Talon Dust vacuum with a windshield?

T

The-Bearded-One

Mar 23, 2019
North Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5, and the ONE thing I really hate is the dust vacuum with the windshield on. Have to take it off in the summer just so I can breathe. Absolutely hate wearing goggles and dealing with bugs in my face. Haven't seen anything on this topic with the Talon yet. Looking to get one in the next week or so... Have one on hold right now. Is the Talon the same story? This is a selling point with the wife, so it's important!

Reactions: Isaiah
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Based on key words, 'hate' 'dust' bugs' 'goggles' ........'can't breathe', it would seem like a Talon or any other utv would be a poor choice.

The operative word in your opening statement was "wife" and it sounds like she isn't interested at all in your adventure unless the vehicle has 'enclosure', 'a/c' and 'filtration system''.

A used jeep for the same price would solve all of the above and seems logical based on what we know from your original post.

If you are determined to own a Talon, then purchase and install
*Marine, 2 bilge pump fans underneath to blow hot air out the back
*Add big fans next to the rear view mirrors to cool and keep dust down
*Purchase thin, cooling sleeves that you can put over your face and neck to reduce the dust factor without looking like you just came out of a meth lab.

There are recent posts here if you look for them. I do would this before taking the wife out on the first ride to make it a positive experience.

I asked my wife what type of riding she would enjoy and it comes down to riding on wide open areas on cool days with scenic views.
Never was mudding or crashing through the heavy brush and bugs a part of her vision for a good week end.

Best of luck
'

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Leave the front open and install a rear panel of some sort and that's the best you get. You're still going to eat dust, it's the nature of the beast. Like @L2R stated, maybe a Jeep is the way to go?

Reactions: Isaiah
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
with just the full windshield my X gets extremely dusty inside but so did my RZR. I added a rear window and this reduced it considerably.
I still had to do a few more things to reduce the dust. But was able to reduce it by about 95%.
How I was able to find the most intrusive areas of dust entry. Was to drive it after dark in a dusty area and with a flashlight observe where the dust was entering from. This worked very well and aided in my fight against dust.

I am on the way down this mourning to have a safety glass window installed into the rear frame I built on my X and will report back on how much this will help on it's own.

I have ordered gasket material ect. to further address other area of concern also that should be here tomorrow and will start the night drive with flashlight thing again on my new X.

The Talon has a lot more open areas to let the dust in compared to my RZR. But I think I can remedy a lot of it ...DRK

T

The-Bearded-One

Mar 23, 2019
North Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon R
LOL, I think maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm not worried about the normal dust and dirt issues when riding. Been doing this a long time and I'm well aware of the "nature of the beast". I'm more concerned about the self-inflicted dust problem that plagues the Pioneer. I can go out by myself and come back with 10lb of dirt inside the cab. It's pretty extreme compared to any other SXS I've been in. Nobody else that I ride with has to remove their windshield to fix the dust issue.

Also, not interested in a Jeep or A/C or ventilation systems. We're not delicate flowers. Just wanting to not have to decide between eating bugs or dust.

Was simply curious if anybody that has a Talon with a windshield is experiencing the same dust problem that the Pioneer has.

Reactions: Isaiah and Arizona
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am fairly convinced that there is just no way to *seal* the cockpit dust-tight. There are just too many holes/openings in the Talon. It is a delicate balance between stopping unwanted dust while keeping enough air flowing through to maintain some level of comfort on hot, sultry days. What I have done to try to mitigate the dust issue is to:

1. Add a rear window to keep dust from rolling in the back
  2. Add a SuperATV folding windshield

The windshield has three positions: 1) closed, 2) vent, and 3) open (see pics).

20190524 095004

20190524 095035

20190524 095049

Admittedly, I have not had a chance to test these items yet. But, in a cursory run around the block I was able to test how well the windshield works. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of air that came through in the vent position.

My back window is the Honda soft version

20190524 095104

I believe the combination of a windshield and back window will do about as much as one is able to do toward minimizing dust. I think we'll like the options afforded by the SuperATV folding windshield. However, it does put the seam between the two panels right at eye level for my wife and she's already expressed some concern about it. I'm 6'4" and it doesn't bother me at all. The whole package does, however, tend to make the rig feel a bit more confining - especially when looking out the front with the windshield up. It's somewhat like having the bill of a giant baseball cap in your vision. I do worry some about catching/scratching it on low-hanging limbs.

BTW - I have tried to minimize the dust routes in the floors (re: HUGE, gaping holes in proximity to the rear seat mounts) by temporarily covering them as best I could with black Gorilla duct tape. If this seems to make a noticeable difference I will try to cobble together a more permanent solution.

As I get some miles under me with this set up I'll report back. Fortunately for me, my wife has spent LOTS of miles in dust clouds on the Grizzly 700's and is used to the dusty mess. Not saying she likes it, but it isn't a surprise for her, so there's that.

