Dirt Road Fab Spare Holder

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
well not great pictures, but i finished my Spare Tire carrier project. I bought a YXZ one and did some fancy brackets to attach (Already had a HMF Rear Bumper). I won't be able to do Rough Trail test for little while, But seems as solid as was on my old YXZ

IMG 0258 IMG 0259 IMG 0261

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Dirt Road Fab, Great job on this setup! I really like it a lot! I got an option question.....Is there a way to have the spare tire mount on the outside in the lower position and then have a ropax gas can mounted on the inside of the tail gate? I would like to have the gas on the inside and then all my other stuff would sit from gas can to air intake cover? I hope that makes sense...Thanks!

Reactions: Lil_Steve and 906UP
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Dirt Road Fab, Great job on this setup! I really like it a lot! I got an option question.....Is there a way to have the spare tire mount on the outside in the lower position and then have a ropax gas can mounted on the inside of the tail gate? I would like to have the gas on the inside and then all my other stuff would sit from gas can to air intake cover? I hope that makes sense...Thanks!

That's pretty much how I pictured the ideal set up for me. 👍

D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like it, thinking it may be the preferred set up for those of us running stock size shoes.
The tire in the picture measures just shy of 31" and is 27" off the floor.
Thank you. Yes that would be no problem.

BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just got back from a ride after installing the Dirt Road Fab bed extender, worked perfectly and no rattle at all.
My main reason for buying this was to get weight back and help the suspension, I am pleased to say it was a total success. It rides so much better, much bigger difference than adding the tender springs. Now for a full shock revalve and springs and I think I will have something.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Latches great and quality’s great. I want to keep the spare down low in the bed. 32 in tire is heavy. I’ve got a 10 in tall storage box coming for the rocks my wife likes to pick up. Gonna do soft coolers also. Whole goal was keeping weight low and not making machine any longer than the 7 inches it adds without the spare tire carrier. Have good visibility with rear view mirror so happy about the good view. Probably gonna do a back up camera for tight trails and loading in the trailer ect. Really isn’t a good solution if you don’t want to add a lot of length and keep weight low but really love the product and think I’ll be happy with Finished product.

View attachment 201734 View attachment 201735
Wish they made them available in orange.....🤷‍♂️

ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Sep 7, 2019
BATH
Ownership

1. Talon X
Terrible picture of the tire mount in the lower position.

View attachment 206062
looks like this is mounted above a HMF rear bumper. I dont see either of the support bars. Are you able to run these together. i don't want to give up my bumper with the hitch built in or could the supports be fabricated to attach to the bumper instead.

D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
looks like this is mounted above a HMF rear bumper. I dont see either of the support bars. Are you able to run these together. i don't want to give up my bumper with the hitch built in or could the supports be fabricated to attach to the bumper instead.
That is actually the Honda steel bumper. I do build mounts to adapt from the bumper to the extender. It would be possible to adapt to the HMF unfortunately I no longer have the Talon or an HMF bumper to build from. Something like in the attached picture.

20210212 185749

Reactions: CID
ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Sep 7, 2019
BATH
Ownership

1. Talon X
darn. that's exactly what i'm looking for. i'd love to tie both together like that. if you ever get the opportunity let me know. thanks

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
More photos and comments on my DRF bed extender with the 3 gallon RotoPax -

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just got back from a ride after installing the Dirt Road Fab bed extender, worked perfectly and no rattle at all.
My main reason for buying this was to get weight back and help the suspension, I am pleased to say it was a total success. It rides so much better, much bigger difference than adding the tender springs. Now for a full shock revalve and springs and I think I will have something.
Do you have a 2 passenger ?
I'm debating on getting a livevalve but I was told not to much difference suspension wise.
Should I just go with a 1000r and add the bed extender to help with the bucking, or pay a little more and just go with the livevalve? Thanks

BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have a 2 passenger ?
I'm debating on getting a livevalve but I was told not to much difference suspension wise.
Should I just go with a 1000r and add the bed extender to help with the bucking, or pay a little more and just go with the livevalve? Thanks
Yes mine is a 2 seat R no live valve. Tuning the suspension has turned out to be a bit tricky with the spare that far back but I think Weller racing has it very close now. The first attempt with the spare was to soft and not enough rebound as well, second attempt much better but need to get it into a few more situations to be sure it is good.

Beez

Beez

Jul 7, 2019
Matyland
Can someone tell me how much length does this add off the back? with and/or without a tire. Thanks

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can someone tell me how much length does this add off the back? with and/or without a tire. Thanks
On my Talon R the extender alone is 7-1/4" past the back edge of the stock plastic bed bumper; the spare on a stock front rim adds another 9-1/2". So 16-3/4" longer total.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beez and 906UP
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I had it powder coated gray but when I put it on the back of the machine it just was too much gray blending in with the suspension. So off to rhino lining. I like how it turned out. As mention the back mount is for gas can and water storage.

Now for the expanded metal. I did it so I could put my dog back there. Turns out it has been very useful for keeping other things. If you are going to get one I would recommend getting the expanded metal bottom. DirtRoad may want to make that an option.
I see you have a silver lab. Handsome dog! There fairly rare so I had to Acknowledge your dog. I have a 3 yr old silver Lab named Blue.
34459F9B B2AA 4A04 B3D5 C2BA7FCC11AF

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!