Can-Am 50" SxS

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We went and looked at the Maverick trail1000 Friday, my wife liked the seats and the storage in cab,I knew she liked it when she got her phone out and took pictures, she wants doors but the 800 doesn't come with them or power steering as standard equipment, the doors are a $750.00 option ,when you add these it is close to the price of a 1000 priced at around $14500 with these on it. she told the salesman she wanted yellow, the one they have is red, he laughed and said he would call her next month when the yellow one comes in.I'm not going to hurry into another sxs without driving it first and seeing what people have to say about it after they bought one, although I was the first one to buy a 500 from the the local dealer,I think we will wait until next fall before we get serious about trading, see if they have some incentives at that time, they aren't doing much dealing on a new model yet, besides that my warranty goes until Sept. of next year on the 500 ,although I have never needed it anyway, that's what makes it hard to trade, we have 3500 miles on it and have done nothing but change oil and clean the air filter

Reactions: trigger
B

BigBlockBobby

Oct 16, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Thanks for the feedback. By chance, have you driven any of the other 50" machines? Just wondering how it compares.
Only for short test rides. I know the 50 inch machines fit a certain niche but I have no need for one. The bumpy ride inside of a small space with a short wheelbase is not my cup of tea.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Only for short test rides. I know the 50 inch machines fit a certain niche but I have no need for one. The bumpy ride inside of a small space with a short wheelbase is not my cup of tea.
That's what I was wondering. As you said, not really fair to compare any of them to bigger machines.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The only 50" I have experience in is a Rzr 570 trail LE the ride was plush. And it hauled tail even with a bigger person in it I weigh 375 the driver was maybe 120lbs I told her to floor it it didn't take long and we were doing 60mph through the woods in the middle of the night on a bumpy road, in the Honda on the same road was like riding a bucking horse. The owner told me without passengers she tops 65 this was a box stock machine it had me wanting one I couldn't justify the price and it fit on the front of my 7x16 trailer sideways and my Pioneer fit with it.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That's what is bothering me the most about the maverick, it has a really long wheelbase of 90"

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I envy that long wheelbase. That's longer than the new 4 seat Wolverine. And while it could be an occasional issue on really tight turns, when you are climbing a steep hill it is a literal life saver. And, when dropping off a ledge it means the difference between ending up on your top or your wheels.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One one way to have the perfect length for the terrain.

Adjustable wheelbase.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I envy that long wheelbase. That's longer than the new 4 seat Wolverine. And while it could be an occasional issue on really tight turns, when you are climbing a steep hill it is a literal life saver. And, when dropping off a ledge it means the difference between ending up on your top or your wheels.
1st video review I've seen that talks about this...

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
1st video review I've seen that talks about this...

Annnnnddddd, Honda loses another bazillion customers....... 70+ h.p. 1000cc. 50" wide. Guess BRP doesn't have lawyers (sick of that lame a$$ excuse) Did you notice the front diff lock in the vid? HONDA? Did you notice the REAL suspension travel-stock? HONDA? This is what I really wanted to buy from Honda. Love my P5, but that's what I want from Honda- with my real gear-box- not cvt. The trans is the only reason I haven't already bought another brand at this point.

Reactions: joeymt33
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Annnnnddddd, Honda loses another bazillion customers....... 70+ h.p. 1000cc. 50" wide. Guess BRP doesn't have lawyers (sick of that lame a$$ excuse) Did you notice the front diff lock in the vid? HONDA? Did you notice the REAL suspension travel-stock? HONDA? This is what I really wanted to buy from Honda. Love my P5, but that's what I want from Honda- with my real gear-box- not cvt. The trans is the only reason I haven't already bought another brand at this point.
Actually, it doesn't have a "locker". It has CA's visco-lock thingy who's effectiveness is dependent upon whom you ask. More like a good limited slip, which is more then the Honda has. You can buy a locker if the mav trail shares a front diff with other canned hams, which you also can't do with the 500...yet.

