ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPDATE:
* The snorkel performed as it should. Had it over buried over the headlights and it didn't miss a lick!... Then had to proceed to drain the headlights lol

* Thermal Blanket Report: Went riding for a few hours this past weekend and the thermal blanket made a very noticeable difference! You can actually keep your arm hanging over the seat to the passenger side and not get scalded AND it didn’t feel like you were sitting on a baked potato! A minimal amount of steam still gets past when you hit some water but not nearly as much as before.

I’d recommend it!

Also to come: Adding a 3” air vent to the dash that will blow ambient air from an intake on the hood or heat from the radiator by use of a bilge fan! ... Thinking about adding AC somehow.

View attachment 219452 View attachment 219453 View attachment 219454

How do you like the Seizmik Mirrors? Are they the plastic or aluminum mirrors?

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you like the Seizmik Mirrors? Are they the plastic or aluminum mirrors?

They're molded plastic and have a lifetime warranty- They don't care if you shoot them or hit them with a baseball bat, they'll replace it. Broke one on a tight trail, the mirror came out of the housing and lost it, they gladly sent a replacement. Would definitely recommend Seizmik!

Last edited:
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would be worried that the thermal blanket endeavor might cause overheating of the engine / transmission, but I'll give you kudos for all your efforts
Anyone see the gold wrap from DEI? Could it be applied to the heat shield under the rear floor? If not, is there product that can be applied directly to a heat shield?

I switched my 7” fan for a 4” bilge fan. Seems to work much better.
Do you have any pictures of how you installed the bilge fan? Can you reverse it to get heat in winter? Thanks

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would be worried that the thermal blanket endeavor might cause overheating of the engine / transmission, but I'll give you kudos for all your efforts

Do you have any pictures of how you installed the bilge fan? Can you reverse it to get heat in winter? Thanks
I hope he keeps us updated on the outcome after some long rides.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They're molded plastic and have a lifetime warranty- They don't care if you shoot them or hit them with a baseball bat, they'll replace it. Broke one on a tight trail, the mirror came out of the housing and lost it, they gladly sent a replacement. Would definitely recommend Seizmik!
I choked a little on the price, but Seizmik is a quality product for sure - no bounce, easy to install and adj, holds firmly in place, large mirror I would definitely buy them again and recommend them.

JEP

JEP

May 4, 2015
Western PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tincangob,

I do not have a pic of the install. I always want to take pics but get into the work mindset and always forget too. If you type Honda Pioneer bilge fan in a Google search and then click on images you will see a ton of pics.

As far as reversing the fan, I have my fan wired in with heat shrink wire connectors and can simply switch the wires and it will reverse fan. I do wish I would have done this somewhere easier to do this instead of under the seat. Live and learn I guess.

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks, I'm an Engineer so I tend to think outside of the box.

Haven't experienced any issues with overheating - The "blanket" is cut to fit and draped over the engine & trans to avoid heat transfer to the seat back, the exhaust is covered separately so there's no convective heat transfer to other components... From an engineering perspective, there shouldn't be any overheat issues since we're dealing with a water cooled engine here. Went on a 4 hour ride the other day and dogged it pretty hard. It didn't miss a beat!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks, I'm an Engineer so I tend to think outside of the box.

Haven't experienced any issues with overheating - The "blanket" is cut to fit and draped over the engine & trans to avoid heat transfer to the seat back, the exhaust is covered separately so there's no convective heat transfer to other components... From an engineering perspective, there shouldn't be any overheat issues since we're dealing with a water cooled engine here. Went on a 4 hour ride the other day and dogged it pretty hard. It didn't miss a beat!
I might try something like this, if u continue to have positive results.

JEP

JEP

May 4, 2015
Western PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What brand of blanket are you using? I am considering trying this under the rear seats but do want to use an inferior product and harm my machine or passengers.

advertisement
kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's rated for 2000 Degrees, there's no risk to passengers possible, unless they eat it... Don't let them eat it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoJoe78 and TripleB
J

Jwpmel

Sep 14, 2020
Conway
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put 2 12" automotive fans in mine last week. The one in the front is a pusher and the one in the rear is a puller. What a difference it made. The only heat ever felt was from steam when going through creeks. $60 on Amazon, $8 relay. With wire and connectors I have probably $75 in the setup. I am planning on putting the fans on a rocker switch for water and winter riding. BTW, it took about 2hrs to put it all in.

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put 2 12" automotive fans in mine last week. The one in the front is a pusher and the one in the rear is a puller. What a difference it made. The only heat ever felt was from steam when going through creeks. $60 on Amazon, $8 relay. With wire and connectors I have probably $75 in the setup. I am planning on putting the fans on a rocker switch for water and winter riding. BTW, it took about 2hrs to put it all in.

How does it handle after being submerged in water and mud?

J

Jwpmel

Sep 14, 2020
Conway
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How does it handle after being submerged in water and mud?
It worked fine but was never in the water for very long. As far as mud goes it didn't seem to have a problem...so far. Like I said I'm going to put them on a switch to turn them off when in water.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!