Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Google is your friend.
This is a decent writeup on suspension
Suspension Setup Guide
Looking to upgrade to Elka or Walker shocks just want to make an informed decision.....
I'm new to all this so I called both companies for feedback on what would be the best setup for my unit. Neither one could give a real world answer since they develope these shocks for stock setups. I'm running the super ATV 3" lift so I know I'm going to sacrifice some shock performance anyway I go. My concern is maintaining ride height from my lift. This lift uses a spring spacer that's just over an inch thick. Is there anyone out there running this lift and after market shocks? Thanks for any feedback!

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to upgrade to Elka or Walker shocks just want to make an informed decision.....
I'm new to all this so I called both companies for feedback on what would be the best setup for my unit. Neither one could give a real world answer since they develope these shocks for stock setups. I'm running the super ATV 3" lift so I know I'm going to sacrifice some shock performance anyway I go. My concern is maintaining ride height from my lift. This lift uses a spring spacer that's just over an inch thick. Is there anyone out there running this lift and after market shocks? Thanks for any feedback!
Here's a pic of the spacer....

Screenshot 20171120 150224

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will not need the spacer with either shock. All you have to do is run the spring nut down to set your ride height.
You will not need the spacer with either shock. All you have to do is run the spring nut down to set your ride height.
Ok awesome that's what I was wanting to hear. I talked with super ATV about the spacer they said it was giving around 3/4 to an inch of the lift height. So running the spring nut down to gain that height back am I going to notice a big difference in the shock performance or just minimal? Also apples to apples looking at Walker vs Elka running rocky trails, kinda fast, is one going to outshine the other?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Ok awesome that's what I was wanting to hear. I talked with super ATV about the spacer they said it was giving around 3/4 to an inch of the lift height. So running the spring nut down to gain that height back am I going to notice a big difference in the shock performance or just minimal? Also apples to apples looking at Walker vs Elka running rocky trails, kinda fast, is one going to outshine the other?
The Walker is comparable to the Stage 3 Elka. Stage 5 elka's will give you the high speed compression adjustment. Walker is stateside so easier to get them re-valved or serviced. The elka's are finished nicer IMO. Both is a major upgrade. High speed = more preload on mine. Slower off chamber = Lower, for the best ride.

Reactions: JTW
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Walker is comparable to the Stage 3 Elka. Stage 5 elka's will give you the high speed compression adjustment. Walker is stateside so easier to get them re-valved or serviced. The elka's are finished nicer IMO. Both is a major upgrade. High speed = more preload on mine. Slower off chamber = Lower, for the best ride.
Thanks for the info! Gonna do some thinking and pull the trigger on a set soon.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Spring preload should not be used to drastically increase ride height. This will impact performance I would not recommend adding the spacer or adjusting the preload to match your current ride height. I like this article as a method of setting your spring pre-load. I personally use the 30% static sag setup with good results assuming that you set static sag with the correct payload for your machine and next ride.
HOW-TO: Setting up UTV suspension

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spring preload should not be used to drastically increase ride height. This will impact performance I would not recommend adding the spacer or adjusting the preload to match your current ride height. I like this article as a method of setting your spring pre-load. I personally use the 30% static sag setup with good results assuming that you set static sag with the correct payload for your machine and next ride.
HOW-TO: Setting up UTV suspension
After talking with both Elka and Walker sales reps they both said given the spacer in my lift kit that they would use a slightly heavier spring to take place of that spacer and maintain my current height. I know this will take away from the shocks performance some but still should be leaps and bounds better than where I'm at.....I hope!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
After talking with both Elka and Walker sales reps they both said given the spacer in my lift kit that they would use a slightly heavier spring to take place of that spacer and maintain my current height. I know this will take away from the shocks performance some but still should be leaps and bounds better than where I'm at.....I hope!
I have the High Lifter 2.5" lift kit with my Elkas.
Love the setup. The rig is sitting a bit higher than it was with just the lift.
The high lifter kit moves the spring mounting point out instead of using a spring spacer.

advertisement
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the High Lifter 2.5" lift kit with my Elkas.
Love the setup. The rig is sitting a bit higher than it was with just the lift.
The high lifter kit moves the spring mounting point out instead of using a spring spacer.
Yeah the Super ATV lift relocates the front and rear shock mounting points also. The spacer is just part of the lift. I guess to give that extra 1/2 inch. In hind sight I think I would have went with the high lifter kit, seems to be the popalur vote not having to mess with the spacers.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!