Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Unfortunately I think a lot of what's coming down the road for Sxs is based off of studies just like the automobile world. Complicated and expensive to fix doesn't seem to bother the general consumer till there's a problem with it.
Just like diff lock in the 1000 some seem to get all worked up it's not as "seem less" as others and you have to stop or do things you "shouldn't " have to to use it. Truth is you don't and those that use the machine hard are well aware of that but others want to fight that and that's why the LE was developed.
More complicated isn't usually better however it's better for those that don't want an extra step. Population has become lazy and want to just hit the gas and go. I applaud Honda for having multiple choices at this point hopefully that continues and maybe other makes can follow but that's not the way I think it's going. These are going to get much more complicated and people will be forced to visit the dealership for complicated repairs, the days of the Foreman strategy where it'll last on the farm without issue for 20+ years is long gone. People want the next best thing and the companies are providing it at a cost down the road. K.i.s.s is a thing of the past.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Dear God

You know how a shear pump works right? The principles are EXACTLY the same as a torque convertor.

And yes, I do know how they work. If I have to explain why a system that applies the BRAKES to develop torque causes a loss in momentum trying to explain that how the Visco-lok works would probably cause people heads to explode.

There is no way that you can use physics to explain how a system that applies the brakes is going to lose less momentum that a system that uses fluid to transfer energy between a moving part and a non moving part. If that principal held true, lots of systems would use brakes to transfer energy rather than viscous couplings, clutches, etc.

They don't. That for most people, would be called "A clue".

I think I see why so many of you are die hard Honda fans.

Good luck guys.

Sayonara.

First I have to address the fact that you liked your own post which is hilarious.

Second, nobody here will miss you and your sanctimonious pseudo-science lectures.

Third, you're still wrong about the momentum thing and you can't explain it because you don't understand it. As the old quote goes "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" Instead you throw out straw man statements about BRAKES!1!!11!!.

Anyways, the new 50" Can Am is neat. More competition is invariably a good thing.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Unfortunately I think a lot of what's coming down the road for Sxs is based off of studies just like the automobile world. Complicated and expensive to fix doesn't seem to bother the general consumer till there's a problem with it.
Just like diff lock in the 1000 some seem to get all worked up it's not as "seem less" as others and you have to stop or do things you "shouldn't " have to to use it. Truth is you don't and those that use the machine hard are well aware of that but others want to fight that and that's why the LE was developed.
More complicated isn't usually better however it's better for those that don't want an extra step. Population has become lazy and want to just hit the gas and go. I applaud Honda for having multiple choices at this point hopefully that continues and maybe other makes can follow but that's not the way I think it's going. These are going to get much more complicated and people will be forced to visit the dealership for complicated repairs, the days of the Foreman strategy where it'll last on the farm without issue for 20+ years is long gone. People want the next best thing and the companies are providing it at a cost down the road. K.i.s.s is a thing of the past.
Crap man, lets just go back to carb motors and mechanical steering and emulsion shocks and incandescent bulbs.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep...no doubt the world is getting dumber (read the news and see!), an MFG's have to follow suit...but It just seems like CA makes an concerted effort to take the most complicated solution they can come up with.

Why not just add a simple lockable diff to the front, then implement a brake-lock setup like Honda. Will work 95% of the time (or better), and then for those nasty holes or rock gardens, just hit the button to lock the diff.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I like the looks of this new Can Am Trail machine with the V-twin. I bet it sounds good too. Honda's LE is quite an interesting piece of technology you will probably see more of.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Welp... that 50" can am looks good enough for me to overlook the difficulty of basic maintenance of canams, my dislike of belt drive, and my love of Honda. That machine is literally everything I wish my pioneer 500 could be. I want it. Bad.

There's just no reason honda couldn't make something just a tad sporty. If canam can make a high performance 50" machine, Honda could at least give theirs more horsepower than the typical lawnmower has these days...

As much as I love my P500, it's looking more and more like it's going to be replaced next year for something fast enough to break the speed limit in a school zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I guess I should have considered the price to play.... guessing these new canams will be between 15 and 19 grand. If it's double the price of the P5, then maybe I won't be so quick to trade up... but dang do those little canams look like fun. Seems the canam engineers were reading our forum the last couple years. They've really addressed every one of the p5's shortcomings (speed, comfort, ergos, suspension) and came out with (arguably) the best 50" buggy on the market.

