P500 Doolin64's C.R.A.P. 500 Build

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Well...I figured I should probably name my P500 build/restoration. I enjoy following and reading through everyone's build here, so what not do my own? After much deliberation, I gave my P500 the name "CRAP". It stands for Clearly Really Abused Pioneer. I plan to share all about my CRAP here.

As most of you know, I purchased used 2015 Pioneer 500. It had 900 miles on it was clearly driven like it was stolen by the original owner. He had little regard for maintenance and care. Thankfully, since it was a Honda, it mechanically was still running like a top.

What I thought was starting out as a used Pioneer in need of a cleaning and an oil change has evolved to much much more. Thankfully, I don't mind spinning wrenches. Bloodly knuckles, cursing out the previous owner and some good old garage time can be therapeutic.

This first post is more a placeholder for the moment. More to follow.

The day she came home!
20161105 164918 zpshptlqp4x

kenmo

kenmo

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2016
mayfield, ky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
good looking ride, Im sure the hard work will pay off. you have a nice ride now

Reactions: doolin64
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Well it looked good ....Don't judge a book bu its cover ?

Reactions: CURTK
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Purchase day...

I never do well with money in pocket. If what I'm shopping for is close by, it's non issue. But for a road trip...I struggle with restraint. Oddly, the only other time I regretted a purchase like this was with a Honda 400ex. Strange....never realized both were Honda's until I typed this up.

There was no doubt, I was coming home with something after a 2+ hour ride with my wife and kids and a promise to stop at some outlets for shopping. Going into it this bike was checking the right boxes. It was going to be great! 27" tires and wheels, stereo, roof, windshield, winch. 750 miles on it and Camo to boot.

Well...in theory it sounded good. The windshield was homemade and cracked. It rubbed the camo off the hood in a spot. The tires and wheels had been banged off rocks and spun in the mud. The tires while serviceable, were used/worn more than I expected. It had 900 miles on it not 750. The roll cage had a few dents at the bottom and it was plenty scratched. The skids saw better days, he had a sad homemade diamond plate skid in the back. It had homemade snorkel with white PVC instead of black abs. I've seen better plumbing in foreclosures where people should never have been awarded a Home Depot card The stereo was missing. The air box looked as if it has never been cleaned. Oh CRAP...what did I get into?

I should have turned around right there, but alas, I'm a sucker for punishment with a pocket full of cash. I went for a test drive and the bike ran great. The oil didn't look terrible. Due for a change but that was expected. I figured at the right price, some cleaning and servicing, I'd have a great SxS at a great price.

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Picture time!

In this episode of holy CRAP...I present to you RTV in lieu of a new o-ring.

I'm going a little out of order but I had to share. Last night I'm finally getting around to changing the oil on P500.

I'm looking down at the oil filter cover and I say " what is that crap all over the cover". Why RTV of course. So upon inspection it's readily apparent there was an oil leak "solved" with RTV. A quick look at this he phenomenon O-ring tells the story. A quick trip to the dealer for 2 new orings on my lunch break was in order.

In this pic, I've removed 99% of the gasket maker, but left a piece on the counter. I'll let you pick out the good oring. 375fed39b412132faedcaf624bd5fa2f

J

Jshell3

Picture time!

In this episode of holy CRAP...I present to you RTV in lieu of a new o-ring.

I'm going a little out of order but I had to share. Last night I'm finally getting around to changing the oil on P500.

I'm looking down at the oil filter cover and I say " what is that crap all over the cover". Why RTV of course. So upon inspection it's readily apparent there was an oil leak "solved" with RTV. A quick look at this he phenomenon O-ring tells the story. A quick trip to the dealer for 2 new orings on my lunch break was in order.

In this pic, I've removed 99% of the gasket maker, but left a piece on the counter. I'll let you pick out the good oring. View attachment 28458
Ooh, ooh...
the one on the right is the good one!

Score.

Man, I feel kinda bad bc I was all for the camo when comparing the two on your initial post.

It gets better... or I hope so, for you

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Ooh, ooh...
the one on the right is the good one!

Score.

Man, I feel kinda bad bc I was all for the camo when comparing the two on your initial post.

It gets better... or I hope so, for you
I was all for the camo one too!!! :)

Reactions: Jshell3
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
No worries guys! If you remember...the red one was going to be a sight unseen purchase. It was getting delivered to me from 6 hours away.

I could have walked away, but the money was getting really hot in my pocket and I good see the inner beauty of the piece of this P500. I felt the need to rescue it like a dog roaming the streets in Tennessee. (no offense to anyone from Tennessee, but my Lab died a few weeks ago and I've been looking to adopt a dog. 9 out of 10 of them are from either Tennessee or Oklahoma).

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No worries guys! If you remember...the red one was going to be a sight unseen purchase. It was getting delivered to me from 6 hours away.

