ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More can always do less but less can never do more.

I'd go with the 4500 if it's the same size and close to the same price.

KFI was pretty good on my 700 never had an issue out of it worked everytime, definitely going to get a widespool for the extra pull per layer and extra line length. 50' vs 38' on the KFI SE45 Stealth versions.

Ill probably go with KFI for my 1000.
Saw a 6000lb Viper on Amazon but I've heard mixed reviews of Viper and looking at their webpage I'm not seeing a 6000lb winch.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I would say 2 things you cant cheap out on are a winch and tires you need to beable to count on them

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The power wire for the remote/dash switch, should be switched power.

M

mitchell

Jul 26, 2015
Ok I have the P5 and couldnt fathom paying $600 for a winch, mounts and labor from the dealership! So im trying to figure out what mount ( model number off amazon) to purchase for the terra 35 winch. Any help would grately be appreciated!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I think the top mount from KFI is about the best option for the 500. The high mount allows easy access and viewing during cable retraction.

Here's a link to it http://amzn.to/1Ot1ha6
Yes, it fits the Terra35

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Thats the one im going with i like the winch higher up

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Nice detailed How to Post and Pics. Thanks!

advertisement
S

sporter

Nov 4, 2014
Installed the Superwinch today except for the switch, I would like to connect to the accessory socket wiring but don't know which wire, there is a green wire and one that is white with black stripe, I'm guessing the green wire but that is not even an educated guess, more of a hunch. HELP please.

R

Rustell

Installed the Superwinch today except for the switch, I would like to connect to the accessory socket wiring but don't know which wire, there is a green wire and one that is white with black stripe, I'm guessing the green wire but that is not even an educated guess, more of a hunch. HELP please.

Get the Honda accessory harness. It plugs into your wiring harness and gives you 3 switched hot leads... Well worth the $8.95
Honda part # 08Z08-HL5-A00

Attachments

• harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: ohanacreek
S

sporter

Nov 4, 2014
Thanks Rustell for the quick reply, got the harness installed (Has 4 leads on the one I bought), super easy. Even put the circuit breaker in the battery box, not sure I like all that exposed metal in there.

Reactions: Rustell
M

mitchell

Jul 26, 2015
Hi everyone,

Had a tough time finding a detailed install guide for the P5, so I took some photos as I installed one today. I've never installed a winch before and was a bit surprised at the complexity. Didn't install the plug for the external remote because it's not my P5 and wanted to consult with the owner about location before poking a 1" hole in a piece of expensive plastic.

I used the KFI winch mount purchased from Amazon.com. The quality of the plate and hardware was outstanding, and it went on without fuss. The first issue was finding a location to install the solenoid. Just as I was getting out the drill I stumbled upon a bracket that looks to be there for the factory winch option. It's directly behind the dashboard on the passenger side of the machine:

2015 02 1420132411 zps1spf7lnj

Have to be very careful with the routing of the cables to the battery. They were just long enough to make it with mere inches to spare. I routed the cables down through the wheel well...

2015 02 1420132551 zpsqoqaj2uf

And above the frame rails on the passenger side. I ran the yellow wires by feeling through the holes in the skid plates, then gave up and removed the passenger side fasteners and dropped the skid plates for the blue wire. Brought them out in the rear wheel well and up into the battery box.

2015 02 1420132540 zpsgjlmhmek

Tried the best I could to get the wires through the same opening the rest of the wires went, but there wasn't enough room. Had to notch the cover to make it fit:

2015 02 1420134027 zpscnorhc7n

2015 02 1420134102 zpssl2zoppf

Mounted the switch under the dash near the driver's knee.

2015 02 1420132440 zpstfghsk9y

Did this using the hardware supplied with the KFI winch kit for this purpose. Made sure to use a location that would run the machine screws through both pieces of plastic where they intersect. The back of the screws can be seen towards the right of the photo. Sorry about the dirt, it makes things a little tough to see.

2015 02 1420132456 zpsa0eapmpz

Ran the wires down next to the radiator and attached them to the terminals on the winch. Secured them with zip ties.

2015 02 1420132507 zpsqql2ssfw

After this was done and the winch was tested I tied the wires up with zip ties. I attempted to stay out of the area the underhood bucket sits in in the event that they get one in the future.

2015 02 1420132425 zpsdj0igwuk

And here's a finished photo of the winch mounted up:

2015 02 1420132519 zpsvkf1vqmq

Took it outside for a quick test. Had no trouble dragging the P5 up a hill on my driveway with the parking brake locked. Very impressive little winch!

Hello,

I have installed the winch as well as well as the wiring I put the switch in the cab under the dash next to the drivers left knee, pretty similar to the one you did mine is just a little lower (didn't put it there on purpose just kind of ended up that way) I also put the remote plug in under the fender on the drivers side front tire. I used the hardware that came with the switch to mount on the under side of the fender I think it stays well out of the way and didn't have to drill any more holes if any one would like to see pictures or has any questions on that let me know I will be more than happy to show you!

But now here is my question. It says in the instructions to splice the red wires from the switch and the remote to the ignition wire on the P5 did you do this? if so is there any sort of information you or anyone could give me on which wire you spliced into as well as maybe a picture?

Thanks

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Hello,

I have installed the winch as well as well as the wiring I put the switch in the cab under the dash next to the drivers left knee, pretty similar to the one you did mine is just a little lower (didn't put it there on purpose just kind of ended up that way) I also put the remote plug in under the fender on the drivers side front tire. I used the hardware that came with the switch to mount on the under side of the fender I think it stays well out of the way and didn't have to drill any more holes if any one would like to see pictures or has any questions on that let me know I will be more than happy to show you!

But now here is my question. It says in the instructions to splice the red wires from the switch and the remote to the ignition wire on the P5 did you do this? if so is there any sort of information you or anyone could give me on which wire you spliced into as well as maybe a picture?

Thanks
The accessory harness from honda makes this very simple.Cost is #9.00

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks moose308 do you by chance know the part number?
No sir.Dealer should be able to help. Get a test light and turn the key on and see which one is hot after plugging it in.Open the hood and it plugs into the red colored block.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
No sir.Dealer should be able to help. Get a test light and turn the key on and see which one is hot after plugging it in.Open the hood and it plugs into the red colored block.
Part 08z08 hl5 a00

Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
Anyone know if the accessory harness for the 700 work the same way? Description doesn't mention winch connection and is $5.95 vs $8.95 of the 500

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!