P1000 Broken axle?

Wisco_rider

Wisco_rider

Apr 25, 2020
Hartland,wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my pioneer buried in some thick stuff over the weekend. While trying to power out in 4L Locked I heard a loud clunk and my drivers side front tire stopped spinning. Tried reversing out, same clunk, but still no wheel spin.

We got her out and I made it back to homebase no problem. After getting home and taking a look at it, the drivers side front axle has a lot of play in it. I can grab it with my hand and wiggle it inboard/outboard. I assume this means I broke something, since the passenger side is solid. After I got it off the trailer I could hear popping/clicking.

Axle shot? CV? Think warranty would cover it? I dont want my machine out of service for ages...it took my dealership over 2 weeks to do my initial service. I cant imagine how long it would take to try to get warranty work done...and thats if the parts are even available.

Reactions: Plumber32
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
i've seen CV's come apart inside the boot, might be worth taking it apart and seeing if you cna just put it back together.

Wisco_rider

Wisco_rider

Apr 25, 2020
Hartland,wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the boot isn't ripped then a good service department could get it covered.
Just went and took a look. I am assuming it has a hole/tear in it somewhere. I can hear it sucking/pushing air when I move the axle. There is also grease on the outside of the boot.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You probably broke the cage in the outer CV, it'll look something like this depending on how far you had to drive out on it:

I'd just order a replacement axle rather than deal with the hassle of the warranty/dealership. You could try and rebuild your broken one for a spare.

Wisco_rider

Wisco_rider

Apr 25, 2020
Hartland,wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd just order a replacement axle rather than deal with the hassle of the warranty/dealership. You could try and rebuild your broken one for a spare.
Yea, thats the plan. Ill have a new one here tomorrow. I called my dealer and they said it would be slim that they would cover it. Not worth my time hauling it there, them keeping it for however long and then it getting denied and then I would be on the hook for the $150 diagnostic charge. $200 for a new axle and Ill be good again.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, thats the plan. Ill have a new one here tomorrow. I called my dealer and they said it would be slim that they would cover it. Not worth my time hauling it there, them keeping it for however long and then it getting denied and then I would be on the hook for the $150 diagnostic charge. $200 for a new axle and Ill be good again.
What trails did it happen on and who's your dealer? I'm in Wisconsin also

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!