P1000 Fox vs Elka Suspension

tromano1706

tromano1706

Jun 21, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've searched through previous posts and cannot find what I'm looking for. As with most of us, the stock suspension leaves something to be desired for. I am ready to purchase a new set and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation as to if a full set of Elka's is worth 2-3 times the Fox shocks. We do mostly slower rocky riding and the stock shocks bottom out frequently and have a harsh and bouncy ride. I'm pretty confident that I will have to change the springs on the Fox whereas the Elka's should be set up for the additional toys we have on ours. Any advice is appreciated!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've searched through previous posts and cannot find what I'm looking for. As with most of us, the stock suspension leaves something to be desired for. I am ready to purchase a new set and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation as to if a full set of Elka's is worth 2-3 times the Fox shocks. We do mostly slower rocky riding and the stock shocks bottom out frequently and have a harsh and bouncy ride. I'm pretty confident that I will have to change the springs on the Fox whereas the Elka's should be set up for the additional toys we have on ours. Any advice is appreciated!
If your a suspension junkie, go with the Elka Stage 5's, if not the Fox's will be a huge improvement over the non existent stock shocks. I've got the E 5's but their a ton of money. Go with the Fox's. Unless your crazy?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If your a suspension junkie, go with the Elka Stage 5's, if not the Fox's will be a huge improvement over the non existent stock shocks. I've got the E 5's but their a ton of money. Go with the Fox's. Unless your crazy?
☝️☝️☝️☝️THIS☝️☝️☝️☝️

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fox shocks aren't custom tailored to your machine. The Elkas are custom tailored for your application and machine weight. If you wanted to get really deep then you could get 4 corner weights and have them dial them in perfectly. To throw another option at you for the money Bandit Shocks are a really good buy IMO, they are essentially rebranded elkas with bandit clothes on it.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having had Fox Shocks and Elkas, the Elkas are a lot better out of the box and perform very well with additional preload and slight adjustment. Given the 3 distinct settings of the fox shocks, I think the best of both worlds would probably be the Fox shocks with a single rate spring tailored to your machine weight and payload. I love the Elkas but I really liked the quick adjustment of the Fox shocks

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going back to the shocks yes i did have to change the front springs.To a single stage 275 pound but i still have a stock duel rate on the back.Cant bring myself to the single stage on the rear you never know whats going in the bed around here.The wife likes to go rock hunting.The ride height is stock or just a little higher.Sway bar still on.If i wanted a way better ride i would have a Talon.

Homer

Homer

Happy Birthday MoPower!
Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just did the fox upgrade also. Tremendous upgrade in ride and comfort. Kept original front springs and went 300 # single rate for the back.
Also like the simplistic adjustment.
Go for it.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Having had Fox Shocks and Elkas, the Elkas are a lot better out of the box and perform very well with additional preload and slight adjustment. Given the 3 distinct settings of the fox shocks, I think the best of both worlds would probably be the Fox shocks with a single rate spring tailored to your machine weight and payload. I love the Elkas but I really liked the quick adjustment of the Fox shocks

I just did the fox upgrade also. Tremendous upgrade in ride and comfort. Kept original front springs and went 300 # single rate for the back.
Also like the simplistic adjustment.
Go for it.
What these guys said…
I did the Fox shocks and it’s a definite improvement over stock, I do need to change the rear springs to the single rate springs. I have been very happy with the simplicity, ride and cost of the foxes .

tromano1706

tromano1706

Jun 21, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I appreciate the input from all of you. I think I am going to go ahead and get the Fox just because it sounds like they will get me 80-90% of the way there with less effort and let's not forget less cost. I feel as though to do the Elka's right you have to go to the stage 5 from what it sounds and for me, it doesn't seem like I'll use them to their full potential. I'll let you guys know my thoughts when they go on!

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good luck with your changes, but as has been said countless times here, almost anything is better than stock shocks. I have the Elka stage 4's, and I probably dont use them to their full potential, yet. But what a difference in the ride. I am going to do some tuning on mine to see the differences in ride. I also plan to put some more pre-load on the rear springs because I sometimes have a spray unit in the bed of mine that holds 65 gallons. It does squat my machine more than I like.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going back to the shocks yes i did have to change the front springs.To a single stage 275 pound but i still have a stock duel rate on the back.Cant bring myself to the single stage on the rear you never know whats going in the bed around here.The wife likes to go rock hunting.The ride height is stock or just a little higher.Sway bar still on.If i wanted a way better ride i would have a Talon.
I would be curious to see a picture of your rear dual rates with no load. My rig is a little on the heavy side. The factory dual rate range was pretty much gone unloaded sitting still. I have fox with single rate coils and I appreciate them. I have a little more pre load on the rear of my machine. It works out great at home for what I do and on the trail. I can typically move 500lbs of feed in the bed with no severe squat. Mine is a 1000-5 and will also see the rear seats used often on the trails. Most of my rear passengers total 300-400. If I remember correctly I did 250lb on the front and 300lb on the rear. Here is some information I put together on my adventures.

