P1000 Do I need diodes?

J

jakewolf1

Apr 27, 2019
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,
I bought a P1000-5 about one month ago. I love the machine. I have been enjoying getting it setup for my needs. I recently added an isolator and aux battery. Currently the aux battery powers a stereo but I will add more accessories in the future. I have installed dual battery systems in a couple of different vehicles. I was hoping I could get some of your criticism/feedback regarding my system design. I bought a trueAM UTV isolator and I am using a 35AH interstate AGM battery for the AUX battery. The isolator setup is simple. I have power in from primary battery and power out to AUX battery with it grounded to the primary battery. The AUX battery is grounded to the ground on the starter relay (only because the supplied cable was so short).
The AUX battery power goes through a circuit breaker (not shown in diagram) to a solenoid then to a blue seas fuse block and accessories are powered from the fuse block. I have a 3 way switch that manually triggers the solenoid (regardless of ignition power) in one position and in the opposite position it sends power to solenoid when key is on, middle postion is off. I jumped power from the Honda fuse block (15 amp ACC) to the 3 way switch and also to a volt meter so I can see primary battery voltage when key is on. This system has been installed for about 1 week and was working well. Yesterday the primary battery volt meter went out and I also noticed low voltage on my primary battery. The pioneer had been on a charger. I removed the charger and had 13.1 V. I drove around a little and parked for about 1 hour with key off. I got back in and cranked the motor and noticed low voltage. The pioneer cranked slowly. The volt meter flickered and died. I was able to start the machine but I am now bewildered. The only thing I think I could add to my system is diodes on the power outs from switch to the solenoid. I am not sure why that would affect the isolator and my primary battery. Is it back feeding through the switch into the ignition fuse somehow confusing the isolator? I would really appreciate any help or advice. I know enough to be dangerous. Attached is a rudimentary diagram of my setup. Thanks a lot!
Jake

IMG 6186

J

JTW

The diagram is basically how mine works... no diodes. I would test the stock battery and see if it’s good. There have been several new batteries replaced.

D

DDDonkey

The diagram is basically how mine works... no diodes. I would test the stock battery and see if it’s good. There have been several new batteries replaced.

This may be your problem, if the battery tests out good I would check the wiring on your switch just to ensure it is set up correct. I don’t believe you need to diodes like JTW said.

Reactions: JTW
J

jakewolf1

Apr 27, 2019
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh man. I think I am an idiot. I was grounding to a hot on the starter solenoid. I think I found my problem and also identified my lack of intelligence.

J

jakewolf1

Apr 27, 2019
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you ground your AUX battery to?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
When you say you grounded to the starter solinode, you not talking about this black wire are you. Fedb6a2018f6d75f4af42bcca2f9fb43

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
When you say you grounded to the starter solinode, you not talking about this black wire are you. View attachment 132066

Ya. I see your messages above.
YA. That's NOT a ground. That is a HOT output of the solinode.

J

jakewolf1

Apr 27, 2019
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya. I see your messages above.
YA. That's NOT a ground. That is a HOT output of the solinode.

So dumb. I will ground to the primary battery or motor ground. Thanks! Cannot believe I did this. Glad I didn't fry my starter solenoid.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That's ok dude.
There was a guy who did a full install how2 wright up on a dual battery and posted it here. He did the same thing and I removed it because of this. He was not happy.

Reactions: JTW
J

jakewolf1

Apr 27, 2019
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's ok dude.
There was a guy who did a full install how2 wright up on a dual battery and posted it here. He did the same thing and I removed it because of this. He was not happy.

I really appreciate the help, this forum, and your store. Learned a lot about these machines in a short time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!