P1000 Building my P1K5 Frank

Shroomy

Shroomy

Mar 25, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all I've been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I would like to say thank you to all who take the time to post their mods, answer questions and help those like me.
I picked up a PK1-5 in green a few weeks ago and have big plans for upgrades and additions along with some questions for the pros.

Done already: (not much)
  • bimini top
  • 2 pc hardcoat windshield
  • flag whip
  • mirrors & extra grab handles
  • Full 1/2" skid plate & A arm guards ordered but not here yet
Plans in the near future:
  • Lights, I love what others have done, esp. Jackal and cumminspusher, I want something like that incl: light bar, 45 deg cubes, back up, and a remote/movable spotlight lights to start.
  • Winch
  • stereo
  • gun rack
  • lift & larger tires (looking for more clearance)
  • 2nd battery
  • Some way to hold a spare
At the end of the summer I will need to get a plow and some type of enclosure for hunting.

I am ready to get the winch and lights ordered but at am at a loss as to where to start, I am planning on starting with the 2nd battery and the switches/relays so I have somewhere to wire it up. I have never dealt with utv/atv wiring but have done plenty of wiring/electrical on boats and I assume that its the same. I will have plenty of questions and thank all in advance.

Now for the fun stuff, I took the pioneer out last weekend to the sand dunes in southern Utah. I was a bit worried about getting stuck with no winch but the P1K kicked butt. handled everything I could throw at it with room for more. I was especially impressed when we got to the slick rock, I easily climbed things that I thought no way before attempting, but sadly I didn't take any pics of that part of the ride. For now enjoy some pics and thanks for taking the time to listen/read.----Nate

20160407 151125 20160407 154142 20160407 174911 20160407 182010 20160407 182124

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's really cool scenery, a lot different vs what we have on this side of the Mississippi.

As for spare tire mounting, you can check my build for some pics you may like. I made a spare tire and fuel tank mount that I can remove easily.

Sounds like you got a good start and a good vision of where you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
The term "slick rock" used to describe the terrain in Moab makes it sound like you wouldn't get good traction anywhere. But did you know that the name came from early settlers to the area because their horses metal horseshoes couldn't get good traction?

Ok now I sound like a nerd. I thought it was interesting though!

Very cool ride @Shroomy! Welcome to the club!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Shroomy Welcome to the club! Love riding in Utah, spent 3 weeks on the Paiute trail system and loved it, ran out of time and didn't get a chance at MOAB. I will go back for sure! Wife said Utah is her favorite place to go thus far.

Regarding accessories and wiring check out my build thread, link in my sig below. I mounted the winch up high on the bumper so it's easy to get to and not down in the mud / snow as with the OEM setup.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey all I've been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I would like to say thank you to all who take the time to post their mods, answer questions and help those like me.
I picked up a PK1-5 in green a few weeks ago and have big plans for upgrades and additions along with some questions for the pros.

• bimini top
  • flag whip
  • Lights, I love what others have done, esp. Jackal and cumminspusher, I want something like that incl: light bar, 45 deg cubes, back up, and a remote/movable spotlight lights to start.
  • Winch
  • stereo
  • gun rack
  • 2nd battery
At the end of the summer I will need to get a plow and some type of enclosure for hunting.

I am ready to get the winch and lights ordered but at am at a loss as to where to start, I am planning on starting with the 2nd battery and the switches/relays so I have somewhere to wire it up. I have never dealt with utv/atv wiring but have done plenty of wiring/electrical on boats and I assume that its the same. I will have plenty of questions and thank all in advance.

Now for the fun stuff, I took the pioneer out last weekend to the sand dunes in southern Utah. I was a bit worried about getting stuck with no winch but the P1K kicked butt. handled everything I could throw at it with room for more. I was especially impressed when we got to the slick rock, I easily climbed things that I thought no way before attempting, but sadly I didn't take any pics of that part of the ride. For now enjoy some pics and thanks for taking the time to listen/read.----Nate

View attachment 13420 View attachment 13421 View attachment 13422 View attachment 13423 View attachment 13424
Beautiful rig in a beautiful setting! I'm jealous I'd love to be there. We get out a lot but not that far. Absolutely gorgeous. Need any ideas or questions I'm always down from big to small. Remember to purchase and place things where they are out of the way and don't interfere with future items,these things are addictive and you may not know what you want to add or take away till you lay down some miles in different settings at different times with different people. Items for one guy may not be the accessories for another, some are just standard needs in general. And it can be done reasonable just do it right the first time. It's all about everyone with the same ultimate goals-to have fun and get out! I know you're smiling ear to ear it's hard not to when you realize what you just did.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the fourm, think we need to think about a [HASHTAG]#pioneertakeover[/HASHTAG] event out west!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I would be down for MOAB or Paiute Trails in Utah, cant begin to scratch it in 2 or 3 days though, need a weeklong rally :)

Shroomy

Shroomy

Mar 25, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all for the welcomes, this is an awesome forum. I have a bunch of my parts and acc ordered and now just waiting.
I do have a couple of questions, I know I am going to need some wire, what gauge will I need? I would prefer to buy a couple of large rolls (1 red, 1 black/white) but I don't want to short it and I don't want to have to buy a bunch of different gauges. I'm looking at 2 led cubes for the back, 2 fot front (side lightind), 2 for front (fog lights) and a 12 or 20" lightbar up front to start.
@JACKAL Where did you pick up you bussman fuse and relay box, I would like to find one that's ready to go.

