mine I knew what I wanted to do with it,knew the limitations of the P5 nd for my needs it was almost perfect. It does ride rough but you get used to it and going through 50" trails you cannot go fast anyway so crawling speed you don't notice the rough ride as much. (P5 owners also have bigger dicks.)
Had a new 700 and I upgraded to a used 1000. I would never go back to a 700 but a 500 I would consider if I lived near 50” trails.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
The P5 is so fun on tight trails, but it's also tons of fun on wider trails. You get to pick your line; around ruts, over ruts, etc. You get to move around and make choices. Love my P5s, but the small cab can be an issue for some.

The P500 also makes a great trail machine because you can customize how to carry your gear on the back. Not sure the bed of the P520 is as trail functional. Time will tell on that one, I guess. I'm sure we'll see more P520s at Takeover '23.

C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
I purchased a 2017 P5 and after retiring was invited to go out with the boys who all had big machines.I was on the rev limiter all day so I sold it and purchased a 1000-3 and dressed it all up .After 1000 miles I had enough of running logging roads and eating dust so I sold it and went to a 2022 520 I liked the power and speed but I like wondering through the woods on narrower trails at a slower pace better.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I purchased a 2017 P5 and after retiring was invited to go out with the boys who all had big machines.I was on the rev limiter all day so I sold it and purchased a 1000-3 and dressed it all up .After 1000 miles I had enough of running logging roads and eating dust so I sold it and went to a 2022 520 I liked the power and speed but I like wondering through the woods on narrower trails at a slower pace better.
I like the P520's and the slower technical trails the best, but I still have my P1. The technical trails we ride a P520 would be a hand full. The P7 is a mystery to me. P1 or P520 would be my choice.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Take the P5 out to 55" wide with a good skid and 27s and there ya go! Working ok for me anyway. 😉

The P7 at 60/61" width, larger cab and better ground clearance is a good option for many. Strongly considered one myself before I got the 520 . . .

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Take the P5 out to 55" wide with a good skid and 27s and there ya go! Working ok for me anyway. 😉

The P7 at 60/61" width, larger cab and better ground clearance is a good option for many. Strongly considered one myself before I got the 520 . . .
I just didn't like the transmission the P7 has for the riding I do in gnarly mountainous trails. I do believe depending on what you ride they would shine.

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
I just didn't like the transmission the P7 has for the riding I do in gnarly mountainous trails. I do believe depending on what you ride they would shine.
That is what un-sold me on the P7 as well. I have seen a few videos and heard from a few folks who said it didnt have enough in 1st gear to get up some hills. For that reason and a few others im now planning on a P520.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That is what un-sold me on the P7 as well. I have seen a few videos and heard from a few folks who said it didnt have enough in 1st gear to get up some hills. For that reason and a few others im now planning on a P520.
The P5 & the P520 are really neat little critters and after you learn what they will & won't do you will be blazing trails, well maybe not blazing, but having a blast. You'll probably flop a couple times before you figure out what they won't do, seat belt up.

NKnelsen

NKnelsen

Jul 20, 2019
Barrie Ontario canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have the P500 and I've had much the same discussion with myself about which one would work better for me. I do hunt and the 50" 500 goes anywhere an ATV will go, the 700 is 10" wider so this would cause some problems at our hunt camp.

I guess if I had a choice I'd buy the 50" 500 again. But if I was able to steer Honda to build a unicorn, it would be the 50" chassis with the 700 motor (and with a nice Belt drive like everyone else has) and a few more inches of suspension travel.

I love my Honda but I certainly don't like the transmission.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
A lot of people don't care for the sharpness of the transmission when new. The 5 speed of the P5s is a huge plus for me though. Not sure a belt is great for hard work or hard play. For moderate usage, a belt is ok I guess. At least in my mind. I might have bought a P7 for my second SxS if not for its' 3 speed tranny. I love the 5 speed for pulling, crawling, and climbing.

