P500 Cooking deer meat

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
So everyone has their own way of cooking meat. I mean it is apart of man law to cook your own meat. I just prefer to kill, clean, butcher and cook my own meat. What everyone's favorite way of cooking deer meat. Or for the people who don't hunt cooking your favorite meat. Here is mine. I love cooking a whole front shoulder of a deer. I take it and inject it with butter garlic salt and all kinds of other goodies. I use wellinghams rub, commonly referred to as whams, with brown sugar. Smoke it at 220 for an hour to an hour and a half. Then take it wrap it up in foil with a little dr. Pepper and some more wellinghams. Cook it in the over for 3 more hours at 250. Man oh man is it good. I'd take it over deer steaks any day.

Image Image

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks amazing. I like to do mine like a stew, put a good size deer roast In the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, cabbage and some home made stock. Let it cook allllllll day.

Reactions: Remington and sharp
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
So everyone has their own way of cooking meat. I mean it is apart of man law to cook your own meat. I just prefer to kill, clean, butcher and cook my own meat. What everyone's favorite way of cooking deer meat. Or for the people who don't hunt cooking your favorite meat. Here is mine. I love cooking a whole front shoulder of a deer. I take it and inject it with butter garlic salt and all kinds of other goodies. I use wellinghams rub, commonly referred to as whams, with brown sugar. Smoke it at 220 for an hour to an hour and a half. Then take it wrap it up in foil with a little dr. Pepper and some more wellinghams. Cook it in the over for 3 more hours at 250. Man oh man is it good. I'd take it over deer steaks any day.

View attachment 22830 View attachment 22831
Just got ourselves a smoker last Christmas, may just have to try this. assuming deer season is good this year anyways..

Reactions: sharp
Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I have a Trager pellet smoker and use it a lot. I just made about 30 lbs of caribou sausage today. About half of it is going on the smoker tomorrow for about 3-4 hours. I did a mild and spicy italian and a maple breakfast sausage this time around. When I lived in NC I'd the same with venison.
But my all time favorite for any game meat is to take 2 cups of Yoshida's sauce, 2 TBS of fresh garlic, a piece of fresh ginger about an inch long finely grated, 1 TBS crushed red pepper, 1 fresh orange juiced. Mix all of the ingredients together place your steaks or ribs in a bowl pour the mix over it and marinade for about 3-5 hours depending on thickness. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper then grill over a cherry, Apple, or your favorite smoking wood to the desired tempature. First time I did this was with fresh Dall Sheep back strap in guide camp for a client that was a big name chef; he claims it was the best steak he has ever had.... I think it's just cause we had just finished a sheep hunt and put about 15 miles on the shoe leather that day.

Reactions: rocmar and sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 22830 View attachment 22831
Hell yeah, anything you can do to get rid of that gamey taste.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I take the backstrap and make poppers like this....
Pound out the meat with a tenderiser, insert a fresh jalepeno stuffed with a garlic button and an onion wedge, then wrap in thick cut bacon and smoke it for 5 hours over hickory at 180 degrees!!

Last edited:
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like to slice my backstraps about 1/4 in think roll in egg then Louisiana chicken fry mix and deep fry to golden brown. Mmmm mmm...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I like to slice my backstraps about 1/4 in think roll in egg then Louisiana chicken fry mix and deep fry to golden brown. Mmmm mmm...

Slicing the backstraps thin, we call those fly steaks. Don't need to do much to those, fry in butter with some onions, done!
You guys mix your burger with pork down there too? Venison burger is too lean, need to add fat.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Slicing the backstraps thin, we call those fly steaks. Don't need to do much to those, fry in butter with some onions, done!
You guys mix your burger with pork down there too? Venison burger is too lean, need to add fat.
Absolutely, can't get them to even hold together and flip on the grill without breaking apart without it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
All this talks making me want to go kindle a fire in the smoker, lol.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Don't know if anyone has a trick here for making venison ribs? Had them once, stunk terrible when cooking and tasted just as bad. Even smothered in sauce. Too much tallow, real gamey!

Reactions: rocmar
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Image Kinda funny, I'm holding up deer meat by the grill with deer in the background, might be hard to see the deer. Lol

Reactions: 500oneer
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Roll a whole backstrap in 3/4 dry sherry, 1/4 sesame oil mixture.
Roll it in dry mustard
Roll again in dry sherry / oil mixture.
Salt and pepper.

Cook all sides over a very hot charcoal fire with some wood smoke - pecan is nice.

You want it dark on the outside and rare in the middle.
Let it sit for a few minutes. Slice thinly and pour the juice over top.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
For some of those lousy bits (calves etc), chop into chunks and can it with a jalapeno in each jar. The gristle melts into jelly.
You can use it for all kinds of things. Smear the tender meat and jelly into a sandwich, eat it out the jar on a camping trip, add it to a boring pasta....

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow. Those all sound really good. I usually don't get to fancy with my veni. Call me simple old school. I love to just cut nice little steaks and cook with butter,salt and pepper. If it's straps I slow cook in the oven or on the grille. But nothing beats taking the inside loins when you field dress the deer and frying them up that day!!!!!!!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
This is my wifes venison stew that we're eating now - so much better than domesticated meat.
IMG 3260
But her chilli is amazing !!!
We pride ourselves on the food that we collect, grow, harvest and prepare.
Ever tried moose cabbage rolls with home grown, fermented cabbage?
Homer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!