P1000 Bilge fan or heat shielding?

JEP

JEP

May 4, 2015
Western PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I have a 7" fan under the seat and it seems to do little to help with the heat. It seems to be really bad lately. I have a 4" bilge fan ordered and it is to be delivered tomorrow(Gotta love Amazon). I plan on removing the 7" fan and replacing it with the bilge fan. When installing the bilge fan, is it best to angle the fan towards the passenger's side rear tire so the hot air does not blow straight back on the rear passengers?

And another question. If I can fit the 7" and bilge fan both under the front seat, can I power them off of the same wires?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I have a 7" fan under the seat and it seems to do little to help with the heat. It seems to be really bad lately. I have a 4" bilge fan ordered and it is to be delivered tomorrow(Gotta love Amazon). I plan on removing the 7" fan and replacing it with the bilge fan. When installing the bilge fan, is it best to angle the fan towards the passenger's side rear tire so the hot air does not blow straight back on the rear passengers?

And another question. If d skip all the BSI can fit the 7" and bilge fan both under the front seat, can I power them off of the same wires?
9 inch radiator and skip all the BS!

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3

And another question. If I can fit the 7" and bilge fan both under the front seat, can I power them off of the same wires?
The heat shield I bought on Amazon (it is about 1/2' or a little more with foil on one side) does help with a little more filling of air spaces with foam or a towel. What I bought has paper covering a sticky side, and I did not remove the paper since I didn't want something more permanent. The BIG difference in heat for me was removing the doors - huge and easy. I can't help you on the direction of the bilge fan direction, but please post if it helps a lot. Will you drill a 4" hole under the seat thru the plastic?

Reactions: Isaiah
JEP

JEP

May 4, 2015
Western PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Removing the doors is not really an option for us as we ride tight trails usually with heavy brush and limbs. The doors and screens are life savers for us.

I already have three 3" vents, under the front seat to help with air flow. Does not seem to pull air through like I thought it would. This i why I am switching to the bilge fan. I am hoping the smaller more concentrated air flow will allow the heat to escape from the side if angled correctly.

This winter I plan on installing Thermo Tec under the rear floor. I don't have time right right now as I already have to many unfinished projects around the house and ripping all the plastic out of the Pioneer seems like a full weekend project.

Reactions: TripleB
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the 4” bilge fan that takes care of the heat problem. But in winter, I added a flexible ducting to it and attached that to a vent at my feet. Now I have all the heat I want in winter.
37769262 F505 4FA3 9E29 D128BC6369D5

JEP

JEP

May 4, 2015
Western PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am considering adding flexible ducting to the fan and cutting a larger hole under the seat to attach it to. Help with air flow in the summer and reverse it for heat in the winter.

Everyone is buying vents from amazon for vents. I used small shower drains from Lowe's for my vents. Maybe that is part of the problem as there is to much surface area on the drain not allowing the maximum amount of air through.

BenM

BenM

Dec 5, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got 2 3" blowers and Joey has 1 4". I brought my temp gun along on a ride and he had lower seat temp than I did.
is the noise noticeable/nuance on either setup?

JEP

JEP

May 4, 2015
Western PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do not hear the 7" fan running while the machine is running. Only after I shut it off do I hear it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
is the noise noticeable/nuance on either setup?
No I don't think so. You can barely hear the whir of the fan at idle. Can't hear at all driving. Best tip is to turn on fan soon as you start your machine. Not as effective if you wait til seat gets hot.

Reactions: BenM and TripleB
advertisement
kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anybody used a thermal heat blanket to put directly on and over the engine, trans and exhaust?? I just got one and am about drape it over all heat generating areas. Just going to have to remove it to clean it after each ride. It should drastically reduce the heat transfer

Reactions: Buckslayr
B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anybody used a thermal heat blanket to put directly on and over the engine, trans and exhaust?? I just got one and am about drape it over all heat generating areas. Just going to have to remove it to clean it after each ride. It should drastically reduce the heat transfer
anxious to hear about this.

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
anxious to hear about this.

It works great so far! I cut the thermal blanket to fit yesterday and zip tied it together, the dipsticks and maintenance items are still easily accessible. Drove it around for about 30 minutes and noticed a huge difference, no more heat and it's MUCH quieter!! Planning on taking it out this weekend for a long ride and will report back.
375D0C1E DDF4 419F 8540 FD7F673A9D38
7E334F6A E91D 44A1 ADF3 BB932D9DCCA1
96A9D48D 1CD2 4FC9 94B4 4E6C0857BB76
74B6146A D73F 4D3A 9038 3F66E01FDDAE

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It works great so far! I cut the thermal blanket to fit yesterday and zip tied it together, the dipsticks and maintenance items are still easily accessible. Drove it around for about 30 minutes and noticed a huge difference, no more heat and it's MUCH quieter!! Planning on taking it out this weekend for a long ride and will report back.View attachment 218589View attachment 218592View attachment 218594 View attachment 218595
Were you able to cover the headers, I think that's where most of the front seat heat comes from?

JEP

JEP

May 4, 2015
Western PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone see the gold wrap from DEI? Could it be applied to the heat shield under the rear floor? If not, is there product that can be applied directly to a heat shield?

I switched my 7” fan for a 4” bilge fan. Seems to work much better.

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Were you able to cover the headers, I think that's where most of the front seat heat comes from?

Yes, For the most part. It made a noticeable difference

Last edited:
kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPDATE:
* The snorkel performed as it should. Had it over buried over the headlights and it didn't miss a lick!... Then had to proceed to drain the headlights lol

* Thermal Blanket Report: Went riding for a few hours this past weekend and the thermal blanket made a very noticeable difference! You can actually keep your arm hanging over the seat to the passenger side and not get scalded AND it didn’t feel like you were sitting on a baked potato! A minimal amount of steam still gets past when you hit some water but not nearly as much as before.

I’d recommend it!

Also to come: Adding a 3” air vent to the dash that will blow ambient air from an intake on the hood or heat from the radiator by use of a bilge fan! ... Thinking about adding AC somehow.

1 2 3

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!