• Start date
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Most accessories come as you find the need for them. Haven't seen your name on the list yet for a shield? Apparently you haven't discovered that need yet. 🤔
Haha - I actually was going to edit my last post earlier and say that I was going to also get on the list for a "trigger shield", but didn't think it fit with my complexity issues 🤣

Definitely add me to the list man. I am trying to hold off on buying anything outside of the OEM stuff from the dealer before the machine gets in, but I did end up ordering the Kolpin Rear Windshield yesterday off Amazon for $112. I'm confident it will be in this month, but don't wanna get a bunch of stuff stacked up and realize its delayed or not gonna get there for whatever reason.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Locker job has more steps but take each one at a time as described in forum threads and the excellent instructions provided (authored by a forum member). It and the EPS are worth it. Impact wrench on neither, and only a hammer and small punch with the little keeper pin. Good threads here on both installations.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
"Working on your UTV for Dummies"
If your looking for dummies you've come to the right place.
There are several write ups on this site for how to install the p500 locker and any other accessory you might want.
Also a link to a video:

If you have questions about wrenching do a search on this site.
I use Google, add "site:hondasxs.com" to your search and it shows what is on the public face of the site (if your searching the pub you have issues).

Or just ask, the dummies will post up.

Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe

Mar 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've got a long list of mods/upgrades I'm planning on doing to my 520 and trying to save cash by doing installs myself. I've been doing some reading/watching videos/etc and am not positive I feel 100% confident installing the EPS (was planning on buying from SuperATV) and the Torq locker. I'm planning on adding both for the tracks this fall. The EPS seems easier than the Torq locker, but both seem pretty intensive as far as knowing exactly what your're doing.

I'm not a well versed mechanic by any means (stare at 2 computer screens all day) and wondering if anybody that has done these installs themselves can add any tips/tricks and if its even worth attempting myself (worst case scenario?) or just paying somebody to do it?

I'm planning on getting the Honda sub harness and attempting to install the winch before these upgrades, so I'll have a little more mechanical experience haha.

Thanks for any advice/guidance/help
Did the satv ex steer myself and I'm just a simple minded sheet metal worker...I'm a fabricator not a mechanic! Any other upgrades...Yes! Portals to help clear those bigger tires and heavy duty tie rods! I really liked my Sedona buzzsaw xc tires! Aggressive as hell but not too obnoxious on hard pack trails! Ran one with no pressure for 24 miles down a rough trail and no issues!

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Our strongest attribute here is helping you spend your money. As we assist ya gettin it right it justifies us to spend more of our own because, well, so and so has one of those I should get one too! You'll become an enabler and help us drain budgets. Welcome aboard!

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks dudes for all the replies and encouragement haha - I think the biggest thing for me will just be slowing the F down and not trying to rush to get everything done.

Locker job has more steps but take each one at a time as described in forum threads and the excellent instructions provided (authored by a forum member). It and the EPS are worth it. Impact wrench on neither, and only a hammer and small punch with the little keeper pin. Good threads here on both installations.

Mudder are you talking about like the 16:20 mark in the video @lee posted? He starts drilling at 16:13 and and then punching the pin out at 16:20. You just use a little bigger drill bit and go all the way through that hole and the pin? I'm kinda confused on what he's actually doing there to get the pin out? What kind of punch do I need to get?

Take pics before you remove something or you will end up with spare parts like me 🤣🤣🤣🤣
This is for sure one of my biggest fears

Did the satv ex steer myself and I'm just a simple minded sheet metal worker...I'm a fabricator not a mechanic! Any other upgrades...Yes! Portals to help clear those bigger tires and heavy duty tie rods! I really liked my Sedona buzzsaw xc tires! Aggressive as hell but not too obnoxious on hard pack trails! Ran one with no pressure for 24 miles down a rough trail and no issues!
Those portals are badass for sure, but gonna be way outside 50" right? I gotta stay as close as possible to 50 for trails up here

Our strongest attribute here is helping you spend your money. As we assist ya gettin it right it justifies us to spend more of our own because, well, so and so has one of those I should get one too! You'll become an enabler and help us drain budgets. Welcome aboard!
There will be money spent my friend. 🤟

