Dirt Road Fab Spare Holder

M

mikegriffin84

Jun 23, 2019
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I want to buy one but it's just too damn long for me once you add the spare on the back. I don't want the spare in the bed so ideally if I had the choice this thing would only go past the end of the existing bed by no more than 1 to 2 inches and then the spare would mount as close to that as possible. It's just too long for me at about double the total distance out from the back but for some I'm sure it's great. It looks the best built of any of the options i have seen so far. Thinking at this point I may just have to build something myself.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I want to buy one but it's just too damn long for me once you add the spare on the back. I don't want the spare in the bed so ideally if I had the choice this thing would only go past the end of the existing bed by no more than 1 to 2 inches and then the spare would mount as close to that as possible. It's just too long for me at about double the total distance out from the back but for some I'm sure it's great. It looks the best built of any of the options i have seen so far. Thinking at this point I may just have to build something myself.
I considered ordering one without the spare tire rack and mounting the spare inside the rack. That way the rack would be carrying the weight which I think would be stronger than the spare hanging off the back. Just thinking out loud ...

The current setup will work for me, tire outside and Rotopax inside - I’m patiently waiting for DRF, he’s having supply issues, just like half the businesses around the world.

Reactions: 906UP
M

mikegriffin84

Jun 23, 2019
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I considered ordering one without the spare tire rack and mounting the spare inside the rack. That way the rack would be carrying the weight which I think would be stronger than the spare hanging off the back. Just thinking out loud ...

The current setup will work for me, tire outside and Rotopax inside - I’m patiently waiting for DRF, he’s having supply issues, just like half the businesses around the world.
That actually might work... let me think on that.

Reactions: CID
G

Grumpygramps

Jul 7, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That actually might work... let me think on
That actually might work... let me think on that.
Food for thought. I had same concerns about to much length and didn’t like the idea of a spare up high so this is what I came up with. First of all loaded 32 in tire with the dish on the rim pointed up in the bed. Reason for this is u can store a lot of stuff inside that rim. Needed something to put rocks in to keep my wife happy so got a 10 inch high by 13 in long box for rocks. Told her when it’s full that that will be enough rocks for the day😊. Using a well insulated fish bag I had for lunches and drinks in place of a cooler.
I can still see pretty good out of rear view mirror which was a goal I had. Probably gonna put a backup camera out the back to see what’s going on. It is difficult with the talons small bed to figure things out. I know it’s red neck but it’s what I’ve come up with so far.
2E886289 D631 4082 AF17 D0F3896FB60F
2E886289 D631 4082 AF17 D0F3896FB60F
B61A798E 9B4D 4139 A58F E75E68068364
E6889EDE 5714 490F A416 2B09A1F51A86

TalonMatt

TalonMatt

Jan 9, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just got mine on and it is well worth it! If you are on the fence about it, all I can say is get it and you won’t be disappointed.
3C1DF665 241D 4E1D B29B 6E32E4771A74

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good question.

From DRF's website -

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
@TalonMatt Another question, the center support bar on your tail gate seems to have a flat plate welded to the outside of the tail gate. Is that for a RotoPax mount?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@TalonMatt another question, looks like you have a textured coating, is it powder coat?

D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you have the expanded metal added or is that the way it comes?
Matt had me add the expanded metal. The production model does not come with it.
@TalonMatt Another question, the center support bar on your tail gate seems to have a flat plate welded to the outside of the tail gate. Is that for a RotoPax mount?
You are correct it is for the RotopaX mount.
@TalonMatt another question, looks like you have a textured coating, is it powder coat?
Matt chose to coat his in bedliner which turned out great.

Will post a picture of the low tire mount tomorrow.

TalonMatt

TalonMatt

Jan 9, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had it powder coated gray but when I put it on the back of the machine it just was too much gray blending in with the suspension. So off to rhino lining. I like how it turned out. As mention the back mount is for gas can and water storage.

Now for the expanded metal. I did it so I could put my dog back there. Turns out it has been very useful for keeping other things. If you are going to get one I would recommend getting the expanded metal bottom. DirtRoad may want to make that an option.

5CED1EDA 7CE6 411A 910A 1E99756AA011

T

TMCCOY

Nov 18, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Are you able to access the diff drain plug with that hitch?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!