P500 Be Honest....Would you rather have a 700 or 500?

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Well.....bought a 500....already having buyers remorse but that is normal for me. Definitely surprised at how noisy the transmission is. Travelling the next few days....will post more first thoughts later.

Invest in a Trigger Shield, you won't regret it!!

EszHaUfdSvOHu1FFDHciYg

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Nive video. All your above points ring well with me and I couldn't agree more. My only complaint is the rough ride. I mean on my bumpy, rocky trails in my area, its really, really bad.

Yeah, the ride is definitely not the greatest. Aftermarket shocks will help a lot but they are pricey. Even if you could just get them for the front, it'll make the ride more bearable.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well.....bought a 500....already having buyers remorse but that is normal for me. Definitely surprised at how noisy the transmission is. Travelling the next few days....will post more first thoughts later.
hey congratulations! I know a lot of us had different desires and needs from a rig so hopefully you got what you were asking for and picked the right machine for your needs. 500 is a dependable little billy goat. Welcome to the Honda club. Happy adventures and post pics as soon as you can. Love pics.

Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like you have given this a lot of thought already. I have never been around the 700 except in the showroom so I can't comment on it. I own an Artic Cat 500 ATV and a Honda P5. I was introduced to ATVing a few years ago and it provided some of the thrills and escapabilities I enjoyed many many years ago when I rode a dirt bike forever in the woods of southern LA and MS. Now much older, retired, and living in Maine where most of the trails are across private property so "leave no trace" is the watchword or we'll loose privileges which happens every year in every trail system. I rode the ATV a couple years but wanted to put a little more and just escape, watch nature, picnic and maybe camp: so I bought the P5 this Spring. We had a really wet Spring/beginning of Summer so I had to ATV if and when a trail opened in mid-June and across my 50ac property. The ATV has more ground clearance, more wheel travel, is shorter more maneuverable and has mud tires. So far we haven't introduced a passenger into the story so lets go. I put a two up style seat and footpegs on the ATV and because this caused a bit of tipsiness and general clumbsiness in the maneuverability it only lasted one ride. There was the breaking point and I bought the P5. For older listeners who may have limited strength and flexibility let me step back a second and mention that with my RA (rheumatoid arthritis) I had to recoup for a week every time I rode the ATV which was another part of the decision to go SxS. The RA was so bad that getting the ATV in and out of these modern 10 ft high truck beds caused me to start trailering it which added to the chore of finding a good loading area. So if I have to trailer anyway and I want to putt sometime, the question simply became which SxS to get? First consideration like yours was what do I want to do with it and where. Now I'll jump ahead here and state that with the P5 I cannot go on a lot of trails up here that have water hazzards because the P5 has golf cart like ground clearance and limited suspension travel. There's a lot of submerged "gottchas" in those water/mud pools and no way in the P5 to go around as I could on an small ATV. But, I can go on a lot of trails the average SxS cannot because of size restrictions. SO there's the first big consideration. If you do not have this to consider then it releases you from being limited to the P5. The downside consideration is whatever the ground conditions are where you hunt as around the house is probably not enough to sway a decision. My ATV will run through the snowpacks up here up to probably a foot or so as long as I can race through the snowdrifts. NOT the P5. So no hunting with the P5 in the Wintah. As I say these things I know there will be other's comments about my challenges and I really hope you and I get some good feedback on how to overcome them. The P5 comes with size 24s and the dealer suggested I could go as large as 28s but larger than that would rub the frame/cause steering and other suspension issues and may even cause driveline damage if too large tires are tried. Sooo. How can that be overcome without replacing the A arms and probably