Reactions: Mudder and J80
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Trigger - I have an impact wrench coming and going to attempt these myself. Biggest fear is getting s*** apart and then not knowing where it goes or how it goes back together haha. I'll post questions if I have them, but fingers crossed I'll get them done. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it
Typically when I take things apart that can be complex I have my phone handy and snap images so I can get them back together. Also I’ll use a felt marker and zip lock bags and a box, stuff gets cleaned tossed in the marked bag and sequentially placed in the box. Might take a little longer (on disassembly) but it goes back together and is usually quicker. Hate getting it all back together and seeing “extra” parts on the bench 😂🤣

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
When you install the locker, do not unscrew and twist the 4wd sensor wire on the driver’s side, it just pulls off.

So literally just pull straight out, no wrench or twisting just grab with two fingers and pull straight out?

That was one of the only things I had trouble with was that pin, didn't know I had to smack it that hard to get it out.
How do you make the dimple or whatever when you put the pin back in?

Also was wondering about those springs in there...they just seat in there and won't come out once the locker is actually moving and engaged?

I watched that video multiple times before posting this thread, but re-watched it again yesterday and today, and I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing.

Thanks again

Reactions: J80 and Mudder
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
The EPS was very easy to install, pretty straight forward....don’t over tighten the mounting bolts or it will bind up. The locker was a little more involved but the included directions are very easy to follow IMO. Both mods are well worth the money

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes, the drill just shaves off the dimple edge on the housing that is pressing against the pin. When putting back in, use a pointed end punch. It really is fairly easy, tap punch to set a spot then bang to dimple. Worst part is the diff oil smell, wish I wore gloves.

Last edited:
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, the drill just shaves off the dimple edge on the housing that is pressing against the big cross pin. When putting back in, use a pointed end punch. It really is fairly easy, tap punch to set a spot then bang to dimple. Worst part is the diff oil smell, wish I wore gloves.
That diff oil was something else, I wish I would have remembered to drain it before I pulled the diff.....too excited to get it done lol

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I consider myself mechanically declined. That being said, I completed both of these myself. I'm comfortable doing oil changes, but really not much else! Studied up and printed out what I could find, making notes on helpful hints that had cropped up in others' installs. It took me way longer to do than someone with mechanical aptitude, but all the necessary instructions are here, along with exceptional folks to help with questions along the way (very promptly, I might add).

A floor jack and jack stands are helpful, which I have. Had to go to store to buy a punch that narrow. Local auto parts place had the purple gear oil (already forgot the name!). A dedicated place to put it to work on it, of course.

The EPS isn't bad at all; kinda fun. Buy the inexpensive Accessories Wiring Harness from Honda. The locker install isn't really all that hard, just go slow and keep up with washers and O rings. It was kinda cool to open up the diff casing, remove the existing gears and replace with the nifty locker. And everyone should experience the distinct smell of diff lube! You may need a second set of hands when reinstalling the diff, aligning the drive shaft.

I'm not saying you should take it on; believe me I understand the reluctance. Just sharing my thoughts! Whether you install or not, both are worth the expenditure.

And, oh yes, do the bumper and winch after, as stated. I had to get a buddy to help with my winch install. I'm not very good mechanically; I'm worse electrically!

Keep us posted!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes, the drill just shaves off the dimple edge on the housing that is pressing against the big cross pin. When putting back in, use a pointed end punch. It really is fairly easy, tap punch to set a spot then bang to dimple. Worst part is the diff oil smell, wish I wore gloves.
The smell and gloves, reminds me of my first intimate relation with a girl, I got over it! HA!

C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
You said trail riding and hunting as your primary use. With good tires and a bit of common sense and experience you will be amazed at where your machine will go without a locker id get good rubber EPS and a skid plate and run it some to see if the locker is really needed for your riding style. i think you also mentioned 50” trails. Tracks will put you way too wide. As far as ice fishing depending on how far you go snow depth tires etc you may not need tracks. Tire chains will be a big help and the machine will handle a foot of snow fine. A Utv will never be a snowmobile with or without tracks. They are very slow with tracks on and they put a lot of strain on the drive train. You could get a very good used snowmobile for the price of tracks and you have a machine designed for snow. Right tool for the job. And like others have said scrap the impact wrench. Lots of damage can be done with one in inexperienced hands.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!