Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is an exert from an online Hot Rod magazine reguarding coatings. The headers on my Dart are coated inside and out.

As a part of our test, we wanted to quantify the benefits of a coated header versus a plain uncoated black painted header. A thermal barrier ceramic coating adds considerably to the price of any header, often doubling the price. We tested two otherwise identical Hooker 1⅞-inch headers with surprising results. Running on the dyno, we found the power numbers virtually unchanged (see Average Power table on next page). Where the ceramic coating made a remarkable difference is in the heat transferred by the header. We tested the header temperature immediately after a run, and then one minute after shutdown. The coated headers measured 258 degrees F dropping to 195 degrees F a minute after shutdown. In contrast, the uncoated header measured a scalding 870 degrees, retaining 520 degrees a minute after shutdown. We didn’t need a heat gun to tell the difference in the test cell.

Our next test loaded the engine to 60 lb-ft of torque at 2,800 rpm, simulating a high-speed cruise situation. We gauged the surface temp of the header once fully stabilized. Once again, the difference was huge, with the coated header showing 288 degrees, while the uncoated header recorded 850 degrees. While the dyno run didn’t show much difference in output, an engine breathing air from under the hood will definitely feel the effects of that extra 562 degrees F pumping into the engine bay. Taking account the effects of heat on engine component life and passenger comfort, the coated headers are definitely a winner.
I talked the the dealer about this , they said Honda was only interested in a sleeve, no wrap, and it would cost to much money to do this, it would require removing the exhaust system, sleeving and reinstalling exhaust system.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sleeving? The coating is sprayed on/in the header. I'm not a fan of wraps as they hold moisture.

Reactions: adnoh
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
If sleeve is the same as the old style type of bolt around heat shield it would help lots the manifold gets very hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

Pusateri1979

Jan 31, 2018
Wintersville ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good point. I am intending to add
some tupperware type containers
under the drivers seat, but a tray
over the fuel tank would be nice,
as well.

I did envision a small first aid kit
in the blower mount.

Later!

John
John, where are youns purchasing the fans? Thanks & nice work

G

Grandlakegod

Oct 19, 2018
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All, New member
I've got a used 2016 Honda 1000-5 with a Honda heater (bought it this way), but the cabin heat is a buzz killer. I had the heat mod done, but it didn't help. So I removed and bought a insulation kit from one of you helpful guys on this forum. It has helped, but it is still and issue and the folks in the back still complain out loud about the heat.
The question is has anyone tried the heat kit from DEI with the one blower, temp control, wiring and instruction. ?? Please advise. I need to do something quick with summer coming in Tulsa, OK or I just bought an fall and winter toy.
I like the 2 fan set up but was looking a kit to make a easier. If someone has a complete kit list with parts for everything and some simple wiring instruction. I would be more than happen to buy it from the.
Please advise.
Thanks
Troy
MOD's completed
enlarged cup holders
A arm guards
skid plate
spare tire mount
underseat insulation

Thanks again. I really enjoy reading about all the mods and places everyone has been riding.

Troy H

Reactions: TripleB
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This worked well for me. Bilge fans and solid 60mil rubber piece from bottom to top of seat

F2D2ECAF 07B0 4235 AD02 18C543921B36 7F3DD39E 84F6 4130 8919 AE04B1211FC2 7AA9069D 4495 4939 8E5A 9D7D78C8C61B

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
This is a blast from the past! Ha!

I bought two 3" blowers for a better buy at the
time from Amazon. I installed one and it helps a
lot, but even with my homemade heat shield &
the factory mod kit, I can still feel heat radiating
in during summer rides, so I am going to add in
the second 3" soon.

And I have never felt the need to reverse them
for winter riding. All buttoned up on cold days
or nights with the soft sides & back, we stay
very comfortable in fleece pullovers and jeans,
etc.

Later!

John

DanDan

DanDan

Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2018
Greenville, tejas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a few pics I wired the blowers with weather pak single connectors so I can just reverse them when its cold, If you can kinda make out the other pic its with the bed up and that metal piece runs along frame and around the engine. The bottom of the floor is also covered in the dynamat material as well.

View attachment 31854 View attachment 31855 View attachment 31856 View attachment 31857
Your second pic has one of the fan at a different angle. Is that the way you run it and why the angle?

DanDan

DanDan

Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2018
Greenville, tejas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went to an 8” radiator fan.. I don’t think it really matters as long as you get the air moving back
I asked about the radiator fan in another post and got differing thoughts. Seems like the rad fan would be the easiest. Did you bother to do a reverse?

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I asked about the radiator fan in another post and got differing thoughts. Seems like the rad fan would be the easiest. Did you bother to do a reverse?
I've tried both since this thread started. Couldn't really tell a difference between blower or fan. As for being easy, I think the blowers were easier to mount. Piece of 1x 1/8" flat bar and a U-bolt are all that's needed.
Whichever way you go, I've found they work much better if you kick them on soon as temps start to rise. They are less effective if you wait til heat gets uncomfortable

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Your second pic has one of the fan at a different angle. Is that the way you run it and why the angle?

That was so long ago I don't recall, those stopped working and I installed a radiator fan, it stopped working as well. I must be ruff on them. I don't run anything now

Reactions: Isaiah and DanDan
S

spedkid94

Oct 28, 2019
wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did this and reversed the fans with tubing and vents. Rode a few miles this weekend when the temp was around 40. after around 5 miles the output temp was 100. seems like a great heater option for under $100

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So, as I am looking at dealing with this heat for the summer my question becomes:

Do I try the bilge fan and see if it makes riding, especially through water, comfortable or do I just use the heat shielding?

Now, I hunt all through the fall and pick back up for spring gobbler. Still plan to ride through the winter so having the heat will be nice, but don't want the steam either.

Can all who just have the fan chime in on how it has helped and if it has resolved the hot steam? Thank you.

Like a previous response, I made my own heat shield based on material on Amazon, and I remove the doors in the summer. Removing the doors helps a LOT, and it's a cheap, east fix. I have considered the bilge fan, but I don't think I'll need it. The doors come off and on very easily. I can't yet judge how much of a dust problem riding w/o doors may be, but I think a lot of dust comes under the doors when they are on anyway (maybe need some door rubber gasket would help with that). I think many of us are trying to address the same problems. Lots of luck, and post any solutions you come up with.

Reactions: Plowboy1466

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!