C

Chooglin

I guess I should have considered the price to play.... guessing these new canams will be between 15 and 19 grand. If it's double the price of the P5, then maybe I won't be so quick to trade up... but dang do those little canams look like fun. Seems the canam engineers were reading our forum the last couple years. They've really addressed every one of the p5's shortcomings (speed, comfort, ergos, suspension) and came out with (arguably) the best 50" buggy on the market.

They start at $10,999

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
They start at $10,999

Wow. I have at least that much invested in my pioneer. Thanks for ruining my day!!! Lol. $11k is reasonable for that thing. But me being me, I'd have to buy the 1000

So they have pricing on the website now. Power steering and the 1000 engine puts it just under $15k

Sign me up...

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here's a review (if you want to call it that) from Dirt Trax...

I have to say...it looks better on their video than it does on the Can-Am vids. It also looks very bouncy. I'm not really in the market for one, but it's nice to have options.

It's also nice to see a big, shiny production about ATV's and SxS's like Dirt Trax, but I wonder sometimes if these guys are enthusiasts. They conveniently ignore that Honda does have a 50" machine, and their vids are rife with little gaffs like that.

Reactions: gullyjumper
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Here's a review (if you want to call it that) from Dirt Trax...

I have to say...it looks better on their video than it does on the Can-Am vids. It also looks very bouncy. I'm not really in the market for one, but it's nice to have options.

It's also nice to see a big, shiny production about ATV's and SxS's like Dirt Trax, but I wonder sometimes if these guys are enthusiasts. They conveniently ignore that Honda does have a 50" machine, and their vids are rife with little gaffs like that.

I've been eyeing this machine hard lately. I've seen all the videos and reviews and the specs blow the P5 away. Accessory availability is a mile long. Reliability is my only concern mainly because it's a first year release, may have some bugs to be worked out. Can Am is Rotax and Rotax is Ski Doo, been a Ski Doo guy since I was a teenager. If I could get 10k for Iron Sides, which would still be a 5k hit and maybe more, I'd seriously consider the move. Thought about going to test drive one but that would be a big mistake.

D

Deleted member 3748

Wow. I have at least that much invested in my pioneer. Thanks for ruining my day!!! Lol. $11k is reasonable for that thing. But me being me, I'd have to buy the 1000

So they have pricing on the website now. Power steering and the 1000 engine puts it just under $15k

Sign me up...

Such a roller coaster of emotions. :D

D

Deleted member 3748

I've been eyeing this machine hard lately. I've seen all the videos and reviews and the specs blow the P5 away. Accessory availability is a mile long. Reliability is my only concern mainly because it's a first year release, may have some bugs to be worked out. Can Am is Rotax and Rotax is Ski Doo, been a Ski Doo guy since I was a teenager. If I could get 10k for Iron Sides, which would still be a 5k hit and maybe more, I'd seriously consider the move. Thought about going to test drive one but that would be a big mistake.
Last week's Indian River group ride reminded me of something I dislike about the 50" machines. It's the ruts in the turns that are wider than 50". You try to pick the best line but half the time you end up in a turn with the inside wheels being higher than the outside. That s*** is stressful!

Reactions: trigger
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last week's Indian River group ride reminded me of something I dislike about the 50" machines. It's the ruts in the turns that are wider than 50". You try to pick the best line but half the time you end up in a turn with the inside wheels being higher than the outside. That s*** is stressful!

With 900cc 50” machines I don’t see a reason for the 50” limitation anymore.

I could see it when you had ATVs vs 60” SxS, but it has started to make less sense. Then the government will use the 50” width limitation they put in place to skew science on rollovers...

It would free manufactures up to make a smaller lineup of machines with better suspension. Instead of two lineups.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honestly, the 500 has never been impressive on the spec sheet...but are you saying you have $15K in the 500? I understand the accessory bug...but WOW! I have looked at the 500, and continue to do so. But...i can't see ever buying one new since I don't really "need" a 50" machine. I see them as low as $6000 (and probably lower) around here used, and that's mighty tempting.
With 900cc 50” machines I don’t see a reason for the 50” limitation anymore.

I could see it when you had ATVs vs 60” SxS, but it has started to make less sense. Then the government will use the 50” width limitation they put in place to skew science on rollovers...