widening the P5 beyond the 50" advantage? The P7 has this solved for a little more ground clearance but now you would not be able to ride the limited access trails up here, which may not be an issue for you. Next the P5 is really noisy. All that gear shifting transmission noise and engine noise right at your back. Helps to wear ear protection but that limits communication. Yes the do make add on mufflers but that doesn't stop the rest of the noise. I'm working on solutions for that in the bahn now. Any different with the P7? Probably not. Dust is a big problem on the trails but may not be a consideration; anyway the dust affects P5 and P7 the same. I have long legs and the P5 wheel well on the driver's left really cramps that leg room which is a blessing because I get out and stretch more. P7 has more room. The P5 does not have power steering. With my RA it was too hard on my hands and severely limited driving it because of the wheel jerk over rocks and tree roots etc. I installed the PS kit off ebay for 329 dollars and its awesome! NO more wheel jerk. When I bought the P5 I had the dealer install the winch and split windshield and I installed the roof. I'm not impressed with where the winch installs on either Ps for a couple reasons but there are other options that I didn't feel urgent at the time. The P5 has never overheated as some 4wheelers do after getting muddy water etc up in the radiator. You didn't say you were a mudder so probably not a consideration for you. Honda makes world class engineered products too, so you're pretty safe with either. Now here's a consideration I recommend - what are you going to modify/add etc? For instance the winch installation added a power block right up front under the hood which was very helpful when adding other accessories because you don't have to run cables all the way back to the battery which is way back under the bed at the passenger side. This block unfortunately interfered with the placement of other things which is a learning experience. Here goes - the aftermarket folks aren't particularly interested in our mods and they sell their accessories as though its going to be installed on a unmodified unit. ALL of them do it especially the biggest named one I will not mention. So when I purchased the glove box and installed it on my P5 I had to make another bracket and remount the electrical block for the winch and go back and forth with its maker with photos etc etc.. When I installed the PS unit I had to mount its control box in a different place in order to allow an under hood tray space to fit. Then the new improved plastic tray from a dealer who used to have a metal one with access to your coolant overflow will not fit on the P5. I will not mention their name but they were useless when negotiating this with them. So I bought a 6 dollar plastic Wallmart box and mounted it there instead of their new improved 135 dollar did no longer fit model. I first ran the P5 with things bungie corded to the cargo tray in back where the P7 has the dump body and they squeeked and drove me nuts even over the noisy transmission. So I padded it with rubber insulation used on AC units and I tie down a large heavy duty plastic box, another cheep purchase from wallyworld, vice the expensive Honda bag. This cargo tray is very convenient for trail riding and camping but I don't think it the best choice for yardwork unless you add a dump bed but I believe the P7 will hold more there. I regret getting the very expensive Honda roof because there are adequate ones out there for a third the price. I think the P5 runs nicely about 25 mph loaded with passenger and camping gear down the trail and has enough guts to up and down with the best of them. Limited by ground clearance. Because this is a P5/7 discussion its moot but these Hondas with transmissions are well behaved going up and down because you have engine braking not freewheeling and braking and loosing steering like with CVT style rigs, but that may not be a consideration for you with your needs. So I think you would be served well by thinking as much about how you will accessorize your unit as you do about how and where you will use it. Enjoy!
Thanks for such a well thought out post. I am curious about your comments regarding the clearance and snow pack. No snowpack here, but figured there wasn't much difference in clearance between the p5 and my old honda 300. I do plan on upgrading tires, just not sure what size. Are you still running stocks? Still think it will be an issue when you upgrade?
BTW Are you originally from Louisiana?