As others have stated. From the research I have done, elka is great. You typically need alot of money for them. They are a buy once, install, and done. The fox shocks can be a great budget shock (when compared to elka 3+) and a great shock in general if you are willing/capable of some coil swaps.

Otherwise if you are interested in a better ride at the cheap I have heard good things so far about the rough country shocks.

Personally my opinion is at the end of the day the pioneer averages 8-9" of suspension travel. There is only so much that can be done. When other sport machines can travel 15+" I would not spend elka money on a pioneer unless the pioneer was my absolute only machine I would ever operate at extreme sport machine level situations. If I were in need of elka 5s I would just by a Talon.

Shocks can be like politics and everyone has an opinion. But, anything is better than the stock Honda shock ride.

tromano1706

tromano1706

Jun 21, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered the set of Fox Shocks from Ron Ayers at the beginning of the week and they are already installed so a big thank you and shoutout to the team at Ron Ayers!
Install was incredibly easy. It only took an hour for all four corners. I couldn't help but test them out on our property for a small test ride and immediately a massive difference and improvement. For my needs and expectations, they certainly meet and exceed what I hoped for. I'm upset that I didn't purchase them sooner. Initial impressions are that they react to bumps in a much more predictable and controlled manner. Bumps are much smoother but i need to play with them more to make them suit me in that there is a lot more body roll than before (even with the swaybar). Overall, I am already happy with them!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered the set of Fox Shocks from Ron Ayers at the beginning of the week and they are already installed so a big thank you and shoutout to the team at Ron Ayers!
Install was incredibly easy. It only took an hour for all four corners. I couldn't help but test them out on our property for a small test ride and immediately a massive difference and improvement. For my needs and expectations, they certainly meet and exceed what I hoped for. I'm upset that I didn't purchase them sooner. Initial impressions are that they react to bumps in a much more predictable and controlled manner. Bumps are much smoother but i need to play with them more to make them suit me in that there is a lot more body roll than before (even with the swaybar). Overall, I am already happy with them!
That seems to sum it up the same for everyone! That is the easiest and most accurate description I would give everyone.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The body roll is why I went with the other shocks with slow and high speed dampening adjustments, but first you must understand high and slow speed shock terminology high and slow have nothing to do with the speed your traveling, it's about the speed of the shock movement. I don't run a sway bar so to take the body roll out I set my low speed a little slower, keep in mind running roads your shock travel is usually moving slower than trails.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just looked on the Elka web site and I did not see a product Level 3 or above for the Honda Talon X2 2022-2023. Is Elka not making them for the 2022+ Talon Xs? Also what limit straps would you use with Elka shocks? Thanks in advance.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Fox shocks aren't custom tailored to your machine. The Elkas are custom tailored for your application and machine weight. If you wanted to get really deep then you could get 4 corner weights and have them dial them in perfectly. To throw another option at you for the money Bandit Shocks are a really good buy IMO, they are essentially rebranded elkas with bandit clothes on it.
Bandit does sell Elkas but I do not believe their brand shocks are Elka . Love my bandits and I have had elkas also. 814 is also another and I think they are Viking. The rough country has Digressive valving which I would never want for any off-roading but anything is better than stock.

Last edited:
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
From reading this thread, I'm guessing that I'm CRAZY. I have the Elka Stage 5s installed on my 2022 P1K-5. If I had it to do over, I would still purchase the Elkas. Excellent ride and body roll control. I ran the s*** out of mine at '23TO with no regrets

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bandit does sell Elkas but I do not believe their brand shocks are not Elka . Love my bandits and I have had elkas also. 814 is also another and I think they are Viking. The rough country has Digressive valving which I would never want for any off-roading but anything is better than stock.

I ordered shock shafts for mine and they came with elka part numbers. I'm not sure how much is elka and how much is bandit.

Reactions: osobad and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!