P700 beefing up the 700 ? need advice

J

jeepin232

Oct 3, 2016
white lake, mi
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well i now have 300 miles on my 700-4, and i feel the love fading. Do they make a lift kit that is reasonable that replaces the shocks( and some beefier front end components in general) ? i fell that's the biggest issue with them, i can keep up with my buddies for the most part but when it gets rutted out or rough terrain i feel the honda really lacks.Also for the ones wondering the stock roll cage is not all the tough... last night I flopped doing 3 mphs and and it the cage shifted about 4 inches... time for a custom cage.thanks all. yes i did use google and looked at older post.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
You sound like a perfect candidate for the Can-Am Commander shock upgrade. It will give you about 2 to 3 inches of lift and fix your suspension problems. most guys are finding these shock packages for around $300 for the complete set of 4.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
P700 - Pioneer 700 with Can-Am Commander Shocks

This is a long read but great info to help you achieve what you're trying to do. The can ams are essentially a bolt on mod with minimal customization. however, if you do truly want a real "bolt on" suspension you're going to be looking at more of the $1200+ price range. Kits from Fox (which is what I have) and walker Evans have the option to adjust the ride height. You can expect a maximum of about 2 1/2 inches of lift with these packages when cranked all the way up.

Reactions: JTW and bweeden1
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi Jeepin

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you are finding "not beefy enough" in the front. I'm not aware of any issues.

My buddy laid his Polaris over in a rut. It bent the ROPS too.

My hunting buddies have a Polaris and a Tyrex. They are both jealous of my Pioneer.

Reactions: al700 and Tflynn
J

jeepin232

Oct 3, 2016
white lake, mi
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi Jeepin

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you are finding "not beefy enough" in the front. I'm not aware of any issues.

My buddy laid his Polaris over in a rut. It bent the ROPS too.

My hunting buddies have a Polaris and a Tyrex. They are both jealous of my Pioneer.

perhaps I just been to be a little more easy on it haha. I guess I bent the tie rod end during the roll over. Coming from the jeep community, there's lots of differences. I do love it i just feel i need a little more power( already did a snorkel) I want a custom frame, bigger tires and a new suspension set up

Last edited:
J

jeepin232

Oct 3, 2016
white lake, mi
Ownership

1. 700-4
P700 - Pioneer 700 with Can-Am Commander Shocks

This is a long read but great info to help you achieve what you're trying to do. The can ams are essentially a bolt on mod with minimal customization. however, if you do truly want a real "bolt on" suspension you're going to be looking at more of the $1200+ price range. Kits from Fox (which is what I have) and walker Evans have the option to adjust the ride height. You can expect a maximum of about 2 1/2 inches of lift with these packages when cranked all the way up.
I was looking at the fox kit I had them on my old Jeep. How are you enjoying them ? do you have a comparison between that and the commander shocks ? also whats the largest tire i can run with that set up paired with the High Clearance A-Arms?
withe the Commander shocks do we reuse our springs or get a whole assembly? I might be worth a try before i drop the money on a fox set. Do you recommend just looking for used sets on ebay?

Last edited:
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought mine on the Can-Am forum (used). The difference in suspension was so incredible I could hardly believe it. I have never been able to compare to the fox shocks. But I think the general feel is fox shocks are better but for $300 the Commander shocks are a great buy. The Can-Am springs work really well. Some have changed them out but I I'm satisfied with the ones that came with the shocks.

I'm in the process of installing A-arms. (long story). If you move the fronts forward 32" tires will fit but you are underpowered.

My idea of a perfect set-up would be (And I hope to get there)
Can-Am shocks (Fox are really good also)
Portal Gears, 30% or 40% reduction. (Pricey and Not yet available)
31"-32" tires

Reactions: bweeden1 and Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was looking a,he fox kit I had them on my old Jeep. How are you enjoying them ? do you have a comparison between that and the commander shocks ? also whats the largest tire i can run with that set up paired with the High Clearance A-Arms?
withe the Commander shocks do we reuse our springs or get a whole assembly? I might be worth a try before i drop the money on a fox set. Do you recommend just looking for used sets on ebay?
Love the Fox setup for higher speed and big hits. The only guy I know who has tried both setups is @spifyd and I recall him saying the commander shocks were as good or better than his Fox shocks. Not sure about tire size, I'm thinking 28" easy maybe 30s. To be clear if you're looking at the superatv arms they do NOT move the tire forward therefore they do nothing to make room for a larger tire. Most guys have found complete coilovers on the commander forum, I think @Gator already mentioned that.

