P1000 Confused as to which Amsoil Oil

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Just use Mobile One 4t racing oil. That's what I use.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That doesn't make any sense. Every other UTV on the market has a split engine/trans/clutch, so the oil would basically be the same as a car. The Pioneer has a single engine case for the engine and trans (plus a little case for the subtrans) and they share oil, which I would assume would mean that the oil needs to be the kind that works with clutches...

Regardless Honda still calls for a 10-30 oil. Amsoil UTV is a 10-30 oil. It's a wet clutch oil so should be fine

Last edited:
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Regardless Honda still calls for a 10-30 oil. Amsoil UTV is a 10-30 oil. It's a wet clutch oil so should be fine

OK, well now even I am a little upset and confused!!! Amsoil UTV is a 10-40. Honda calls for a 10-30. I went ahead and placed an order for a case and it has already shipped based upon my Amsoil rep telling me it was good to go...

So now I am not sure what to do!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have saved a lot of time by buying Honda oil. I don't have to worry about performance issues, warranty claims, also I haven't spent time talking on the phone trying to figure out what's best.

I know that amsoil is a good product and superior to most other oils. I've just always been a standard oil type of guy and over the years of my life I've not had a lubrication failure and I've saved a lot of money. Also, @JACKAL switched to synthetic oil and then had a clutch failure. It's probably a coincidence? There are lots of people that are using high dollar oil and it does make a small difference in performance and it will give better protection if you choose to have long service intervals.

You may want to read a little bit more about motor oil, here's something I posted a while back.

Oil education

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok. Here goes everyone. Believe it or not...

Just spent 20 mins on the phone with Amsoil Tech Support. We argued heatedly.

He says the Amsoil UTV 10-40 is absolutely perfectly fine for the Pioneer 1000 even though Honda calls for a 10-30, not a 10-40. He says they have the FULL BACKING OF HONDA CORP and that even Honda says the 10-40 is fine..

Now, I argued that the manual and all literature says 10-30. He still insisted Amsoil has the full backing of Honda for a 10-40 Amsoil UTV oil and I am good to go.

I questioned where this was WRITTEN. As under the Amsoil site it says under the Honda Pioneer 1000 "NO RECCOMENDED LUBRICANTS" He says website hasn't been updated yet and Amsoil will fix my motor if anything goes wrong with it (yeah, RIGHT!)

Have to say, being an Amsoil man, I am seriously doubting this information.

Any input out there???

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone noticed a misprint in owners manual? In the quick reference quide
far back manual says:

6.8 quarts(5.75 l) with engine oil and filter

6.1 quarts (5.8l)with engine oil and filter AND DCT filter?

How can it be LESS OIL for an extra filter change? The liters increased but not the quarts

5.75 l is 6 quarts not 6.8 it's 6.08

B

BrianE20

Mar 17, 2016
MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. Here goes everyone. Believe it or not...

Just spent 20 mins on the phone with Amsoil Tech Support. We argued heatedly.

He says the Amsoil UTV 10-40 is absolutely perfectly fine for the Pioneer 1000 even though Honda calls for a 10-30, not a 10-40. He says they have the FULL BACKING OF HONDA CORP and that even Honda says the 10-40 is fine..

Now, I argued that the manual and all literature says 10-30. He still insisted Amsoil has the full backing of Honda for a 10-40 Amsoil UTV oil and I am good to go.

I questioned where this was WRITTEN. As under the Amsoil site it says under the Honda Pioneer 1000 "NO RECCOMENDED LUBRICANTS" He says website hasn't been updated yet and Amsoil will fix my motor if anything goes wrong with it (yeah, RIGHT!)

Have to say, being an Amsoil man, I am seriously doubting this information.

Any input out there???
So are you ready to be even more confused?
When I emailed Amsoil directly I got two different replies. The first one said to use the 10w 30 motorcycle oil. The second said to use 0w 40 utv. Neither said to use the 10w 40 atv utv oil. Go figure that one out. So I called them and I got a different guy and he said to use the 10w 30 motorcycle oil. I asked him if it would be ok to use the 10w40 utv oil he said it should be fine but he recommended the 10w 30 motorcycle and that's what I got.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would use 10w30 motorcycle oil.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So are you ready to be even more confused?
When I emailed Amsoil directly I got two different replies. The first one said to use the 10w 30 motorcycle oil. The second said to use 0w 40 utv. Neither said to use the 10w 40 atv utv oil. Go figure that one out. So I called them and I got a different guy and he said to use the 10w 30 motorcycle oil. I asked him if it would be ok to use the 10w40 utv oil he said it should be fine but he recommended the 10w 30 motorcycle and that's what I got.

My rep absolutely guarantees me that the 1040 is fine. One thing is for sure, Amsoil is looking like idiots and they need to have a meeting and come up with one, clear, concise answer to what they freaking recommend for the 1000.

When you get that many different replies, what you are now getting is opinion not fact. I'm not going to put oil in a $23,000 vehicle based on someone else's opinion..