Steve

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Does a half windshield help or make it worse ? We don’t have any now but have a half ordered

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Half allows air to pass through so no back draft with dust.
Half also deflects air up to help push over your head (depends on windshield, speed and your height of course) but it helps quite a bit for me.
Flip to full when it gets cold and then you may want the back panel to stop the dust.
this is how come many end up just closing it in if they live where its cold.

It is genius marketing- buy a sxs and you are half way there, you just don't know it at the time.

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks man my half is supposed to be here Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mikeherber

Oct 13, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Based on key words, 'hate' 'dust' bugs' 'goggles' ........'can't breathe', it would seem like a Talon or any other utv would be a poor choice.

The operative word in your opening statement was "wife" and it sounds like she isn't interested at all in your adventure unless the vehicle has 'enclosure', 'a/c' and 'filtration system''.

A used jeep for the same price would solve all of the above and seems logical based on what we know from your original post.

If you are determined to own a Talon, then purchase and install
*Marine, 2 bilge pump fans underneath to blow hot air out the back
*Add big fans next to the rear view mirrors to cool and keep dust down
*Purchase thin, cooling sleeves that you can put over your face and neck to reduce the dust factor without looking like you just came out of a meth lab.

There are recent posts here if you look for them. I do would this before taking the wife out on the first ride to make it a positive experience.

I asked my wife what type of riding she would enjoy and it comes down to riding on wide open areas on cool days with scenic views.
Never was mudding or crashing through the heavy brush and bugs a part of her vision for a good week end.

Best of luck
'
I have the 1/2 windshield on my talon and have no dust problems

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Got my rear safety glass window installed and it really made a big difference in the amount of dust into the cab area.
I have blocked off most of the firewall openings and the area around the steering column. I found the most comfortable steering wheel angle and then sealed it in that location. Mostly for the amount of heat coming in hitting me directly.
My next fix will be around the doors. This seems to be the biggest problem area now for dust. The gaps are way to large... DRK

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Got my rear safety glass window installed and it really made a big difference in the amount of dust into the cab area.
I have blocked off most of the firewall openings and the area around the steering column. I found the most comfortable steering wheel angle and then sealed it in that location. Mostly for the amount of heat coming in hitting me directly.
My next fix will be around the doors. This seems to be the biggest problem area now for dust. The gaps are way to large... DRK
Any pictures of your rear glass frame?

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a full glass Honda windshield and the dust was aughful. I installed a rear panel from superatv.com and it was worth every dime. This panel has a rubber seal that goes on the outside edge of the panel and it seals up to the rear cage. It seems to keep some of the engine noise down and it stops some of the air flow thru the cabin and that also stops some of the hot air flow that filters thru from the radiator.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
this is a picture of my rear window. I did not take any pics during construction.
The top bar of the frame is 1/8" X 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" angle iron, sides and bottom are 1/8" x 1 1/2" flat bar. then I added in 1/8" x 3" flat bar pieces on the corners so I could cut in the radius. I used a #10 coffee can to draw the radius. (Real scientific)
Welded the frame to the Talon , then had the glass shop install the safety glass.
The top of the frame had to have the angle iron because the roll bar cross bar is in to far to support the frame.
Works great and really stopped the dust.
Cost around $200 total with glass....DRK

20190706 102826

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and stellarpod
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have Super ATV flip windshield and back window .My Talon is virtually dust free . I ride weekly with 6-24 other sxs s and almost every week someone ask me how do I keep it so clean inside . My response is always the same . It's not a RZR .

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put an Alien Shade mesh top on my Pioneer 1000-5 with a Super ATV windshield and that helped with the dust a lot, not sure if they're making the mesh tops for the Talon yet but might be worth checking.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5, and the ONE thing I really hate is the dust vacuum with the windshield on. Have to take it off in the summer just so I can breathe. Absolutely hate wearing goggles and dealing with bugs in my face. Haven't seen anything on this topic with the Talon yet. Looking to get one in the next week or so... Have one on hold right now. Is the Talon the same story? This is a selling point with the wife, so it's important!
We found that we put a half windshield in the front and we built a full windshield in the back( but not fully enclosed) it helped 95% with the dust.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
To get a little more control over my dust entry. And also cool me down in this Arizona heat.
I added side wings to direct the air to where I wanted it.
Some have added vents to the roof, left out the seal at upper front window between the roof and then added a wind deflector.
But I already have numerous things in the way inside the roof area and not much space left.

So I went with the these side wing vents.
I cut up a 3" aluminum irrigation pipe for the deflector. Welded tabs onto the roll bar to mount it too.
This has helped a lot....

20190728 081944 20190728 081958 20190722 190608

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!