Reactions: AlR and sharp
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I cheat and take it to the processor after I gut it.. but I usually have them make around 5 sticks of jalapeno cheddar summer sausage, whatever they can tenderize I have cut up to fry, and the hamburger gets 0 fat mixed in and I use it to mix half/half with regular beef hamburger in all my chilis, pizzas, burgers, etc.

I also use the steaks and loin pieces to use for deer poppers when I make duck poppers. Marinate in wishbone Italian dressing, add some cream cheese and a jalapeno to to meat, wrap it in bacon, stick a toothpick in it and throw it on the grill. They are my favorite for both deer and duck because who doesn't like bacon.

Reactions: GlockMeister
I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
As most hunters know, the best way to avoid gamey meat is a clean and quick kill, field dress and get the hide off as quickly as possible and get the meat cooled down. Being in the southwest, that's extremely important. If I'm grilling steaks, I marinate in milk with a dash of vinegar. Haven't had gamey venison in years following this practice. Of course, if it's a pissy, old rutty bull elk, my dogs get that.

Reactions: jawquin
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I follow the same rule as above. I process it immediately and get it on ice. The only way I differ is I keep it in an ice chest full of ice water for 4 days. I drain the ice every day and on the fourth day the ice is usually clear. It seems like to me that draining it like that removes the gamey flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jawquin and sharp
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Slicing the backstraps thin, we call those fly steaks. Don't need to do much to those, fry in butter with some onions, done!
You guys mix your burger with pork down there too? Venison burger is too lean, need to add fat.

Must be a michigan thing butterfly stakes! And add fat to the burger yes indeed!
At deer camp, the rule is first deer killed, the inside backs traps are taken out (still warm) sliced and cooked in butter and onions! Um Um!!!

Quote from native Michigander Uncle Tedly Steadly: "There's blood on the forest floor! The beast is dead forever more! Long live the beast!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
For starters, I've been very blessed that the women in my life (wife and daughter) will eat or at least try anything I bring home, and we all like our meat "Texas Blue - Blood red and cold" (although I like it rarer than my wife).
I like to process my own deer, that way I know I’m getting my deer, and processed the way I like it.
When I lived in Michigan I could usually count on the weather to hang deer in garage for 1 to 2 weeks after skinning and removing backstraps.
Backstraps eaten that evening and the next.
Vacuum pack everything that goes into freezer.
Boned everything out, cut each loin into 3 pieces, Cut rear legs into steaks – Grill these very rare with a little salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
Another way I do steaks and sometimes heart is to pound thin and prepare as Jaeger Schnitzel.
Front shoulder and thickest neck, Some steaks from shoulder but usually corned (like corned beef)
Smaller neck sections for stew, soup, and sausage.
Heart is excellent smoked, and then thin sliced cold with cheese and crackers.
Liver is very good either grilled rare, sautéed with bacon and onions, or I’ve done an awesome Venison Liver Pâté several times [see below]. (I always got extra hearts and livers because the guy I hunted with would never try it – His loss, My gain)
Larger trim for stew meat.
Next larger trim for grind, we don’t like to add anything to our grind, personal preferance.
Less desirable trim for sausage.
Large bones – Cracked and simmered in water with root veggies, peppercorns and garlic for venison stock, I usually simmer for 6 hours, let sit overnight, remove scum that surfaces overnight and re-simmer again for another 4 to 6 hours before running through a sieve and freeze in quart bottles.

Liver Pâté
Ingredients:
1 lb – Liver, 1 Cup – Whole Milk, 1/2 Cup - Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces, 1 Tbsp - Olive Oil, 1 Cup - Onion, chopped, 2 Cloves - Garlic, minced, 2 Bay Leaves, 1/2 tsp - Dried Thyme, 1/2 tsp – Salt, 1/2 tsp - Black Pepper, freshly ground, 1/4 Cup – Brandy, Cream
Preparation:
Soak liver in milk 2 to 3 hours in refrigerator, Drain well, In large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter and 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat, Add onions and cook until soft (about 3 minutes), Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute), Add liver, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté until liver is browned on outside and slightly pink inside (about 5 minutes),
Add brandy and flambé, cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated, Discard the bay leaves and cool slightly, Purée liver mixture alternating with butter through a food processor - if pate is too thick or stiff add a little cream, Adjust seasoning if needed, Pack pate into a mold sprayed with cooking spray, Refrigerate until firm (at least 6-hours), Unmold on bed of lettuce and serve

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
For starters, I've been very blessed that the women in my life (wife and daughter) will eat or at least try anything I bring home, and we all like our meat "Texas Blue - Blood red and cold" (although I like it rarer than my wife).
I like to process my own deer, that way I know I’m getting my deer, and processed the way I like it.
When I lived in Michigan I could usually count on the weather to hang deer in garage for 1 to 2 weeks after skinning and removing backstraps.
Boned everything out, cut each loin into 3 pieces, Cut rear legs into steaks – Grill these very rare with a little salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
Another way I do steaks and sometimes heart is to pound thin and prepare as Jaeger Schnitzel.
Front shoulder and thickest neck, Some steaks from shoulder but usually corned (like corned beef)
Liver is very good either grilled rare, sautéed with bacon and onions, or I’ve done an awesome Venison Liver Pâté several times [see below]. (I always got extra hearts and livers because the guy I hunted with would never try it – His loss, My gain)
Next larger trim for grind, we don’t like to add anything to our grind, personal preferance.
Large bones – Cracked and simmered in water with root veggies, peppercorns and garlic for venison stock, I usually simmer for 6 hours, let sit overnight, remove scum that surfaces overnight and re-simmer again for another 4 to 6 hours before running through a sieve and freeze in quart bottles.

Liver Pâté
Ingredients:
1 lb – Liver, 1 Cup – Whole Milk, 1/2 Cup - Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces, 1 Tbsp - Olive Oil, 1 Cup - Onion, chopped, 2 Cloves - Garlic, minced, 2 Bay Leaves, 1/2 tsp - Dried Thyme, 1/2 tsp – Salt, 1/2 tsp - Black Pepper, freshly ground, 1/4 Cup – Brandy, Cream
Preparation:
Soak liver in milk 2 to 3 hours in refrigerator, Drain well, In large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter and 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat, Add onions and cook until soft (about 3 minutes), Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute), Add liver, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté until liver is browned on outside and slightly pink inside (about 5 minutes),
Add brandy and flambé, cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated, Discard the bay leaves and cool slightly, Purée liver mixture alternating with butter through a food processor - if pate is too thick or stiff add a little cream, Adjust seasoning if needed, Pack pate into a mold sprayed with cooking spray, Refrigerate until firm (at least 6-hours), Unmold on bed of lettuce and serve
I'm hungry!

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Liver Pâté
Ingredients:
Preparation:
Now that's utilizing the whole deer!!! Great job man!! It all sounds really good....well, maybe not the heart or liver for me though. Lol.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Now that's utilizing the whole deer!!! Great job man!! It all sounds really good....well, maybe not the heart or liver for me though. Lol.
That's why I get extra heart and liver every year...Give it a try it's not "awful" it's "offal" (HAHA) :rolleyes: - sorry about that. Kidneys aren't bad either but you have to boil the piss out of them (oh stop). Actually, venison steak and kidney pie is quite good, but I don't rank it as highly as heart and liver.

Reactions: Upstatefreedom

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!