SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I have decided to get spacers, because any injury from a tip-over would be nothing compared to what my wife would do to me. School me a little on this. I noticed William using 1.5" rear and 1" front, and KY just 1.5" rear. Is the rear more important than front? Why not use same size on both F&R?

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I figured that most of the weight was on the rear so the added width there would benefit me more, and I was cheap. If running factory wheels then use same spacer all around to keep stance the same. I have aftermarket wheels that unlike the factory wheels have the same offset all the way around. To get my front as wide as the rear I would only need 1" spacers up front. I may be off a 0.5" or so I didn't look up the factory offset but I know they vary front to back, my wheels are 5/2 offset.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I figured that most of the weight was on the rear so the added width there would benefit me more, and I was cheap. If running factory wheels then use same spacer all around to keep stance the same. I have aftermarket wheels that unlike the factory wheels have the same offset all the way around. To get my front as wide as the rear I would only need 1" spacers up front. I may be off a 0.5" or so I didn't look up the factory offset but I know they vary front to back, my wheels are 5/2 offset.

Thanks KY. I still have OEM wheels, so I will probably do 1" or 1.5" all around.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yes I'll take them how do we go about this?
I mainly want the spacers in hopes it will improve the ride as far as being tippy those of you that have tipped this little machine over must be doing some crazy s*** that I will never be doing! Well hold up I take that back I know better than to say never lol. Now I don't Putt-Putt around like Grandma but damn guys what are you doing to tipp these things over? Even with the new tires I feel safe

It will definitely help with the tippyness. Ruts are generally what gets you tipping, not cornering or anything. Almost tipped mine trying to turn around on a trail that was banked on both sides.
I'll PM you.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I just put 5+2 offset ITP's on mine, no spacers front or back, 26x9x12 front and 26x11x12 rear. BH 2.0's
Outside of tires at center of hubs, 53" front and 53 3/4" in rear. I was at 52 1/4" with same tires on stock wheels and 1" spacers on all four.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I just put 5+2 offset ITP's on mine, no spacers front or back, 26x9x12 front and 26x11x12 rear. BH 2.0's
Outside of tires at center of hubs, 53" front and 53 3/4" in rear. I was at 52 1/4" with same tires on stock wheels and 1" spacers on all four.
Sounds about right I am at 54" front and about 56.75" on the rear with the 1.5" spacers and I am running the same size tires as you. If I put 1" spacers up front I would be about the same all around.

Reactions: trigger
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have decided to get spacers, because any injury from a tip-over would be nothing compared to what my wife would do to me. School me a little on this. I noticed William using 1.5" rear and 1" front, and KY just 1.5" rear. Is the rear more important than front? Why not use same size on both F&R?
I measured the rear a little more narrow than the front. I ordered a little wider in the back to make up for it.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remeasured tonight. With 11s in the rear and 9s in front, the width is basically exactly the same. The last time I measured was when I had 10s in rear and 9s on front. It was more narrow in rear then. I run stock rims. I ordered another set of 1" spacers and will return the 1.5" spacers...

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes I'll take them how do we go about this?
I mainly want the spacers in hopes it will improve the ride as far as being tippy those of you that have tipped this little machine over must be doing some crazy s*** that I will never be doing! Well hold up I take that back I know better than to say never lol. Now I don't Putt-Putt around like Grandma but damn guys what are you doing to tipp these things over? Even with the new tires I feel safe
Lol, spacers aren't going to improve suspension and you're not likely to lay it on its side in a cow pasture. But get it out on a good trail, one washed and rutted, rocky and steep and you'll learn how easily the P5 can lay over.

