Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Dosnt matter how it looks! As long as it looks!
Your doing great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thoughts: great idea?, Suggestions: attach it to the ROPs or frame, Criticism: it's taking way too long! LOL
I'm glad you brought up attaching it. That may turn out to be a female dog. Not sure if where the factory bumper mounts is gonna be sturdy enough. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dosnt matter how it looks! As long as it looks!
Your doing great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks bud! The aftermarket just isn't moving fast enough for me lol. I had a pic of one on a popo that I love but nothing for the pioneer. Guess if ya want something done right, do it yerself lol.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How much do you reckon it weighs? And will there be a good hook up point so we can pull you out. Lol
I don't have a scale and absolutely no idea on weight. The piece I made was little under 2' and wasn't too bad. But definitely something to keep an eye on. It is 5 1/2" wide which is way overkill. Final product will probably be more like 3". I used 1" tubing but will probably drop to 3/4 or even 1/2" to save weight. No worry on strength as that sample was solid as a rock.

Reactions: sharp and drfubar
advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rear recovery isn't a concern as I have a D-ring attachment that goes in rear receiver. Plus using the bumper for recovery would quadruple the difficulty when mounting bumper. It's solely as a safeguard in case Don's brakes ever fail lol.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad you brought up attaching it. That may turn out to be a female dog. Not sure if where the factory bumper mounts is gonna be sturdy enough. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.
Factory bumper mounts to the pivoting bed... NOT a good idea in my opinion... it couldn't possibly be strong enough to take a hit without damaging the bed pivoting/mounting system. A bumper needs to be attached to the frame or ROPS in my opinion. I think Honda dropped the ball on this one with their chosen mounting location.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Factory bumper mounts to the pivoting bed... NOT a good idea in my opinion... it couldn't possibly be strong enough to take a hit without damaging the bed pivoting/mounting system. A bumper needs to be attached to the frame or ROPS in my opinion. I think Honda dropped the ball on this one with their chosen mounting location.
Totally agree with you 100%

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You know, I haven't fully tested that bumper yet to see how strong it is. (And I hope I don't)

I did back into a 4x4 post and took a chunk out of it. I hear about that all the time because it's the porch railing and my wife still fusses about it.

I wouldn't trust it as a anchor point for pulling that's for sure. It actually mounts pretty decent but the bed pivots may not take the load.

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You know, I haven't fully tested that bumper yet to see how strong it is. (And I hope I don't)

I did back into a 4x4 post and took a chunk out of it. I hear about that all the time because it's the porch railing and my wife still fusses about it.

I wouldn't trust it as a anchor point for pulling that's for sure. It actually mounts pretty decent but the bed pivots may not take the load.

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!
I wasn't knocking your mounts Joey. They look more than adequate for your bumper. But my Frankenstein bumper is gonna end up alot heavier so i think it may need something beefier. Your front and back bumpers match perfectly. That's the look I want for mine too.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wasn't knocking your mounts Joey. They look more than adequate for your bumper. But my Frankenstein bumper is gonna end up alot heavier so i think it may need something beefier. Your front and back bumpers match perfectly. That's the look I want for mine too.

Don't worry bud, I didn't think that at all.

Honda did a decent job considering there wasn't much options. How do you mount a bumper to something solid and also still be able to dump the bed? It's not a easy task.

I will say, get ready to start production if this thing turns out BA

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I guess I didn't want anyone to get the idea that the OEM bumper was weak. It's not strong enough for a tug-o-war but it's decent.

After seeing your front bumper mod, i've got no doubt that you'll build something strong or not build it at all!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't worry bud, I didn't think that at all.

Honda did a decent job considering there wasn't much options. How do you mount a bumper to something solid and also still be able to dump the bed? It's not a easy task.

I will say, get ready to start production if this thing turns out BA
No kidding. I'm hoping several people will jump in and form a brain trust concerning the mount. An option may be a quick release for bumper? We will come up with something. As for production....I'm all for making more if I ever finish the prototype lol. Nothing I enjoy more than metalwork and welding. First I gotta find a metal supplier. I'm basically out of square tube and only a small piece of 18ga.

advertisement