• Start date
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This thread is the best overview of shocks and considerations I've seen on this forum. It would be nice to have a sticky thread to consolidate all the data for each suspension option. Anyone know if there is an option for a stiffer spring rate with the Fox shocks? That's the only thing holding me back from going Fox on the 1000-5 deluxe. I have extra weight from the winch, dual battery, soundbar, etc in the front, and bed extender, spare tire, gear, etc. in the rear. Thinking I want +25 lbs over stock in each corner, so 250/275# front/rear springs. I'll take 1-2" of suspension lift, too. Most of the time I am doing 5-25 mph on rocky roads in AZ. The self leveling rears buck like a bronco, and the fronts bottom out too easily. Probably not interested in the universal 814s with straps and mounting requirements (hard to find info on them). May have to buy once/cry once with WE or Elka 3. First, I'll be trying 1" spacers on the front this week with the break-in maintenance (only had it out on 4 good rides). So, anyone know if there a custom Fox option out there for spring rate and associated valving without rebuilding a set of Honda Fox's?

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
This thread is the best overview of shocks and considerations I've seen on this forum. It would be nice to have a sticky thread to consolidate all the data for each suspension option. Anyone know if there is an option for a stiffer spring rate with the Fox shocks? That's the only thing holding me back from going Fox on the 1000-5 deluxe. I have extra weight from the winch, dual battery, soundbar, etc in the front, and bed extender, spare tire, gear, etc. in the rear. Thinking I want +25 lbs over stock in each corner, so 250/275# front/rear springs. I'll take 1-2" of suspension lift, too. Most of the time I am doing 5-25 mph on rocky roads in AZ. The self leveling rears buck like a bronco, and the fronts bottom out too easily. Probably not interested in the universal 814s with straps and mounting requirements (hard to find info on them). May have to buy once/cry once with WE or Elka 3. First, I'll be trying 1" spacers on the front this week with the break-in maintenance (only had it out on 4 good rides). So, anyone know if there a custom Fox option out there for spring rate and associated valving without rebuilding a set of Honda Fox's?

Here's some info some other members have found on the stock Fox shocks.

1000-3 LE with Fox shocks
Front = 12.5" length, 2.50 diameter, 225# (033-08-032-2)
Rear = 15.25" length, 3.0 diameter, progressive 171/300# (033-09-000-2)

1000-5 fox shocks (for reference)
Front = 14.5" length 2.5 diameter, progressive 252/350#
Rear = 15.5" Length 3.0 diameter, progressive 187/350#

Aftermarket springs are an easy swap if needed.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you this if I had to do it again I would still add the 814s. The only downside is takes more work to tune but you have more option so thats also the good thing.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I wouldn't count 814s out you are saying you want options on spring you can put whatever springs you want on them and change them cheap if later you want a different set.

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's some info some other members have found on the stock Fox shocks.

1000-3 LE with Fox shocks
Front = 12.5" length, 2.50 diameter, 225# (033-08-032-2)
Rear = 15.25" length, 3.0 diameter, progressive 171/300# (033-09-000-2)

1000-5 fox shocks (for reference)
Front = 14.5" length 2.5 diameter, progressive 252/350#
Rear = 15.5" Length 3.0 diameter, progressive 187/350#

Aftermarket springs are an easy swap if needed.
Good stuff! After posting I was thinking about the progressive spring rate nature of an adjustable shock. My 1000-5 empty, the shocks measure about 17" front and 18" rear center bolt to center bolt. So new shocks that measure 18/19" F/R would effectively be a 1" lift for obstacle clearance. What do the measures of length you posted above refer to?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Good stuff! After posting I was thinking about the progressive spring rate nature of an adjustable shock. My 1000-5 empty, the shocks measure about 17" front and 18" rear center bolt to center bolt. So new shocks that measure 18/19" F/R would effectively be a 1" lift for obstacle clearance. What do the measures of length you posted above refer to?
Those are the spring specs for both shocks.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
This has been a great read, thanks guys!

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
Can anyone elaborate on if it’s wise to put the -5 Fox shocks on a -3 that’s ridden semi hard on the weekends? I know springs are cheap but I figured if the -3 Fox always end up with upgraded springs then maybe the -5 shocks would be the way to go. I know this is an old thread, thanks.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can anyone elaborate on if it’s wise to put the -5 Fox shocks on a -3 that’s ridden semi hard on the weekends? I know springs are cheap but I figured if the -3 Fox always end up with upgraded springs then maybe the -5 shocks would be the way to go. I know this is an old thread, thanks.

I dont remember the spring weights but I can tell you in either case, 5 or 3, you are better off with different springs and not the factory fox springs.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!