It would free manufactures up to make a smaller lineup of machines with better suspension. Instead of two lineups.
Are you saying open up the trail width restrictions?
Seems like there are to competing sides with this: Those who really want nothing to do with 50" machines (like, I suspect, Yamaha) who would just as soon see them opened up. And then somebody like Polaris who makes tons of money from the 50" class who want it to go nowhere.

Maybe I'm mistaken...and maybe @CumminsPusher can chime in, but I'm thinking that Oregon or somewhere out there has actually rewritten the 50" law that prevents SxS's of any width from being on those trails? ATV's/Bikes only!

I keep joking that when i win the lotto, I'm going to open a park and prohibit Hiking!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honestly, the 500 has never been impressive on the spec sheet...but are you saying you have $15K in the 500? I understand the accessory bug...but WOW! I have looked at the 500, and continue to do so. But...i can't see ever buying one new since I don't really "need" a 50" machine. I see them as low as $6000 (and probably lower) around here used, and that's mighty tempting.
Are you saying open up the trail width restrictions?
Seems like there are to competing sides with this: Those who really want nothing to do with 50" machines (like, I suspect, Yamaha) who would just as soon see them opened up. And then somebody like Polaris who makes tons of money from the 50" class who want it to go nowhere.

Maybe I'm mistaken...and maybe @CumminsPusher can chime in, but I'm thinking that Oregon or somewhere out there has actually rewritten the 50" law that prevents SxS's of any width from being on those trails? ATV's/Bikes only!

I keep jokingsome bushwhacking involved. that when i win the lotto, I'm going to open a park and prohibit Hiking!
Not sure on Oregon but in Idaho, Washington around here there are 3 class trails really-jeep,Sxs/atv and dirtbike only. We get around all pretty good but there's some bushwhacking involved. I haven't seen and 50" only much

Reactions: DG Rider
B

BigBlockBobby

Oct 16, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Coming from a Can Am guy that owns two Outlander 1000's (XT) and (XMR) I can honestly say I hate the maverick trail. My wife and I test rode one on the course that was setup in Gilbert WV at trailfest. It is way cramped up on the inside and just about the worse riding thing I have ever been in. Very tippy as well. We both hated it. For a side by side we needed something that could haul more than 2 people and not be as long of a wheel base as most machines offered. We ended up buying a new Pioneer 1000-5 LE to work on our land and fun on the trails. I will also point out that there are two versions of the Visco Lok that can am uses. The QE version is the "quick engage" and a HUGE improvement over the standard one. I have never had problems with it on either of my outlander 1000's at all, they both use the "QE" version. It turns my 30-11-14 silverbacks with ease on my 1000XMR and on my 1000XT it works great for climbing and technical stuff. 55no8ki
22751408 10210534523987369 1787798105 o

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Coming from a Can Am guy that owns two Outlander 1000's (XT) and (XMR) I can honestly say I hate the maverick trail. My wife and I test rode one on the course that was setup in Gilbert WV at trailfest. It is way cramped up on the inside and just about the worse riding thing I have ever been in. Very tippy as well. We both hated it. For a side by side we needed something that could haul more than 2 people and not be as long of a wheel base as most machines offered. We ended up buying a new Pioneer 1000-5 LE to work on our land and fun on the trails. I will also point out that there are two versions of the Visco Lok that can am uses. The QE version is the "quick engage" and a HUGE improvement over the standard one. I have never had problems with it on either of my outlander 1000's at all, they both use the "QE" version. It turns my 30-11-14 silverbacks with ease on my 1000XMR and on my 1000XT it works great for climbing and technical stuff.View attachment 56713 View attachment 56712
Thanks for the feedback. By chance, have you driven any of the other 50" machines? Just wondering how it compares.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
but are you saying you have $15K in the 500? I understand the accessory bug...but WOW!

Total price from dealer with roof, bumpers, etc. was $9400. Plow and winch about 1k. Stereo, four extra speakers and a sub about 1k. Garmin Montana w/ wired RAM mount, about $12k already. EZ Steer, harnesses, rock sliders, A arm guards, wheels, tires, spare, Roto Pax, under seat second battery and jack, snorkel, lights, custom box/bed, skid plate, body panels, console...and more yet, it adds up! Just put spacers on today, $85, windshield in transit, $460...
I've never tallied it all up but it's probably more than $15k.

Reactions: Eltobgi

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!