P1000 Chop Top Club

THEdirtMAN

THEdirtMAN

Apr 3, 2017
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems as though cage chops are getting pretty popular. So let's help out some guys that may be on the fence and begin a thread with all Chop tops. 1000, 700, 500, don't matter. Be sure to include methods and amount cut. I'll go first

6 inch chop
Adjusted middle 2 roof brackets and rolled up/zip tied back window.

View attachment 21235 View attachment 21236

Oh man I love this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20170509 193227
new member here.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I guess I should join this club too. I actually joined about a month ago but I might as well make it official and post it here....

The red one is sitting on 30 inch tires and the stock three seater still has stock tires and stock suspension.
5ab399444609cef4b581ad23e9a2eb72

Last edited:
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just a question . Not judging because I do like the look of a Top Chop.
How does it affect the DOT approval on the ROPS?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a question . Not judging because I do like the look of a Top Chop.
How does it affect the DOT approval on the ROPS?

I'm guessing that it will be stronger for 2 reasons. 1st there's less leverage to fold being shorter pipe. Take a 6' stick of copper bends right in half by hand cut 10% off and it's noticeable in the difficulty to bend.

And number B: your welding in very strong pipe for sleeves so it's 100x's stronger down low.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm guessing that it will be stronger for 2 reasons. 1st there's less leverage to fold being shorter pipe. Take a 6' stick of copper bends right in half by hand cut 10% off and it's noticeable in the difficulty to bend.

And number B: your welding in very strong pipe for sleeves so it's 100x's stronger down low.

Devils advocate:
You may not want them to be stronger, may be designed to bend to absorb impact energy. Instead of transferring that energy into you.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Devils advocate:
You may not want them to be stronger, may be designed to bend to absorb impact energy. Instead of transferring that energy into you.
I'll agree to a degree with this because I saw aftermath of a damaged machine wreck at speed and no one got hurt. They are meant to be damaged to take g-force away from the occupants. With that said I'd rather one really tough if it was a big continuous roll. Everyone has their own opinion but that's mine.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I totally agree with you on that aspect but strength may not be the only consideration. I would just say be aware that the legal system may not have the same thoughts if something did happen.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I totally agree with you on that aspect but strength may not be the only consideration. I would just say be aware that the legal system may not have the same thoughts if something did happen.
That could be said about anything done to the Sxs other then factory accessories done by "trained" personnel at the dealership. Something as simple as larger tires or a lift kit that weren't designed for the rig by the factory and installed by yourself could influence a negative decision against someone.
Best plan of attack is to only let trusted people ride in or operate your vehicle. If done correctly I believe the strength of the cage will still be intact and no one is the wiser.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You want a roll cage as rigid as possible. More people get hurt from bars being broke off or it crushing down on you. The stock cage is ok for a low speed side flop or rollover but a high speed or multiple roll would be sketchy. I saw one that Moses did a custom cage for that rolled good. Not pretty. CP dented the crap out of his at RRB sliding against a rock. Definitely a good idea to sleeve inside the bars as much as possible to help keep them from denting or folding and new bars or beef up the center brace on the B pillar. The B pillar, main hoop over your head, is most important to keep strong.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You want a roll cage as rigid as possible. More people get hurt from bars being broke off or it crushing down on you. The stock cage is ok for a low speed side flop or rollover but a high speed or multiple roll would be sketchy. I saw one that Moses did a custom cage for that rolled good. Not pretty. CP dented the crap out of his at RRB sliding against a rock. Definitely a good idea to sleeve inside the bars as much as possible to help keep them from denting or folding and new bars or beef up the center brace on the B pillar. The B pillar, main hoop over your head, is most important to keep strong.
Exactly right. Why do you think these factory cages are not approved for racing!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll agree to a degree with this because I saw aftermath of a damaged machine wreck at speed and no one got hurt. They are meant to be damaged to take g-force away from the occupants. With that said I'd rather one really tough if it was a big continuous roll. Everyone has their own opinion but that's mine.

I don't build or design roll cages and I'm not a test engineer. Just posing the thought.

I think it depends on use, if you're gonna race the machine. Maybe you have better restraints and better safety gear and a rollcage, if not maybe the bendy ROPS is the next best thing?

No idea figure there's people smarter than me that can answer that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't build or design roll cages and I'm not a test engineer. Just posing the thought.

I think it depends on use, if you're gonna race the machine. Maybe you have better restraints and better safety gear and a rollcage, if not maybe the bendy ROPS is the next best thing?

There's a lot to factor in. Riding style type of terrain weight and lift. Each I can see an advantage. The lighter it is up top the less chance of roll but also means less strength. Thicker means more chance but your safer with a big hit. Many ways to look at it. I do see both sides but there are two sides. Normally speaking I don't do much high speed racing but slow speed crawling in bad area with a tip over could require a heavier cage. Still not sold on either being better all the time but I think I'm going to strengthen mine up a little after seeing a failure during my style of riding but that doesn't mean solid steel either lol.

Reactions: Shelly and pct
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's a lot to factor in. Riding style type of terrain weight and lift. Each I can see an advantage. The lighter it is up top the less chance of roll but also means less strength. Thicker means more chance but your safer with a big hit. Many ways to look at it. I do see both sides but there are two sides. Normally speaking I don't do much high speed racing but slow speed crawling in bad area with a tip over could require a heavier cage. Still not sold on either being better all the time but I think I'm going to strengthen mine up a little after seeing a failure during my style of riding but that doesn't mean solid steel either lol.
Need to build yours out of 20" I beams!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

Cars are designed to have crush zones to help protect the passengers and help absorb the G forces but that is only for a single hit. With a roll cage you could have multiple hits if your rolling down a hill. As soon as a bar kinks or bends you pretty much loose all the strength in that bar.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!