Now if you're ready to drop some coin, try getting Fox shocks for a Commander! Think of it, built in lift, longer stroke (I think), AND Fox quality! That might be the ultimate suspension upgrade!!

Reactions: joeymt33
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I bought mine on the Can-Am forum (used). The difference in suspension was so incredible I could hardly believe it. I have never been able to compare to the fox shocks. But I think the general feel is fox shocks are better but for $300 the Commander shocks are a great buy. The Can-Am springs work really well. Some have changed them out but I I'm satisfied with the ones that came with the shocks.

I'm in the process of installing A-arms. (long story). If you move the fronts forward 32" tires will fit but you are underpowered.

My idea of a perfect set-up would be (And I hope to get there)
Can-Am shocks (Fox are really good also)
Portal Gears, 30% or 40% reduction. (Pricey and Not yet available)
31"-32" tires
How hard are these CanAm shocks to install, and do they necessarily have to lift the 700? And who would taint their Honda with CanAm parts lol.

Last edited:
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Love the Fox setup for higher speed and big hits. The only guy I know who has tried both setups is @spifyd and I recall him saying the commander shocks were as good or better than his Fox shocks. Not sure about tire size, I'm thinking 28" easy maybe 30s. To be clear if you're looking at the superatv arms they do NOT move the tire forward therefore they do nothing to make room for a larger tire. Most guys have found complete coilovers on the commander forum, I think @Gator already mentioned that.

Now if you're ready to drop some coin, try getting Fox shocks for a Commander! Think of it, built in lift, longer stroke (I think), AND Fox quality! That might be the ultimate suspension upgrade!!

I have commander 28.5x10x14 &28.5x12x14 and the fronts will rub when turning with suspension compression.

advertisement
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
How hard are these CanAm shocks to install, and do they necessarily have to lift the 700? And who would taint their Honda with CanAm parts lol.

Yes, the Can-Am shock is slightly longer and as a result the Pioneer will stand taller. Hey, it's a free lift.

My thoughts are, Can-Am did not manufacture those shocks.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, the Can-Am shock is slightly longer and as a result the Pioneer will stand taller. Hey, it's a free lift.

My thoughts are, Can-Am did not manufacture those shocks.
No, Honda doesn't manufacture their shocks either.........

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was looking at the fox kit I had them on my old Jeep. How are you enjoying them ? do you have a comparison between that and the commander shocks ? also whats the largest tire i can run with that set up paired with the High Clearance A-Arms?
I went from factory to Fox Shocks and it was a huge improvement. I thought about going the commander route but went ahead with Fox. It totally changed the handling of my Pioneer. It actually feels like an entire different machine. I do not regret making the purchase one bit!

Reactions: Tflynn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I went from factory to Fox Shocks and it was a huge improvement. I thought about going the commander route but went ahead with Fox. It totally changed the handling of my Pioneer. It actually feels like an entire different machine. I do not regret making the purchase one bit!
Was the Fox cheaper, easier to install or was there some other reason that you went with Fox.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Was the Fox cheaper, easier to install or was there some other reason that you went with Fox.
I was actually looking for Commander shocks. I didn't have any luck and stumbled on a for sale post by @Springer. He gave me a great deal and they are direct bolt on. It literally took me less than 1hr to put them all on myself. In all honesty based off the results they are worth full price. The ride really is that much different. It went from a decent riding machine with a little tippyness to a much more stable ride and no bottoming out. I use mine for 90% trail riding so I desperately needed more control. Especially since we lean more toward technical trails.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I was actually looking for Commander shocks. I didn't have any luck and stumbled on a for sale post by @Springer. He gave me a great deal and they are direct bolt on. It literally took me less than 1hr to put them all on myself. In all honesty based off the results they are worth full price. The ride really is that much different. It went from a decent riding machine with a little tippyness to a much more stable ride and no bottoming out. I use mine for 90% trail riding so I desperately needed more control. Especially since we lean more toward technical trails.
What is full price?

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
What is full price?
I think you can get them on eBay for $1295 shipped (Fox Podium 1.5 C). That seemed pretty steep to me but if you can swing it you definitely won't regret it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think you can get them on eBay for $1295 shipped (Fox Podium 1.5 C). That seemed pretty steep to me but if you can swing it you definitely won't regret it.
Wow, way more than commanders?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!