The Honda manual does say 10-30, but on the next page it shows a chart and 10-40 is shown as an accepted oil. Based upon that, I'm going to go ahead and use the Amsoil UTV 10-40.

Conversely, my rep is saying tech-support is recommending the motorcycle oil because it is the only oil available and 10-30.

B

Bobman13

Jan 30, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
10-40 is fine I'm currently running it and in amsoil there oils are great. Once I put a few miles on my machine it idled smoother and shifting is quieter and very smooth, Just did some hot days here in Utah, everything to some little more extreme than I was comfortable rock crawling,'with but machine was confidence building', followed by 45 miles of flat out running, oil still looks amazing and machine I've got a bit better Milage. So what I'm saying you take a risk either way but it's a comfortable risk that I'm personally ok with.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well you two guys are absolutely confusing the heck out of me then. Because I have read more articles that I can count that absolutely promote synthetic oil,
most Amsoil, in the 1000?

I'm just going to write this off to everybody has their own preference. Me? I am a synthetic man :)

Stick with the Honda GN4 oil in the Pioneer 1000, its what it was designed to use and ran in it during manufacturer testing, no need to risk running anything with too much moly, that is a death sentence to a wet clutch. But it's your money do what you wish to your machine.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Stick with the Honda GN4 oil in the Pioneer 1000, its what it was designed to use and ran in it during manufacturer testing, no need to risk running anything with too much moly, that is a death sentence to a wet clutch. But it's your money do what you wish to your machine.

I'm just going to stick with synthetic. I was stuck on Dino oil for years and was probably one of the last ones to convert over. Very hardheaded in my ways and dino has always worked fine and I was meticulous about changing it every 3000 anyway.

When I research something I do it until I'm dead. My researched showed over and over and over and yet over again, synthetic was just superior in all possible ways.

I converted and once I did I have never looked back :) I like the idea of a 1040 oil anyway for better protection.

Amsoil UTV 10-40 is wet clutch approved so I don't see any negatives to using it, only benefits.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm just going to stick with synthetic. I was stuck on Dino oil for years and was probably one of the last ones to convert over. Very hardheaded in my ways and dino has always worked fine and I was meticulous about changing it every 3000 anyway.

When I research something I do it until I'm dead. My researched showed over and over and over and yet over again, synthetic was just superior in all possible ways.

I converted and once I did I have never looked back :) I like the idea of a 1040 oil anyway for better protection.

Amsoil UTV 10-40 is wet clutch approved so I don't see any negatives to using it, only benefits.

Truth of the matter is simply this. Probably none of us are going to have any problems running any oil we pick, as long as it's not 3 in 1 oil.

Frequency of changes, how well we pamper our machines and things like that are infinitely more important than the type oil.

But one thing I have learned. Manufacturers make money off of selling their own products and Honda is going to push their oil. But Honda doesn't make their oil, and it's made by one of the many companies and simply rebranded Honds.

Every company promotes their own lubricants. But doesn't really mean it's the best :)

Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
Fwiw
Chances are the powersports oils are also included in this contract.

May 2016

Phillips 66 Lubricants last Thursday announced that it has signed an agreement to continue supplying service-fill lubricants for the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. through 2019. Phillips 66 Lubricants will remain the exclusive provider for most Honda and Acura branded engine oil, lubricants and other vital fluids to dealers throughout the U.S.

0c3a8d4a b803 45f6 ab2f cee016898ca5 zpsafhhgnil

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
According to the owners manual, the P1K requires oil with API service rating SG or higher and JASO T903 standard MA. (so MA1 or MA2 are also good)
I hate to tell you but the Asmoil website does NOT list those certifications for their ATV oils but it does list them for the motorcycle oils - at least the ones I looked at.

Give those guys who answer the phones a break - they're doing the best they can with the training they received (usually not much).

Last edited:
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
According to the owners manual, the P1K requires oil with API service rating SG or higher and JASO T903 standard MA. (so MA1 or MA2 are also good)
I hate to tell you but the Asmoil website does list those certifications for their ATV oils but it does list them for the motorcycle oils - at least the ones I looked at.

Give those guys who answer the phones a break - they're doing the best they can with the training they received (usually not much).

I had that same inquiry because it wasnt listed on the website, so I called. I suspected it was MA1 approved and was just left off for one reason or another, as most UTV's require MA1 or MA2 and was curious as to why they didn't list it if they said it was an approved UTV.

And according to Amsoil, which now a days because of multiple answers to the same question, I'm not feeling all warm inside about, the UTV oil is MA1 certified.

If you think about it, it would almost have to be. Seeing as they all call for a MA1 and Amsoil says they sell a UTV oil, it just goes together.

Why on earth they don't list that I am not sure.

Actually Amsoil called me a couple days ago because I wrote them an email concerned that they were giving out multiple answers to the same question and he was going to try to shed some light on that but I just haven't got around to calling back yet.

But if he says anything worthy of posting I will share it

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hate to tell you but the Asmoil website does list those certifications for their ATV oils but it does list them for the motorcycle oils - at least the ones I looked at.

I think you had a typo also, I think you meant to say doesn't :)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!