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X

P500 - A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

My P5 WAS loud too. I have yet to change diff oil to Royal Purple, because this^^ mod makes it SOOO much quieter. RPMs go down and less gear noise. I really think the gear whining you hear in them is the jack-shaft gears. They have pretty large teeth.

I ride with a group of all Hondas-- 2x p1ks, a 700-4 (non-deluxe), and me on the p5 (also a yamaha, but he's still cool). The 700 is slow too, with its 3-speed & torque converter. What a garbage trans.... BUT I do think the chassis is 100x better. Good susp travel, dump bed, front locker, etc. I went w/ p5 because it is more FUN--flat out. Gear mod made it trail-able, but needs a dump box and to stop hurting my back. I wish the 700 had a DCT 5-speed--it would be in my garage.

P5 is a bunch of ATV parts slammed into a golf cart really..., the 700 had more R&D, the p1K even more. $$$ reflects it. I do love my 500, and being able to go places the bigger ones cant--but I wish Honda put a little more effort into it. It needs a front-diff that is a 'stressed-member' so the a-arms can be longer. The rear suspension is just the worst design. SOOOO much wasted space back there.

Did I say I love my p5? lol :rolleyes:

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
After more than 4000 miles on my 500, Here what I think.

If you really want a smaller machine and are willing to live with a harsh ride and lack of room, buy the 500

The 500 and 700 are both bulletproof, so no worries there

In a drag race, they are pretty close. The 700 goes a mile an hour or two more at the top. The 700 feels stronger tho. The 500 needs to scream sometimes. The 700 comes with way better tires and they last a while. Both are pretty noisy from the drivers seat if you ask me. The steering is quicker on the 500.

Neither one is a sport machine, but both are fun. The 500 can be improved a ton with add ons. Tires are an absolute must.

I’d say it’s probably a bit easier to get stuck in a 500. If you encounter badly rutted or off camber trails a lot, the 700 may be better for you. Many times the guys I ride with would take a trail that would certainly tip me over. I would turn around.

The biggest appeal to me of the 700 is the auto tranny and a bit more room. It’s a great size. Wider than a 500 but it’s not huge. Again, super reliable. If a 700 would go 50 mph I’d probably be riding one now. If my 500 would go 50 mph I wouldn’t have upgraded.

I just hate screaming down the road wide open at 36-40 mph. It doesn’t seem to hurt the machines a bit, but it’s just not fun.

If you buy a 500, you will love it. You have done enough research by now to manage your expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Epnva1

Sep 15, 2019
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I needed an ATV/UTV for hunting. I spent about a month deciding on which would work best. The 500 did not come with a lot of options that liked in the 700. Bed, ride quality, room, etc. I originally felt silly because the cost of these utvs are quite high. I spent a ton of time looking at jeeps, small trucks, in the same price range. It would be nice to just drive my hunting vehicle to where I was going hunting rather then toting a trailer. My situation was this....even the smallest truck, Jeep, etc would not be able to go on the trails utv could, so that was out. If I went with a 700, I would have had to get a wider trailer, it would take more room up in the garage. The 500, worked best for me, and I am very happy I got it. Granted my friend got a 700 when I got my 500 and I am a little jealous in some regards, but I love the 500. It is like a little tank. Sure it is rough riding (stock tires still). It is small as I am 6’2 235, but there is just something about it that I love. It works perfect for hunting, and fitting down tight trails. Plenty of power, and just a lot of fun to ride around in.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I needed an ATV/UTV for hunting. I spent about a month deciding on which would work best. The 500 did not come with a lot of options that liked in the 700. Bed, ride quality, room, etc. I originally felt silly because the cost of these utvs are quite high. I spent a ton of time looking at jeeps, small trucks, in the same price range. It would be nice to just drive my hunting vehicle to where I was going hunting rather then toting a trailer. My situation was this....even the smallest truck, Jeep, etc would not be able to go on the trails utv could, so that was out. If I went with a 700, I would have had to get a wider trailer, it would take more room up in the garage. The 500, worked best for me, and I am very happy I got it. Granted my friend got a 700 when I got my 500 and I am a little jealous in some regards, but I love the 500. It is like a little tank. Sure it is rough riding (stock tires still). It is small as I am 6’2 235, but there is just something about it that I love. It works perfect for hunting, and fitting down tight trails. Plenty of power, and just a lot of fun to ride around in.
I think you made the right decision and I have a P-1. To me the P-1 and the P-5 are the way to go if your going to use them for utility needs.

Reactions: rtn001
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you made the right decision and I have a P-1. To me the P-1 and the P-5 are the way to go if your going to use them for utility needs.
I liked my P5 but my 12’ utility trailer was a load for that machine by itself, my 700 pulls it much better. Just my two cents!

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
i always have had a trailer even when i only had a quad, falling off backing down sucks, its certainly worth the 20 a year for registration on a small 6x 12 trailer that you can get for a couple hundred bucks and tow with any little suv or minivan. i had a pickup for a while and it was terrible loading it, and they are way higher now. so putting the 700 on the trailer is no big deal ive been using one for 20 years, for someone who really only wants a half ton thats the only reason the 500 would be better, half is not going to like the 700 weight. on the trail the difference between the 500 and 700 is not as different as people think and say thy need the narrower 9 inches then its too tippy so they put spacers on the 500 when they could have just got the 700 in the first place. the speed 0-25 is really all that matters in the woods here for me its good

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
P5 is the rig for my needs. Have used a P7 -4 for work and yes it has more room not really sure it rides smoother, if it had a DCT 6 speed tranny would be a better machine. At this point very pleased with my P5, with 5,000 trouble free Kms on it. Love the compact size, I don’t require a trailer to haul, fits in my 8’ box with combo fuel cell dry box (tailgate down). With radial tires and Elka Stage 3 shocks it’ll run (smooth circles) around the P 7 hahahaa.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Test drove a Talon and it felt like a car compared to the P500. The small size of the P500 gives a better feel, like a go cart when you were a kid. Wishing for 50 inch version of the Talon to come next.

