Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes thank you. My rod has A on it I haven't looked on the crank yet I will do that when I get home from wirk
Just looked at manual to confirm. They still use same system (figured they would). Ignore the A on the rod cap, it's a weight code. There will be a number on it. They use Roman numerals either a I, II, or III. Crank weight will have 2 codes on it. One line is numbers for main journals and one with letters for rod journals. They read left to right. Let us know your number/letter combo and we can tell you which color you need.
This is first time I've looked at crankcase in manual. It splits horizontally like the 4cyl bike motors. That'll make life easier on all of us come teardown time.

Reactions: BWAF and BULLDOG6
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On a side note to everyone....never let a shop dip your crank. The acid will eat off the codes on the crank weight. Then you'll have to plastigage your journals at every teardown/rebuild.

Reactions: BWAF and BULLDOG6
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems I read on a thread somewhere about honda using tighter tolerances. Not so. They have same service limit for oil clearance they've used for years .002.

C

Cwilkins

Oct 30, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just looked at manual to confirm. They still use same system (figured they would). Ignore the A on the rod cap, it's a weight code. There will be a number on it. They use Roman numerals either a I, II, or III. Crank weight will have 2 codes on it. One line is numbers for main journals and one with letters for rod journals. They read left to right. Let us know your number/letter combo and we can tell you which color you need.
This is first time I've looked at crankcase in manual. It splits horizontally like the 4cyl bike motors. That'll make life easier on all of us come teardown time.
Does it tell you where they are located on the crank?

Reactions: BWAF
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you don't already have some, get a tube of Hondabond gasket sealer. Best sealer on the planet. I use it on every vehicle I own. If you get some, get the #4. It doesn't get totally hard. Only gasket I ever replaced on my drag bike was head gasket. Everything else I sealed with the Hondabond. Great stuff.

C

Cwilkins

Oct 30, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you don't already have some, get a tube of Hondabond gasket sealer. Best sealer on the planet. I use it on every vehicle I own. If you get some, get the #4. It doesn't get totally hard. Only gasket I ever replaced on my drag bike was head gasket. Everything else I sealed with the Hondabond. Great stuff.
Ok thanks for the advice on the gasket sealer I will definitely order some. I know my rods have ll on them and I think I seen a 25 or 52 in white paint market but I will check when I get home

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks for the advice on the gasket sealer I will definitely order some. I know my rods have ll on them and I think I seen a 25 or 52 in white paint market but I will check when I get home
So you have half of the puzzle lol. Rod is number 2. Just need letter off the crank. Left letter is #1 cylinder.

Reactions: BWAF
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to know this stuff like the back of my hand back in my racing days. I tore mine down every winter for fresh bearings, rings, and rod bolts.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Use very thin strips of that sealer. It squeezes out like crazy. Has the consistency of Elmer's school glue lol

C

Cwilkins

Oct 30, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok I finally got it. On the side of your rod bearing there is a color. I could not find any letters on my crank

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok I finally got it. On the side of your rod bearing there is a color. I could not find any letters on my crank
True but usually hard to make out. Yours being fairly new you may get lucky. Did you inspect crank carefully?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Found a pic in manual.
IMG 20161101 200024088 480x853

Reactions: Eltobgi
C

Cwilkins

Oct 30, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Found a pic in manual.
View attachment 25498
The crank is still in the machine I didn't pull the motor out so on the out side of that counter weight would be very hard to see. I will look again tomorrow with a flash light and see if I can rotate it to see those markings. Thank you for taking the time to try to help me this bearing deal is crazy.

hondapro

hondapro

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2015
Central Pa.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I asked this a while back and can't remember what the answer is. I have a shop manual but haven't looked at it. On Honda motorcycles, the different colors are different sizes (obviously). To determine which color you need, the big end of the rod would be marked with a number or letter (can't remember which) and the crank would have numbers/letters. For example #1 rod would have an A or 1 on it and crank would have a B or a 1 on it. Then you'd look up the combination you have in manual (or call a dealers service dept) and they'd tell you what color bearing you'd need for that particular code. This may not apply to the p1k motor at all, but since they've done this on their bikes for decades, I'd think they'd continue doing this. Hopefully that made some sort of sense.

This is correct.Honda does the auto bearings this way.So if you see paint on the bearings you will need to find the number and letter combination to get the correct bearing.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The crank is still in the machine I didn't pull the motor out so on the out side of that counter weight would be very hard to see. I will look again tomorrow with a flash light and see if I can rotate it to see those markings. Thank you for taking the time to try to help me this bearing deal is crazy.
No crazy is having your crank dipped before knowing better and having all those markings removed lol. Plastigaging is a pita tedious process lol.
Do you have access to a borescope? If you live anywhere near middle TN I'd be happy to loan you mine. It's one of those tools I "might" use once a year, but when I need it, it sure comes in handy lol

C

Cwilkins

Oct 30, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No crazy is having your crank dipped before knowing better and having all those markings removed lol. Plastigaging is a pita tedious process lol.
Do you have access to a borescope? If you live anywhere near middle TN I'd be happy to loan you mine. It's one of those tools I "might" use once a year, but when I need it, it sure comes in handy lol
lol.. thank you but know I live in Florida. I just orderd all the sets and I will send back what I don't use lol.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
lol.. thank you but know I live in Florida. I just orderd all the sets and I will send back what I don't use lol.
Can you not make out what color the old ones are? If not, don't feel bad. I never had any luck with that either lol. You have a #2 rod code so color options are yellow, green, and brown. Got a good quality micrometer? If you can measure the journal OD, I can tell you what color you need.

Reactions: CumminsPusher