I found this-- Purchase Our Products --Will this work??

Thanks again for all the help and support

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks all for the welcomes, this is an awesome forum. I have a bunch of my parts and acc ordered and now just waiting.
I do have a couple of questions, I know I am going to need some wire, what gauge will I need? I would prefer to buy a couple of large rolls (1 red, 1 black/white) but I don't want to short it and I don't want to have to buy a bunch of different gauges. I'm looking at 2 led cubes for the back, 2 fot front (side lightind), 2 for front (fog lights) and a 12 or 20" lightbar up front to start.
@JACKAL Where did you pick up you bussman fuse and relay box, I would like to find one that's ready to go.

I found this-- Purchase Our Products --Will this work??

Thanks again for all the help and support
L Terminals for Battery: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QCEQO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Battery: Amazon.com: Odyssey PC925L Drycell Battery: Automotive
Battery Isolator: Amazon.com: 140 Amp Dual Battery Isolator & ATV UTV Wiring Kit by KeyLine Chargers - Voltage Sensitive Relay - VSR: Automotive
Power Distribution Module: Universal Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Panel Cooper Bussmann ATV UTV RV Boat 4X4
That should let you hook up anything you need.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Image Image

• bimini top
  • flag whip
  • Winch
  • stereo
  • gun rack
  • 2nd battery

View attachment 13420 View attachment 13421 View attachment 13422 View attachment 13423 View attachment 13424
One thing I'd consider is running two isolators one for battery and one for accessories. It's super easy and allows you to run a separate switch for accessories so if you wont have to sit there with key on or flip ALL of your switches off individually. You can run any or all items easily without use of key and be sure they are all shut off. It's the way to go. Also suggest installing a circuit breaker directly after the second battery not only does this give you added protection it allows you to totally shut anything live down instantly in case say a problem, adding more equipment or for storage. It would simply be connected after 2nd battery then to your accessory relay that's it. Never disconnect that battery again. I went way beyond on some things but others seem very practical and will incorporate into all future builds! This is the best style of isolator for battery as it never actually connects the two so you can run your spare all the way down if needed and never burden your main. It will charge your main first then you're 2nd. It's slightly more money but you can find deals and it is actually easier to hook up. Positive from main now goes to one terminal one goes back to main and a third goes to spare that's it. You can check out my ride as well for ideas and I'm always willing to help as well as many good people on this site

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Christmas!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tot
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I love Christmas too!! Looks like a great weekend! We'll be camping this weekend with service but I'm interested in whatcha got so I'll be watchin. If there's anything I can help with yell this way

Last edited:
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
My wife just sent me this picture while I am at work... Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend. Will update with progress. (and questions)

View attachment 14018
Oh man, after seeing that, I just gotta order something else now.

Which skids did you order?

Reactions: Tflynn
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: ghost and Shroomy
Shroomy

Shroomy

Mar 25, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Made a little progress this evening, I got the second battery and the battery idolater installed. I need to still figure out how to secure the second battery so it doesn't bounce around when things get rough. I also got the PDM mounted but not wired yet. I don't want to have the accessories run with the key off (at least not for now, I will add a master switch later) I am not sure how to go about wiring this PDM to do what I want, it looks like it is meant to run hot all the time. I know I need to do a bit more research but as far as I can tell there is only one ground wire for everything and I was hoping I can find a key on ground. Is there such a thing or am I missing something else? As always thanks for the help.
Tomorrow Its time to install the winch
20160422 214900 20160422 214854 20160422 222247 20160422 22225520160422 22230120160422 223931

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
The ground on the PDM is just for the relays.
The PDM will provide +12 to your accessories. I used an 85 amp relay to supply power to the PDM - a switch on the dash activates the relay but you could also use key-on power to activate it.
I used a ground bus to simplify the grounding on mine.

There is a long thread with lots of electrical stuff - I think its called "electrical help"
IMG 2349

Reactions: vince
Shroomy

Shroomy

Mar 25, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The ground on the PDM is just for the relays.
The PDM will provide +12 to your accessories. I used an 85 amp relay to supply power to the PDM - a switch on the dash activates the relay but you could also use key-on power to activate it.
I used a ground bus to simplify the grounding on mine.

There is a long thread with lots of electrical stuff - I think its called "electrical help"
View attachment 14092

Thanks for the quick reply, I read that thread about electrical help and just ordered the relay that I want but I hate waiting so I think I will head over tho the autopart store and see if I can find a temp part to do the same thing. Maybe a solenoid or some other relay, we will see what they have.

Reactions: 62straight
Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!