Reactions: William
Mjs

Mjs

Mar 13, 2017
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
Lol, spacers aren't going to improve suspension and you're not likely to lay it on its side in a cow pasture. But get it out on a good trail, one washed and rutted, rocky and steep and you'll learn how easily the P5 can lay over.
I never said anything about spacers aiding suspension nor did I say anything about laying it over in a cow pasture so thanks for the assumption you just made us both look like a jackass

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I never said anything about spacers aiding suspension nor did I say anything about laying it over in a cow pasture so thanks for the assumption you just made us both look like a jackass
You said you'd take the spacers with the hope it would improve the ride. That's suspension. It will improve the P5's tippy tendencies however. You also seemed incredulous that people were depicting the P5 as easily flipped, insinuating that people must be driving in an unsafe manor. When you get off the pasture and onto some rough trail I'm satisfied you'll concur. :) And welcome to the forum.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Are you still able to fit between the wheel wells with that set up, or did you have to build a ramp or something and go over them?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One thing to think about with spacers is that you are adding more leverage by moving the wheels out. It will make a difference in the ride but probably not that noticeable. You'd need 2" spacers probably to notice. Try to imagine the leverage of a 10" spacer, I know that is unrealistic but the suspension would probably sag a lot and bottom out the shocks with that much leverage. Another view is what if you had your tires directly under the springs, it would stiffen up quite a bit.

One more thought... spacers actually increase wheel travel as the radius is longer now. The A-arms don't move any further but the tires is further from the pivot point.

I'm just rambling, probably not making real world differences. Spacers help a stability, wheel travel, soften the suspension, and throw more mud in your face.

" jak9922" lmfao grilling hotdogs on a stick over an open popo hahahahaha

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good choice. Had them on stock wheels with spacers and now on after market wheels, 26" won't rub.

Mine does 43, according to the speedo.
I get 41 out of mine according to the speedo.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
have a 4runner and a 8' wide trailer so never considered it. But with 48" between wheel wells and 12" of wheel well total it should fit.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
have a 4runner and a 8' wide trailer so never considered it. But with 48" between wheel wells and 12" of wheel well total it should fit.
I've got 51.5" between wheel wells.

Mjs

Mjs

Mar 13, 2017
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
You said you'd take the spacers with the hope it would improve the ride. That's suspension. It will improve the P5's tippy tendencies however. You also seemed incredulous that people were depicting the P5 as easily flipped, insinuating that people must be driving in an unsafe manor. When you get off the pasture and onto some rough trail I'm satisfied you'll concur. :) And welcome to the forum.
Yes I did say I would take the spacers in hopes it will improve in ride. You can inprove the ride in a number of ways without doing anything to the suspension.
The first thing I did was to replace the stock 24" bias tires with 26" radial tires
On stock rims at 10 lbs. Of air and this helped the ride but didn't do anything for the suspension. When I say help the ride I mean as in comfort not so rough or bouncy. Hell if i could somehow install a Lazy Boy recliner in this thing I Bet that would do the trick. Widening the stance with wheel spacers as JOEYMT33 explained and very good I might add will help but I agree 1 Inch spacers may not be noticeable but every little bit counts. Now The Lazy Boy joke gave me an idea have you or anyone else thought about Springs under the seat like the seat springs on a Harley hardtail? And thank you glad to be here

Reactions: joeymt33
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes I did say I would take the spacers in hopes it will improve in ride. You can inprove the ride in a number of ways without doing anything to the suspension.
The first thing I did was to replace the stock 24" bias tires with 26" radial tires
On stock rims at 10 lbs. Of air and this helped the ride but didn't do anything for the suspension. When I say help the ride I mean as in comfort not so rough or bouncy. Hell if i could somehow install a Lazy Boy recliner in this thing I Bet that would do the trick. Widening the stance with wheel spacers as JOEYMT33 explained and very good I might add will help but I agree 1 Inch spacers may not be noticeable but every little bit counts. Now The Lazy Boy joke gave me an idea have you or anyone else thought about Springs under the seat like the seat springs on a Harley hardtail? And thank you glad to be here
You're welcome. Nope, the only part of the P5's suspension/ride that has ever been a concern for me in the terrain that I ride in, is the fact that it's so easily laid on its side. There's no shortage of photos of that on this forum and others. I've long ago switched to taller radials and removed the ASB. I will be doing the air shock mod next.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!