I could have walked away, but the money was getting really hot in my pocket and I good see the inner beauty of the piece of this P500. I felt the need to rescue it like a dog roaming the streets in Tennessee. (no offense to anyone from Tennessee, but my Lab died a few weeks ago and I've been looking to adopt a dog. 9 out of 10 of them are from either Tennessee or Oklahoma).
Hey!!!!

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Assessment time.

My first step was washing all the crap off my P500 and getting a game plan.

Here is what I came up with...

1. Remove the ugly:
  • Broken homemade windshield;
  • Pathetic snorkel;
2. Service the bike:
  • Change oil;
  • Clean air filter;
  • Change diff fluid;
  • Change sparkplug;
  • Adjust the valves
3. Replace the following:
  • Replace the skidplate;
  • Replace the front bumper (Thank you Solrus);
  • Reinstall door nets (Thank you Montecresto)
4. Paint
  • Roll cage;
  • Frame;
  • Camo hood - missing graphics from homemade windshield rubbing without a gasket
  • Rear rack
5. Things I'd like to add
  • Honda rear cargo tray
  • Various skid plates
  • Windshield
  • Rear windscreen/shield
  • Replace the tires and wheels. Tires rode real lumpy. Wheels were beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: ehart814 and rocmar
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Assessment time.

1. Remove the ugly:
  • Pathetic snorkel;
2. Service the bike:
  • Change oil;
  • Clean air filter;
  • Change diff fluid;
  • Change sparkplug;
  • Adjust the valves
  • Replace the skidplate;
4. Paint
  • Roll cage;
  • Frame;
  • Camo hood - missing graphics from homemade windshield rubbing without a gasket
  • Rear rack
  • Honda rear cargo tray
  • Various skid plates
  • Windshield
  • Rear windscreen/shield

Good plan.... Get the engine and diff oils changed first thing, and either clean or replace the air filter. Gotta have clean oil and air before all else!

Reactions: Chooglin and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Assessment time.

1. Remove the ugly:
  • Pathetic snorkel;
2. Service the bike:
  • Change oil;
  • Clean air filter;
  • Change diff fluid;
  • Change sparkplug;
  • Adjust the valves
  • Replace the skidplate;
4. Paint
  • Roll cage;
  • Frame;
  • Rear rack
  • Honda rear cargo tray
  • Various skid plates
  • Windshield
  • Rear windscreen/shield

Lumpy tires...could be to much air

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Bhahahaha!!! Well, it's been fun to watch!
Haha
was going to see if ya
wanted to plan a ride...
but not sure if I wanna wait
for ya to make 12 point turns
on these tight trails...you
won't fit through the gate..
it's kool...had to give ya
....s***

20161210 120157

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
So let's cut to the chase. The biggest bane of my existence has been the broke skid plate bolts. 7 out of the 21 broke. Out of the seven, 3 drilled out no problem. The other 4 were drilled completely. Rivnuts were the plan and thus far have failed. 1 homemade tool and 2 purchased tools later have ultimately failed.

6c46c11a8467167a24b320306d34448c
03dc8a8b66b68d42aab0c198fa89dc9c

So now I have 4 unthreaded holes to deal with.

825af0e5fa9b5c13e6aab4c49bf69e6e

I ioted to look for other options due to the difficulties Ive had setting the nutsert.

I'm thinking about ordering these.

79ad0e2aaba06c755c0900639d823628

Thoughts?

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
So let's cut to the chase. The biggest bane of my existence has been the broke skid plate bolts. 7 out of the 21 broke. Out of the seven, 3 drilled out no problem. The other 4 were drilled completely. Rivnuts were the plan and thus far have failed. 1 homemade tool and 2 purchased tools later have ultimately failed.

View attachment 28490
View attachment 28491

View attachment 28492

I ioted to look for other options due to the difficulties Ive had setting the nutsert.

View attachment 28493

Thoughts?

tap & thread
I feel for a bro
laying on the grnd
work...sucks

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 28490
View attachment 28491

View attachment 28492

View attachment 28493

Thoughts?
Those weld bolts
should work...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 28490
View attachment 28491

View attachment 28492

View attachment 28493

Thoughts?
s*** that sucks dude. The metals too thin for tap and thread so I don't know what you can do. I'm going to be replacing my skids with the SSS here in a few weeks, I've broke one bolt off when I was taking one side of the OEM skids loose to run wiring. If several more are to break when I remove them my plan is to weld or tap screw an 11 gauge or 1/8" channel right over the existing frame and then tap and thread. Keep with it tiger, where there's a will, there is a way!

J

JTW

View attachment 28490
View attachment 28491

View attachment 28492

View attachment 28493

Thoughts?
I think you're on the right track now. But here's an outside of the box thought.. mount your skid to these and apply. They're ridiculously strong.

Amazon.com: 4Pcs of 1.26" Powerful Neodymium Round Base Cup Magnet - Hold up to 80 lbs Pull Force w/ Countersunk Hole for #10 Screws (included): Home Improvement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!