P500 Bouncy Little Ride

Mjs

Mjs

Mar 13, 2017
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
Hello
I am new to the forum and a new p5 owner as of sat. I sure like the little p5 but man what a bouncy ass ride!
Took it out across the cattle pasture
And if it was not for the seat belt I think it would have bounced me out. I lowered the tire pressure from 12.5 [ set by dealer]
To 7.5. This made a good difference but would like to know what a man can do to soften up the ride without breaking the bank. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I set the suspension on the second softest setting, and bought some radial tires. Mine rides ok now.

Mjs

Mjs

Mar 13, 2017
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the info guys.
Question about tires. I see a lot of you guys run 26" Bighorn 2. On stock Wheels this should help smooth out the ride yes?
Will these rub in tight turn or Will i need to add spacers? I would rather not. Most of my rideing is on the Arkansas River sand bars how do these perform in dry loose sand? Thanks

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
26" won't rub at all. I run 27" mud lite xtr on stock rims. They rub a little. No tire likes sand, but bighorns work pretty good all around.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh and bighorns are smooth riding...

Mjs

Mjs

Mar 13, 2017
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
Air shocks...if you are at all handy look into the Suspension thread and start reading at page 27. With these cheap shocks you can cross a field wide open without seatbelt burns.

P500 - p5 suspension
Interesting read. But I don't have time for all that. Makes me wonder why they just did spent the money on a hopped up rzr and been done with it. To each their own and more power to them though.
I take it no one make after market shocks for this say like fox? 26" bighorns are on order I'll start there for now.I really expected the P5 to ride as good if not better than my 05 Rincon.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello
I am new to the forum and a new p5 owner as of sat. I sure like the little p5 but man what a bouncy ass ride!
Took it out across the cattle pasture
And if it was not for the seat belt I think it would have bounced me out. I lowered the tire pressure from 12.5 [ set by dealer]
To 7.5. This made a good difference but would like to know what a man can do to soften up the ride without breaking the bank. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Drive at a speed appropriate to the terrain for 5" of suspension travel. Seriously, this is a cool little sxs but it is limited for ride comfort, probably why 38 mph is top speed.

advertisement
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
you can put shocks meant for a yamaha rhino on the front if you are able to turn the bottom shock mount around to enable the longer rhino length shocks to go on . I have Walker Evans on mine ,but progressive suspension sells a more reasonable priced unit. JAK9922 can alter your control arm to suit if you send it to him.
The consensus seems to be that changing the front shocks.....whether it's air shocks,or regular shocks makes the most difference overall compared to doing front and back.
No more being bounced off the seat while doing 5mph on the rough trails!
Here's some pics to show how simple it is to turn the lower mount around with minor welding ability Lower mount Lower turned around

Mjs

Mjs

Mar 13, 2017
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
Well cool beans! Stoped by Harbor Freight on the way home after work. picked up a manual tire changer, got home and the new tires are sitting on the porch three days early hot damn! Just over an hour and a half later new Bighorn 2.0 all the way around. 26x9 front 26x11 rear. Took it out a crossed the Gopher mound infested cattle pasture and the ride is better. Get up to speed ( over 30 ) and it smoothes out pretty good. 10 to 20 yeah well could be better! Saturday I'm going to remove the sway bar and take it for the same test ride then adjust the shocks to the lowest setting and see how it does. Cutting and Welding for new shocks I can handle just not ready to go that far yet....... Thanks for all the info. Oh hey I meant to ask. Would adding 1" spacers all the way around help any? really don't want to but if it helps I will

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well cool beans! Stoped by Harbor Freight on the way home after work. picked up a manual tire changer, got home and the new tires are sitting on the porch three days early hot damn! Just over an hour and a half later new Bighorn 2.0 all the way around. 26x9 front 26x11 rear. Took it out a crossed the Gopher mound infested cattle pasture and the ride is better. Get up to speed ( over 30 ) and it smoothes out pretty good. 10 to 20 yeah well could be better! Saturday I'm going to remove the sway bar and take it for the same test ride then adjust the shocks to the lowest setting and see how it does. Cutting and Welding for new shocks I can handle just not ready to go that far yet....... Thanks for all the info. Oh hey I meant to ask. Would adding 1" spacers all the way around help any? really don't want to but if it helps I will

You'll be happy with that set up, that's exactly what I did before the first ride. After the first ride I decided I needed spacers, the 500 is a bit tippy already, taking it up 2" and not taking it out just makes it worse. 1" on all four made a huge difference, I have them sitting on the bench now, put on after market wheels. Will make you a great deal on them if you're interested?
Let us know what you think about the ASB removal, haven't done that yet.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'll be happy with that set up, that's exactly what I did before the first ride. After the first ride I decided I needed spacers, the 500 is a bit tippy already, taking it up 2" and not taking it out just makes it worse. 1" on all four made a huge difference, I have them sitting on the bench now, put on after market wheels. Will make you a great deal on them if you're interested?
If he doesn't want them, tell me where to send the money....

Mjs

Mjs

Mar 13, 2017
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
Yes I'll take them how do we go about this?
I mainly want the spacers in hopes it will improve the ride as far as being tippy those of you that have tipped this little machine over must be doing some crazy s*** that I will never be doing! Well hold up I take that back I know better than to say never lol. Now I don't Putt-Putt around like Grandma but damn guys what are you doing to tipp these things over? Even with the new tires I feel safe

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just ordered 1.5" spacers for rear and 1" for the front. And mudbusters fender flares...

Reactions: Chooglin
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I was barely moving on a sketchy old logging road that had a bad angle as is and then the back slid on wet leaves into a rut and slow motion tip over. My 14 year old son was driving and he handled it well.

I now have 1.5" spacers on the rear and have driven the same trail numerous times and even worse and have not tipped over again.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!