A sportier 50" from Honda, though . . . yes, please!!!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The P5 isn't for everybody, most in fact. Jerky, small, loud, noisy, hot, under powered, and uncomfortable, oh and ugly as sh**!
There's only two real reasons anyone should buy one IMO, size and reliability.
Futzin nailed it a couple posts back that you get to pick your line. It could be said that you do that with any sxs, but there's a lot more lines with a machine this small and it gets a bit technical with such a short wheelbase. You have to work for it but that's the challenge that gets you into places that no other sxs can. You have to commit to the size.
As for reliability, I think we can all agree that it's the most bulletproof sxs on the planet, hands down and without argument. Stating otherwise will be laughed at. 🤦‍♂️

OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I am trying to decide which pioneer to buy, and I keep going back and forth between a 700-4 deluxe and the p500. They each have their benefits, but I keep coming back to the 500. I primarily use atv's for hunting and work around the house. I live around alot of national forest so the 50 inch width is a benefit. Not going to build a mud riding machine, just a good all around bike that the wife and I could trail ride with if we wanted. If I went up to the 700 I would want the power steering and 4 seats thus the 700-4. ....so if you had to do it over again, would you still go with the 500?
I have a p500 got a buddy with a 700. I wouldn’t buy a 700 if I wanted a bigger machine I would definitely buy the 1000. My 500 out works the 700 all day long. If you’re just putting around the 700 rides better but in my opinion it’s more underpowered than the 500. Neater way you’ll go wrong just climb in and “Let the good times roll”

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
The P5 isn't for everybody, most in fact. Jerky, small, loud, noisy, hot, under powered, and uncomfortable, oh and ugly as sh**!
There's only two real reasons anyone should buy one IMO, size and reliability.
Futzin nailed it a couple posts back that you get to pick your line. It could be said that you do that with any sxs, but there's a lot more lines with a machine this small and it gets a bit technical with such a short wheelbase. You have to work for it but that's the challenge that gets you into places that no other sxs can. You have to commit to the size.
As for reliability, I think we can all agree that it's the most bulletproof sxs on the planet, hands down and without argument. Stating otherwise will be laughed at. 🤦‍♂️
Exactly what this guy said! Completely accurate! I love the ability to customize the back rack area… I don’t think there are 2 of them just alike on this forum! Love my P5. It has taken me to see a lot of amazing views, that bigger sxs just couldn’t get to. There is nothing wrong with taking it easy, enjoying the journey…

Last edited:
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I could have just as easily purchased a 700 when I bought the 520, and I have no regrets. I like the size of the 520 for my purposes. When riding ( mostly doing chores, plowing, etc.), it's just me most of the time. Sometimes my wife is with me. If I wanted to take more passengers, then I would look at the 700 or 1k.

M

Michiganboy

Aug 17, 2021
Grand Rapids
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I have the P500 and I've had much the same discussion with myself about which one would work better for me. I do hunt and the 50" 500 goes anywhere an ATV will go, the 700 is 10" wider so this would cause some problems at our hunt camp.

I guess if I had a choice I'd buy the 50" 500 again. But if I was able to steer Honda to build a unicorn, it would be the 50" chassis with the 700 motor (and with a nice Belt drive like everyone else has) and a few more inches of suspension travel.

I love my Honda but I certainly don't like the transmission.
Best part of a Honda SxS is the transmission! If you dont like it you should definitely get a different brand machine.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Best part of a Honda SxS is the transmission!
I think the P700 is the exception The 3 spd tranny takes you back 30yrs never understood the rational of a 3 spd tranny when the auto industry is going to 6 spd and higher. My neighbour has a P500, we can go anywhere in that thing. I one upped him and bought a P700-4, I had that for a year and moved up to the P1000-5. The p700 is Hondas ugly duckling in my opinion. When you put tracks on it the only thing it does well is burn fuel. As others have said either 500/520 or P1k

B

BWHunter

Nov 2, 2020
WI
Ownership

1. 500
I went with the 500 based on the size and reliability. I use it at our hunting camp for chores and hunting. We already had a Kubota diesel 900 for the heavy work, so this was designated for smaller chores, doing some trail grouse hunting and a little bit of trail riding. We don't have any width restrictions, but some of the trails in our area were cut before the age of SXS's, for use by snowmobiles and 4 wheelers. The 500 can fit through those tight trails and is better in tight spaces. If I had known the 520 was coming I would have waited a year for the dump box which would have made a little less work for trail maintenance, wood hauling and cleaning. But the machine does everything I had expected and does it well. The 700 just would not have been nearly as versatile for what I use it for.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!