CVT questions

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This may not be the place for this question but I'll give it a try. Along with owning a 17 1000-5 deluxe, we bought a 2020 KRX 1000. My question is about the CVT/gearing. To me, this KRX is geared too low. We do a lot of gravel road cruising. RPM at 30 is 5800 and 40 is 6500. This is where my cvt question comes in, is there a way with springs or weights to get the transmission into full, or near full shift phase at a lower speed or RPM? Full shift phase stock is 50-55 mph. After that it's all motor to top end. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have installed kits on rzr and can-am but they where always to ramp up the rpm faster not to slow them down. I'm not sure how that would work there designed to run in there rpm power range. Bringing rpms down on roads would probably bring it down in the woods and probably kill the performance.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This may not be the place for this question but I'll give it a try. Along with owning a 17 1000-5 deluxe, we bought a 2020 KRX 1000. My question is about the CVT/gearing. To me, this KRX is geared too low. We do a lot of gravel road cruising. RPM at 30 is 5800 and 40 is 6500. This is where my cvt question comes in, is there a way with springs or weights to get the transmission into full, or near full shift phase at a lower speed or RPM? Full shift phase stock is 50-55 mph. After that it's all motor to top end. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Go check out the KRX forum here, go to Forums, scroll way down until you find the KRX Forum, several knowledgeable people there that own KRX's and Honda's, good Folks. Just watch out for @JTW! @Ragnar406 may have better instructions on how to get there. HA!

Reactions: Bones
B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have installed kits on rzr and can-am but they where always to ramp up the rpm faster not to slow them down. I'm not sure how that would work there designed to run in there rpm power range. Bringing rpms down on roads would probably bring it down in the woods and probably kill the performance.
I agree with that logic but I think the peak hp comes in at more like 8k instead of 9. It revs to 9350 but after 8 it seems like nothing is really happening. Thanks for your input.

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go check out the KRX forum here, go to Forums, scroll way down until you find the KRX Forum, several knowledgeable people there that own KRX's and Honda's, good Folks. Just watch out for @JTW! @Ragnar406 may have better instructions on how to get there. HA!
Will do Smitty.
Thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question....who's kits did you use?

Reactions: Smitty335
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I had V-Force John redo my Teryx so it would gear all the way up. If I remember right it would do about 50 after the upgrade it did 65. The belt did not go all the up like a RZR. The Yamaha Rhino was the same way and I got another 10 mph on it too. Check to see if the belt goes all the up.

Reactions: Raynman and Bones
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@JTW
I had V-Force John redo my Teryx so it would gear all the way up. If I remember right it would do about 50 after the upgrade it did 65. The belt did not go all the up like a RZR. The Yamaha Rhino was the same way and I got another 10 mph on it too. Check to see if the belt goes all the up.
You can do that by drawing a radial line on the clutch surface with a felt tip, belt travel will wear it off.

Reactions: Bones
advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This set up is similar to a snowmobile except for the centrifugal clutch, that said, with any CVT it's a balancing act. The primary spring & weights (clutch on the engine) will control RPMs & how fast they ramp up, the secondary spring and helix angle (on the transmission in this case) will control how fast the "shift" is....from a lower gear to higher. It's not as simple as adding weights or changing a spring. The entire system needs to be balanced for best performance and cooler belt temps (no slipping). I have boxes full of springs & helixes I've used to test on different sleds over the years. Your best bet is to find a vendor who specializes in this sort of work, buy a kit that's tested so you don't waste money & time.......unless you really like to tinker ;)

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

Easy way is buy bigger tires. 😁

Reactions: toddvdh
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Big tires = more rotating mass. Never a good thing. But I get the humor:)
It’s not humor.

Increase your ground speed

Cruising gravel roads you could run BFG M/T and do just fine.

Reactions: toddvdh

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!