P1000m5 Buying out of state

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
While scanning the internet for the perfect deal on a 1000-5 It seems that better deals are to be had in other states vs buying here in MN. Specifically at Abernathy’s in TN which so happens to be about an hour away from my in-laws. My question is how are taxes and registration handled when you buy out of state? For the price difference it would be worth the drive.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While scanning the internet for the perfect deal on a 1000-5 It seems that better deals are to be had in other states vs buying here in MN. Specifically at Abernathy’s in TN which so happens to be about an hour away from my in-laws. My question is how are taxes and registration handled when you buy out of state? For the price difference it would be worth the drive.
You will pay taxes on it when you register it in your state.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
esvolcom08

esvolcom08

May 2, 2019
STL
Depends on if MN taxes sxs. I bought from Abernathy and MO doesn’t have sales tax for utvs over 51”. I did buy the extended warranty and paid TN taxes on that. Call them and ask.

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I can’t say for sure but would assume the way MN taxes everything there is tax in sxs’s.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
have to call your dmv and find out what the laws are, typically you would be responsible for the tax in your state when you title it. when I bought my rhino in okc they didn't charge me tax and utvs over 1000 lbs are farm vehicles that aren't titled or registered in ny so i didn't pay tax because I didn't register it, quads are too you only have to register it on state land and there is almost none, parks are private land

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've bought 2 in Tennessee never paid anything for Georgia where I live. I had to pay Tennessee off road tax it was 7 dollars a thousand that was it.

Reactions: Biteme and sharp
F

Fldoghunter

Apr 19, 2020
The flatwoods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Since atvs don't need a tag, what would happen if you don't register it when you get back home? If a few years later, you for some reason needed to register it, I'm sure you'd have to pay tax on what you bought it for. Would there be any repercussions for not registering it until later? If you buy insurance, would they require it to be registered?

Reactions: Biteme and JenElio
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Since atvs don't need a tag, what would happen if you don't register it when you get back home? If a few years later, you for some reason needed to register it, I'm sure you'd have to pay tax on what you bought it for. Would there be any repercussions for not registering it until later? If you buy insurance, would they require it to be registered?
I have bought out of state for years. I have insurance through progressive. They don't require a registration to insure in GA. They are not road legal here but I live in a rural area and law enforcement doesn't ever give a problem on the road as long as you are not acting foolish.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did that with a tractor I bought 11 years ago and it never came back on me about the taxes. I Im assuming I'm in the clear now. I also did that on two atvs 15 years or so ago. I personally know 2 guys that got nabbed 2 years ago for sales taxes on a sxs and a boat, a year after they bought them in another state. Im not sure if they had any penalties or not. But what screwed them the most was that they could have financed the tax if they would have paid it 1st. I think everything is so electronic nowadays that it makes it easier for the state to figure out who owes sales tax to them, no matter where u bought it. I personally wont try it again because i give up gambling a long time ago when i figured out i was a loser. Lol. If u like to gamble go for it and u could save 1-3k depending on machine and state u live in.

Formula1

Formula1

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I bought mine at Abernathys and I live in Missouri. Here we don't register or pay taxes on UTV's. But like others have said, if your state requires it then you will just pay it when you register it in your state.

I had a great experience at Abernathys for what it's worth.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I bought mine in Alabama and they registered it for me and paid FL taxes too. I know in FL if u don't have the sticker displayed WMAs won't let u in.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I did that with a tractor I bought 11 years ago and it never came back on me about the taxes. I Im assuming I'm in the clear now. I also did that on two atvs 15 years or so ago. I personally know 2 guys that got nabbed 2 years ago for sales taxes on a sxs and a boat, a year after they bought them in another state. Im not sure if they had any penalties or not. But what screwed them the most was that they could have financed the tax if they would have paid it 1st. I think everything is so electronic nowadays that it makes it easier for the state to figure out who owes sales tax to them, no matter where u bought it. I personally wont try it again because i give up gambling a long time ago when i figured out i was a loser. Lol. If u like to gamble go for it and u could save 1-3k depending on machine and state u live in.

Tractors don't have titles, or require any registration from the state. If I sell a tractor to an out of state buyer, I don't have to collect sales tax. If you're NOT tax exempt (farming, etc) I guess you're supposed to pay the sales tax when you get home. If you don't, I suppose if they audited you, they might make you pay the sales tax.

I bought out of state, and tried to get out of registering it. The bank I financed with got pretty testy about it after a couple months, so I had to bite the bullet and write a check for the sales tax, registration, and plate. I think it's bullcrap that they want us to pay for registration and a plate when we can't "legally" ride roads. In PA, off road vehicles are registered through the Dept. of Conservation of Natural Resources (game wardens). The plate only gives me the right to run state forests, which I never do. But they will fine you for not having a plate, even if you're not on state ground.

I've never installed the plate on my machine

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!