P1000 Cold weather motor oil

Cleo

Cleo

Oct 17, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi , new to the club

As cold weather is approaching and for the last few season my SXS P-3 LE is having problems starting in cold weather ( -30 C) it makes a noise like the starter is not turning and then after a few seconds it will turn. I was told to put in 0W-30 oil for the winter months, As anyone tried this and will changing the oil resolve my issue. the machine is always park in the garage (heated) this occurs when I go out ice fishing or to the camp where it is always outside.

Thanks

Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from North Alabama. I don’t know much about winter month oil for Pioneer. You’re definitely in a much colder climate than I. I like your set-up though. Looks good.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Per the owner's manual, if you're rocking it down to -30C, you should be running 0W/30. You CAN keep running it in the summer, but 10W/30 is recommended from -10C and above. Personally, I'd run the 0W/30 only in the cold winter months, then switch out in the spring.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
^^^^^ Exactly what @Scoop said. I'm in BC and run 10/30 yr round but mine is never parked outside in winter and we hardly ever get that cold where I am.

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
Cleo

Cleo

Oct 17, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the info, I decided to put 0W/30 as recommended by Honda, and so far starts without problems in the cold weather.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I changed over to synthetic and everything seems better, although I see slightly higher oil consumption

advertisement
Trevan

Trevan

Sep 1, 2019
Milton, ON. Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Locally I have only found 0W40 from AMSOIL. When I had my tracks put on in December by the dealer a few years they did an oil change and used 10w40 oil and of course I did not pay attention! Headed into the camp with a one year old machine, fresh battery and would not turn over at -25C or -13F. With the new grade of oil it will start but as previously mentioned a "full" battery is essential when extremely cold. It is unusual for us to have much below -30c/-22F so time will tell how far below that I'm good for.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure most know this, as it's common knowledge, but for any newbies looking at motor oil choices:

The P1000 has "wet" clutches (i.e. bathed in the motor oil), therefore it *must* use oil that doesn't have the friction modifiers that are common in oils designed for most cars etc. The correct oil will typically be designed for motorcycles that also have wet clutches. Mobil 1 4T is one example.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure most know this, as it's common knowledge, but for any newbies looking at motor oil choices:

The P1000 has "wet" clutches (i.e. bathed in the motor oil), therefore it *must* use oil that doesn't have the friction modifiers that are common in oils designed for most cars etc. The correct oil will typically be designed for motorcycles that also have wet clutches. Mobil 1 4T is one example.
Ive seen that some use Rottela T6 5w-40 for diesel engine I think. Anyone here has experience with it?

Reactions: Lady01
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With all the negative temperatures in this thread, and as I feebly dread 2 degrees F tomorrow, was wondering if anyone knows of a good online sauna enthusiast site? Might not come back here 'til June.

• Haha
Reactions: solrus and Lady01
Z

zandroid

Jan 12, 2019
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ive seen that some use Rottela T6 5w-40 for diesel engine I think. Anyone here has experience with it?
Yes, I have done two oil changes and and a sub-transmission oil change with Rotella T6 5w-40. No issues. It meets the JASO standard required by Honda. I put less than 1000 miles on mine a year, so I just do an annual oil change. I will be doing an oil change and sub-transmission oil change in the next few weeks with Rotella. I am in a mild/warm climate. It's a reasonably priced synthetic. I know other members have good luck with Mobil 4T and of course the Honda Synthetic, but both are more expensive.

I posted about the first oil change I did with Rotella T6 in this thread.

I did my first oil change after the break-in period with Honda standard oil.

Reactions: Lady01