Control arm mounts bent

W

Washout92

Jul 27, 2020
Alberta
Ownership

1. Talon X
His Driver side lower A-arm snapped in half and it bent the upper pretty good. His upper bushing were seized in the arm.
Lower tabs were noticeably bent back and we've straightened them out enough for this next race, he plans on going further to straighten them after this round.

How did he bend the tabs? Pulling?

W

Washout92

Jul 27, 2020
Alberta
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well Honda looked at it and determined the tabs and control arms are bent (obviously) but said that the tubular frame has a ripple in it (similar to a frost heave) that is the main concern. The ripple is .5-1" out of spec on the frame. going to put a new frame in as he said if i drive it as is that my warranty (unlimited KM) will be affected if i ride it with a frame issue.

Friggen bummer as that means my summer season is over.

Will be at least installing the SATV frame stiffener asap

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ordered a Super ATV frame stiffener kit today. I was going to build something myself, but with the limited amount of time I have until the new racing season starts I can't afford to waste any more.

Hopefully I made the right choice

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I had the same issue after launching in to a tree. The tabs were considered part of the frame and it was replaced. Also had ripples in the flat metal skid plate under/ behind the front dif. Replaced the frame, and right hub, a arms, axle, front dif, skid plates, bumper . 14K including labor. I was surprised it wasn’t totaled. I had to open a claim with American Honda Motorsports to force an escalation to pull a frame from the assembly line. Honda initially gave my dealer a 1-2 month lead time for delivery. After the escalation it was at the shop in a couple days.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
All the pics I have seen show that rearward forces bend the tabs back, not up. I believe some small triangular gussets welded in just above and below the bolt (with just enough room for a socket) would be the most effective way to stop the most common bending. Something like this...

View attachment 216022

16 of these little beauties would go a long way in strengthening the lower mounting tabs, BUT be careful that you get the width exactly correct. Or possibly just do the back side and let the front float so you still get a "pinch" when you tighten the bolts.
Too bad that bracket isn’t just a heavier (thicker) grade of steel......

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
59A62F2C 9247 4112 B859 5C8AA62395EB
086E05BB 6312 42B6 B3EF 6ABB3259F5A7
I ordered a Super ATV frame stiffener kit today. I was going to build something myself, but with the limited amount of time I have until the new racing season starts I can't afford to waste any more.

Hopefully I made the right choice

After installing mine I believe it will save any bending.

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryH
W

Washout92

Jul 27, 2020
Alberta
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had the same issue after launching in to a tree. The tabs were considered part of the frame and it was replaced. Also had ripples in the flat metal skid plate under/ behind the front dif. Replaced the frame, and right hub, a arms, axle, front dif, skid plates, bumper . 14K including labor. I was surprised it wasn’t totaled. I had to open a claim with American Honda Motorsports to force an escalation to pull a frame from the assembly line. Honda initially gave my dealer a 1-2 month lead time for delivery. After the escalation it was at the shop in a couple days.

They actually so happened to have a frame in Calgary because Honda sent an extra 2 months back lol so I guess I'm lucky. Just have to wait on satv control arms due to this covid thing making satv parts back ordered here in Canada

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!