Reactions: JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Both systems will lose momentum and both would require 3 wheels spinning to work. Since the rear diff is locked, and the front is locked to the rear, then you'd absolutely have to spin both rear tires and one front tire for there to be any difference in wheel speed for either setup to engage. Both systems take a certain amount of time to engage

The Honda i4WD system works similarly to Jeep's own brake traction control that was introduced in the Wrangler in 2007 which they call BLD (brake-lock differential).
The sensitivity of wheel speed sensors and the speed of the computer response will determine how much time it takes to apply the brake to the wheel that lost traction and transfer power to the opposite wheel with traction, but it should work just fine at any speed or amount of throttle input if it's anything like the Jeep system.
Here's some good footage of the Jeep BLD in action:

It doesn't take and excessive amount of time to engage, but that's dependent on both the wheel speed sensors and the computer as to just how aggressive it can be.
Side note: One thing that I notice about guys that have driven open-diff Jeeps for years and then hop in a newer JK with open diffs and BLD, is they tend to let off the throttle as soon as they lose traction and don't give enough time for the system to do it's job. Smooth steady throttle and the system does it's thing and you start moving again.

The visco-lok style differential seems like it would take A LOT more throttle input to get it to engage and keep it engaged, since it relies on fluid pressure and clutch engagement to transfer torque. To me it's more similar to a clutch pack type limited slip, but instead of mechanical pressure to engage the clutches, it has to wait on hydraulic pressure generated my the difference in wheel speed to build up in order to engage the clutch pack.

Edit: I just looked at the PDF posted above, and the visco-lok is indeed called a LSD by definition. So there you have it.
My tundra has the brake grabby slippy wheel thing too- it sucks. Wet, or mud, or snow, or too much throttle, not enough throttle= no worky. Make it work too much, like trying to get unstuck- snow or mud, it will overheat the ABS pump and just stop working till it cools off, or try to merge into traffic on a wet day- forget it. I installed an Auburn cone clutch posi. That works. (my truck is 2wd) I've watched at least 20 vids of the BRP machines with the 'visco-crock' and it plainly, and clearly does not lock and stay locked during low traction conditions. If you do a lot of mudding, the brake grabby bs is continuously frying your brake pads trying to slow the low traction wheel(s). The $100K corvette uses the "electronically controlled locking diff" Watch some vids of those cars launching- one wheel going up in smoke. As far as an ATV, put a bloody locking diff in the damn thing, and stop letting new engineers show off their latest idea for reinventing the wheel. If you aren't capable of flipping a switch, or moving a shift lever to lock the diff, and knowing when and where to use it, you shouldn't be allowed to drive it. And the marketing a$$e$ should not be allowed to imply that their reinvented wheel will allow an amoeba to drive the bloody thing to the top of Everest-no skill required- the first time they get in the machine. Just my two cents worth. Venting complete

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
This is the "Locker" Can-Am now has...

I have to rant a bit here...

This is typical CanAm, and one reason why I have never been a big fan. Some companies have the K.I.S.S philosophy, while Can-am's is K.I.S.S.Q.R.E.T.T.E.< +10 more letters that stand for something WAY overly complicated>.

I have ideal....why not just make the f***ing "locker" lock and leave it at that (IE-Stupid Lok)? If your test riders are so terrified of that evil monster that is a locked front diff (as seems to be the case in the video), then just make EPS standard? Instead...6 sensors...another "module" for the locker, and 3 modes?

How about letting me push a button and having it lock, and forgoing the scrotum temp sensor or whatever? How about letting me decide based on terrain, and just carrying out my commands?

I'm sure it will work fine (and better than the Visolok thing), and I have no doubt that the aftermarket will quickly reprogram the "module" to simply lock the diff, but there was no need to reinvent the wheel here.

A simple question that CanAm provided the typical, stupidly overcomplicated answer to.:mad:
Is there a way to 'like' this 20x's? AMEN BROTHER!!!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I've been eyeing this machine hard lately. I've seen all the videos and reviews and the specs blow the P5 away. Accessory availability is a mile long. Reliability is my only concern mainly because it's a first year release, may have some bugs to be worked out. Can Am is Rotax and Rotax is Ski Doo, been a Ski Doo guy since I was a teenager. If I could get 10k for Iron Sides, which would still be a 5k hit and maybe more, I'd seriously consider the move. Thought about going to test drive one but that would be a big mistake.
Take a look at the cfmoto 50" trail. I'm very close to just getting one, but I just can't get past the cvt. I will never buy a brp product, so the canned ham is out of the question. If they made the cvt manually controlled, that would be really cool. Cool enough to live with belt maintenance.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!