Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
To disconnect or not to disconnect the anti sway bar?

This subject brought some heated debate and discussion to this forum in the past. Some saying it helped greatly, others saying there was no difference and others that just wouldn't do it because Honda must have had a reason for putting it on there. Doesn't come up too much anymore, but figured I would share my take on it now.
I was one of the guys that wouldn't do it regardless of what others were saying. Left it hooked up over a year and then it would come up again, kept meaning to try it. Finally unhooked it, zip tied it up and gave it a shot. Told the wife about it and she wasn't real happy with the idea, told her I'd hook it back up if it sucked. After unhooking it, I thought it felt soft just pushing down on the rear end sitting in the garage, so I cranked the shocks up one more notch.
That was in April, took the machine out for the first real ride today, she had forgotten all about it. Put it through its paces, 50" quad trails all day, tight, banked turns, off camber, whoops, through the woods and hitting the limiter. After an hour or so I asked her so what do you think? Had to remind her what I'd done and she said 'I thought it was riding smoother'. I went into it skeptical as well and it made a believer out of me.
The best I can describe the difference is that it used to feel really tight in the rear and choppy on bumps, like you were losing ground contact with the rear tires. You'd think that this would have gotten worse after I cranked the shocks higher, but it didn't. Smooth, never felt like it was chopping which meant better control. Didn't have horrible body roll either, took a couple of curves pretty fast just to get a feel for it.
FWIW, thought I'd share that with those that might still be on the fence. Easy to try and put back if you don't like it. Needless to say, I won't be hooking mine back up.
PS. Never would have done this if not for this forum. Thanks guys!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where is the anti sway bar located on the P5?

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Wat I don't get..is wire tie...or zippy tie
..it up...remove...it..
Reviews..mostly say...way better..
...I used the word..."loose"..
let's all remove them...find a welder
to make something kool...out um all...

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'll always remember the look on my wife's face after I had taken ours off, we were traveling a pretty good speed coming to a big bump and she braced herself like usual, we hit it and see gave me a look with a grin on her face, and said ,why didn't you take that thing off when you bought it.Needless to say mine is never going back on

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
To disconnect or not to disconnect the anti sway bar?

This subject brought some heated debate and discussion to this forum in the past. Some saying it helped greatly, others saying there was no difference and others that just wouldn't do it because Honda must have had a reason for putting it on there. Doesn't come up too much anymore, but figured I would share my take on it now.
I was one of the guys that wouldn't do it regardless of what others were saying. Left it hooked up over a year and then it would come up again, kept meaning to try it. Finally unhooked it, zip tied it up and gave it a shot. Told the wife about it and she wasn't real happy with the idea, told her I'd hook it back up if it sucked. After unhooking it, I thought it felt soft just pushing down on the rear end sitting in the garage, so I cranked the shocks up one more notch.
That was in April, took the machine out for the first real ride today, she had forgotten all about it. Put it through its paces, 50" quad trails all day, tight, banked turns, off camber, whoops, through the woods and hitting the limiter. After an hour or so I asked her so what do you think? Had to remind her what I'd done and she said 'I thought it was riding smoother'. I went into it skeptical as well and it made a believer out of me.
The best I can describe the difference is that it used to feel really tight in the rear and choppy on bumps, like you were losing ground contact with the rear tires. You'd think that this would have gotten worse after I cranked the shocks higher, but it didn't. Smooth, never felt like it was chopping which meant better control. Didn't have horrible body roll either, took a couple of curves pretty fast just to get a feel for it.
FWIW, thought I'd share that with those that might still be on the fence. Easy to try and put back if you don't like it. Needless to say, I won't be hooking mine back up.
PS. Never would have done this if not for this forum. Thanks guys!
Not recommended. ..if you carry a heavy load....fast on turns...
Sway bar ties both rear wheels together......mine feels way different..
without...now I'm 8" wider......

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Wat I don't get..is wire tie...or zippy tie
..it up...remove...it..
Reviews..mostly say...way better..
...I used the word..."loose"..
let's all remove them...find a welder
to make something kool...out um all...

Zip tied was just to try it out. I had every intention on hooking it back up if I didn't feel it was beneficial, no placebo effect going on here. If I wouldn't have been able to tell any difference, I would've hooked it back up just to be safe. I honestly think this machine rides better and safer with it disconnected. Made an awesome machine even better, no BS!

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Where is the anti sway bar located on the P5?
It is this thing on the back between the wheels WIN 20170514 211730

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Zip tied was just to try it out. I had every intention on hooking it back up if I didn't feel it was beneficial, no placebo effect going on here. If I wouldn't have been able to tell any difference, I would've hooked it back up just to be safe. I honestly think this machine rides better and safer with it disconnected. Made an awesome machine even better, no BS!
I agree....un hooked mine last summer...
went campin...left to get firewood...
empty of weight...ride was nice...loaded
wood..ride back.....not the same...just sayin

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Most guys....haven't removed..alot of post sayin
...just left um tied up

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
i just took one link off of one side .
Took a minute. would take only a minute to hook back up.
no zip ties

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have been "chicken" to try it. My concern has been flat turns on dirt roads, and the sideways trails on steep hills. 90% of our riding is two people. At least this doesn't cost anything. :)

I'll take a look this evening.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!