D52761F3 2517 4B65 A33A 0A0901E41B17

E

Epnva1

Sep 15, 2019
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
P5 is the rig for my needs. Have used a P7 -4 for work and yes it has more room not really sure it rides smoother, if it had a DCT 6 speed tranny would be a better machine. At this point very pleased with my P5, with 5,000 trouble free Kms on it. Love the compact size, I don’t require a trailer to haul, fits in my 8’ box with combo fuel cell dry box (tailgate down). With radial tires and Elka Stage 3 shocks it’ll run (smooth circles) around the P 7 hahahaa.

Hi! I am glad that I saw this. I was looking at your sxs for a bit last night. Forgive me if I am wrong, but you have all the same size tires on your sxs right? I like the thought of rotating them and I like the look of wider tires on the front. Can you give me pros and cons?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Hi! I am glad that I saw this. I was looking at your sxs for a bit last night. Forgive me if I am wrong, but you have all the same size tires on your sxs right? I like the thought of rotating them and I like the look of wider tires on the front. Can you give me pros and cons?

Hello Epnva, yes same size front to back. 27x11x12 Kenda Bear Claw HT Radials on 5-2 off set rims.
Pros:
Like the ride, handling, steering isn’t that much harder, typically run 4-5 psi front 5-6 psi in rear.
Ability to have even tire wear via rotating front to rear.
Even though I’ve not gotten the locking front diff (yet), I like the wider fronts for chewing in mud and gripping over logs.
I like how it pulls better in snow, than narrow fronts, meaning tracking front to rear.
Perhaps a little more stable.
I prefer the look...

Cons:
Bit more expensive
Recommend front fender extenders, (easy to make from 3 mm thick UHMW) then use stock push pins to attach. I also added flaps just behind the cab.
My 27s just touch the fender extenders, compresses suspension at almost full lock.
When backing up you can pinch the bottom of fender extender against say a stump and pull it off the machine, fairly easy to reinstall with the push pins, though.
Perhaps a little stiffer steering on point to point close quarter turn arounds, not gotten E steering yet.
You’ll end up wider than 50” think mine is close to 56” wide.

Lastly I can’t say enough about radial tires, ride smoother, increased traction for dirt and snow, wouldn’t run another machine without them.
That’s all I can think of.... chime in guys if I’ve missed anything.
Cheers,
j

Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
P5 all day!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello Epnva, yes same size front to back. 27x11x12 Kenda Bear Claw HT Radials on 5-2 off set rims.
Pros:
Like the ride, handling, steering isn’t that much harder, typically run 4-5 psi front 5-6 psi in rear.
Ability to have even tire wear via rotating front to rear.
Even though I’ve not gotten the locking front diff (yet), I like the wider fronts for chewing in mud and gripping over logs.
I like how it pulls better in snow, than narrow fronts, meaning tracking front to rear.
Perhaps a little more stable.
I prefer the look...

Cons:
Bit more expensive
Recommend front fender extenders, (easy to make from 3 mm thick UHMW) then use stock push pins to attach. I also added flaps just behind the cab.
My 27s just touch the fender extenders, compresses suspension at almost full lock.
When backing up you can pinch the bottom of fender extender against say a stump and pull it off the machine, fairly easy to reinstall with the push pins, though.
Perhaps a little stiffer steering on point to point close quarter turn arounds, not gotten E steering yet.
You’ll end up wider than 50” think mine is close to 56” wide.

Lastly I can’t say enough about radial tires, ride smoother, increased traction for dirt and snow, wouldn’t run another machine without them.
That’s all I can think of.... chime in guys if I’ve missed anything.
Cheers,
j

I'm running 26 x 11's on all four. Everything J said but I don't rub with the 26's. Little floaty when turning compared to the skinnys.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!