P1000 Engine only turns over, but won't start

J

jburge64

Feb 3, 2021
Hattiesburg, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own a 2019 1000-5 LE.

A little background info, though I'm not sure if it is relevant. Two weekends ago after leaving the machine at deer camp I noticed that some mice had gotten in and chewed up some of my accessory wires, but the machine ran as usual all weekend. This past weekend I had gotten there the night before and started it up to make sure we would be good to go for in the morning. It started right up as always and we spent a little time splicing in the accessories so they would function until I could redo them correctly. After we finished and got the accessories going I started it up one more time and it started again no problem. The next morning I go out to start it and it turns over, but will not start.

It's now been almost a week and I've got the machine home. It still turns over, but is not starting. I've checked all fuses, oil, and air filter and they seem to be fine. At this point I figure it must be either a lack of spark, fuel, or electrical communication of some kind (only consider this due to the mice). I'll be the first to admit I'm no mechanic, but can usually manage my way through most basic tasks given enough time. Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this, or can lead me in the right direction on what I should take as my first steps to hopefully locate this issue before I load it up to take to a professional. I'm hoping I'll get a little insight to help guide me along the way.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

J

jburge64

Feb 3, 2021
Hattiesburg, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own a 2019 1000-5 LE.

A little background info, though I'm not sure if it is relevant. Two weekends ago after leaving the machine at deer camp I noticed that some mice had gotten in and chewed up some of my accessory wires, but the machine ran as usual all weekend. This past weekend I had gotten there the night before and started it up to make sure we would be good to go for in the morning. It started right up as always and we spent a little time splicing in the accessories so they would function until I could redo them correctly. After we finished and got the accessories going I started it up one more time and it started again no problem. The next morning I go out to start it and it turns over, but will not start.

It's now been almost a week and I've got the machine home. It still turns over, but is not starting. I've checked all fuses, oil, and air filter and they seem to be fine. At this point I figure it must be either a lack of spark, fuel, or electrical communication of some kind (only consider this due to the mice). I'll be the first to admit I'm no mechanic, but can usually manage my way through most basic tasks given enough time. Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this, or can lead me in the right direction on what I should take as my first steps to hopefully locate this issue before I load it up to take to a professional. I'm hoping I'll get a little insight to help guide me along the way.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

I found another post where someone had a similar issue and it was simply a weak battery. Enough to turn over, but not start. I plan to get my battery checked out tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'm making it harder than it needs to be.

J

jburge64

Feb 3, 2021
Hattiesburg, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda had a recall on certain VIN 2019 models for a bad fuel pump.

This may be your issue. You can check the power and ground at the pump connector to see if its getting that far.

I'll keep that in mind as I'm sure it could still be my issue, but I checked mine against the recall list and the bad fuel pump did not show up under recalls for my VIN.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I found another post where someone had a similar issue and it was simply a weak battery. Enough to turn over, but not start. I plan to get my battery checked out tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'm making it harder than it needs to be.
Hook jumpers to your truck or use a jump pack and u can eliminate the battery as being the problem.

J

jburge64

Feb 3, 2021
Hattiesburg, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hook jumpers to your truck or use a jump pack and u can eliminate the battery as being the problem.
I’ve tried that. Even hooked to my truck the voltage meter for the main battery (not sure how accurate it is) never got above 11.7 and was dipping down below 11 volts when turning over. Not sure, but I figured it’s worth taking it to get tested.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Could be a bad cell in the battery. If the battery won’t go above 11.7 volts even while hooked to your truck, you might not get spark out of the ignition.

You could disconnect the Honda battery completely, and hook jumper cables from a known good battery (your truck) directly to the Honda wires to check this.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!