P1000 Cooper Bussman Extremely Detailed Build Tutorial

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Guys,

First post here on the forum. I just picked up a 2017 1000-5 and have been reading everything I can get my hands on here. To say this forum is packed with an incredible amount of excellent information and knowledgable people would be a massive understatement. My first mod will be the dual battery setup and a Cooper Bussman power distribution panel. I got lucky and stumbled across an invaluable 6 part build guide for the Cooper Bussman from the ground up. Everything from part numbers to tools needed is listed. I'm going to tackle it myself and follow everything in the guide step by step. If it turns out half as clean as the finished product in this tutorial I'll be happy. The guy that put this thing together is an electrical artist has some serious skills..........

For anyone using the Cooper Bussman setup here's the link to the 6 part tutorial:

DIY Bussmann RTMR Fuse Block, Part 1 – Introduction | Bodenzord

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Guys,

First post here on the forum. I just picked up a 2017 1000-5 and have been reading everything I can get my hands on here. To say this forum is packed with an incredible amount of excellent information and knowledgable people would be a massive understatement. My first mod will be the dual battery setup and a Cooper Bussman power distribution panel. I got lucky and stumbled across an invaluable 6 part build guide for the Cooper Bussman from the ground up. Everything from part numbers to tools needed is listed. I'm going to tackle it myself and follow everything in the guide step by step. If it turns out half as clean as the finished product in this tutorial I'll be happy. The guy that put this thing together is an electrical artist has some serious skills..........

For anyone using the Cooper Bussman setup here's the link to the 6 part tutorial:

Welcome from Alaska! I didn't read through the whole thing, but it looks very detailed. I already have a pre-built one installed that I bought on eBay. Depending on the cost and time involved I might consider doing this if I need another one in the future. Good post!

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Alaska! I didn't read through the whole thing, but it looks very detailed. I already have a pre-built one installed that I bought on eBay. Depending on the cost and time involved I might consider doing this if I need another one in the future. Good post!

Thanks AKRider! I'm looking forward to powering lots of accessories off of that thing. I noticed several of the stores he recommends buying the parts from are also mentioned by you guys here. OTRATTW comes up lots it seems. It looks like a small piece of .190 aluminum sheet or plexiglass and a good location to solidly mount it is all I need to start. I'll get the machine shop in town to cut out the template on their water jet.

Reactions: AKRider
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Great write up! And Welcome to the forum @SikorskyGramps given your screen name and being in BC, you a COMOX guy?

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No Sir :)

Up in Castlegar in the West Kootenays. I spent almost 40 years flying offshore oil and gas all over the world. Been retired for two years now and loving it. Really looking forward to building up this 17' 1K5!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Wait...
Did you say 2017,1000!
Is he the first we know of? Maybe!
Which one did you get? LE?
Sorry. Didn't mean to redirect this post.

Back on topic.
I looked into building mine for the 700. But then I just bought one prebuilt. Simple and worked great.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@SikorskyGramps Remember, we love pictures. You gotta show off that ride!

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wait...
Did you say 2017,1000!
Is he the first we know of? Maybe!
Which one did you get? LE?
Sorry. Didn't mean to redirect this post.

Back on topic.
I looked into building mine for the 700. But then I just bought one prebuilt. Simple and worked great.

No sweat on the questions.....

It's a 2017 Pioneer 1000-5. It's the lowest trim level for 2017 same as the 2016 "Base" I believe. The dealership said there were a few changes to the rpm shift points on the DCT and the winch wiring harness. I ordered it with the Warn Vantage 4500 and the factory roof. I've got a long wish list for the machine over the months to come. I still don't have the machine in my garage :( With some luck it'll be ready for pickup on the 18th of this month. The dealership is bring in 4 units this February that have already been paid for and another 6 the following month. I hope the changes to the shift points help some of the clutch issues I've read about.....

Reactions: chadbo and AKRider
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Alberta. yeah another Canadian, now we can start a thread about Trudeau!!.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Texas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from SE Missouri!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi Guys,

First welcome! Next 1st mod should be a skid plate and a arm guards if you have rocks

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
@SikorskyGramps right on! Been through there a few times going to Nelson and up towards Banff and Jasper. Beautiful area! We def need some riding pics when you take delivery!

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First welcome! Next 1st mod should be a skid plate and a arm guards if you have rocks

Check Smitty 335

I've ordered the Trail Armor UHMW bottom. Do you recommend the matching A-Arm guards or aluminum? The CV boot coverage doesn't seem to be as good with the Trail Armor.

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@SikorskyGramps right on! Been through there a few times going to Nelson and up towards Banff and Jasper. Beautiful area! We def need some riding pics when you take delivery!

You bet on the pictures this Spring. I've got a few trips planned already with my Son, Grandson and Daughter inlaw this Spring & Summer. They ride a 16' Rubicon DCT, 09' CRF450R and a 15' CRF125F so we should all be representing Honda we'll. I'll be the mule in the Pioneer packing in the camp :) We still have almost 4 feet of snow on the front lawn so it'll be a while yet before I can get out. At least the temperatures have warmed up some to just below freezing right now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!