P700 EPS recall done + fuel pump. Now it dies when driving.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Slackjaw any updates?

Mine started doing this today. 3 times driving within like 1/2 a mile. Started right back up, then nothing again (so far). Ride today is being cut short because of it... <Pissed>

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Slackjaw any updates?

Mine started doing this today. 3 times driving within like 1/2 a mile. Started right back up, then nothing again (so far). Ride today is being cut short because of it... <Pissed>
It's been at the dealership for a few weeks now. So far, they put a new battery in it.
I have never made it through an entire tank of fuel without it going into this stalling loop so hopefully they will get the issue to occur.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Stopped at the dealership today.
According to the tech, they replaced the fuel pump again. They are using it as a shop mule for extended testing

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dealership did the fuel pump recall again or at least the fuel pump "nut".
It still stalls out same as before.
They suspect a clutch is sticking, they want to service it.
Is that even a thing?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dealership did the fuel pump recall again or at least the fuel pump "nut".
It still stalls out same as before.
They suspect a clutch is sticking, they want to service it.
Is that even a thing?
Jesus Christ....

In your 1st video at .06 seconds, you see all the lights light up? That's POWER being interrupted to the machine...same as if you'd turned the key off and back on.
Is it still doing this on them? That's an easy clue for them. Could be the grounds...could be the ignition switch, which seems to have fixed mine.

Show them the video. Show them this post. Your dealer sounds pretty stupid. Maybe you should take it somewhere else...

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine was doing almost the same thing. All the lights and all. I think I have mine fixed. Seems it was heat and ecu related or something else electrical.

Reactions: AUSXS
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dealership called today...
Keep in mind they have had it for a month, using it around the shop as the stalling out symptoms seem to occur randomly. I've never made it through an entire tank of fuel without it occuring. Also keep in mind this issue began before the first service was performed.

They said it was 2 quarts low on oil and that they think the the clutch was sticking and stalling the engine out.

That makes no sense to me.
Could a sticking solenoid stall the engine out?
Sounds so sketchy.

As per the service manager, the low oil situation may have damaged the clutch.
Basically, no no one even checked the oil as basic troubleshooting in a month of testing?

Tough to swallow.

ABSOLUTELY SHADY AS HELL.

I asked him to top off the oil and continue to test it. I'm so disappointed in the dealership.

Machine currently has 360 miles and 100 hours. I live on a 2 mile private road so it gets driven at speed often, very little idleing.
The math says average speed of 3mph.
This tells me the dealership has left it idling ALOT. Can that cause oil consumption?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dealership called today...
Keep in mind they have had it for a month, using it around the shop as the stalling out symptoms seem to occur randomly. I've never made it through an entire tank of fuel without it occuring. Also keep in mind this issue began before the first service was performed.

They said it was 2 quarts low on oil and that they think the the clutch was sticking and stalling the engine out.

That makes no sense to me.
Could a sticking solenoid stall the engine out?
Sounds so sketchy.

As per the service manager, the low oil situation may have damaged the clutch.
Basically, no no one even checked the oil as basic troubleshooting in a month of testing?

Tough to swallow.

ABSOLUTELY SHADY AS HELL.

I asked him to top off the oil and continue to test it. I'm so disappointed in the dealership.

Machine currently has 360 miles and 100 hours. I live on a 2 mile private road so it gets driven at speed often, very little idleing.
The math says average speed of 3mph.
This tells me the dealership has left it idling ALOT. Can that cause oil consumption?
The oil check procedure for the 700 (and most new Hondas, I suspect) is a bit different from the old Chevy in the parking lot. They should know it very well....but based on what you've said this far, I wouldn't put faith in that. Don't know that I'd believe them, honestly...

When you start the machine and put it in gear, then open the throttle, you may have noticed a very slight lunge. This is the machine engaging the 1st/reverse gear clutch, yet the machine still doesn't move too much until you open it further, and, in fact, can still be held with the brakes. That's the torque converter doing its thing and allowing slip. If a clutch were "sticking", it would behave just like this scenario.
I supposed it's possible for enough stuff to seize together to force the machine to drive (like someone in a manual vehicle who doesn't know how to work a clutch), but such a lack of lube would be obvious well before this.
Also, the 700 is well known to be very sensitive to low oil levels, and will lose drive or refuse to shift if it gets very low at all.

Or...cliff notes version: Bulls***. Your dealer (again) is an idiot. Go get your machine before the screw it up even more.

Last edited:
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dealership called, said they found a loose ground wire (neg terminal) on battery.
Only took two trips and a month of troubleshooting.
Check out the $75 battery they installed + $90 for an HR labor.
($40 battery on Amazon)

I expected an OEM battery from the dealership, sheesh.

The hold down strap wasn't even on the new battery. Guys, avoid this place. My butt hurts bad. I suspect the original problem still exists.
I'll get to drive it this weekend.

PXL 20210930 201024344

H

HondaTech

Dealership called, said they found a loose ground wire (neg terminal) on battery.
($40 battery on Amazon)

The hold down strap wasn't even on the new battery. Guys, avoid this place. My butt hurts bad. I suspect the original problem still exists.

View attachment 297848

I would refuse that battery for that price and any labor.

They are the ones who caused the problem, and a Honda battery isnt anymore than that POS.

f*** this place.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
($40 battery on Amazon)

View attachment 297848
It might be worth the drive up to see @HondaTech ...

Reactions: WagginTail
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep us updated after you ride this weekend. I really hope you get to enjoy your machine now without any more trouble.

Reactions: Kinlaw and Slackjaw
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ran it 1/10th of a tank Saturday/Sunday around the farm, no stalling. I have made it half a tank before (without stalling) so I'm not getting my hopes up yet. Very intermittent issue so I would like to make it through a full tank before I have any confidence in the repair.

Fwiw, I used dielectric /oxguard on the block ground lug and loc-tite on the bolt.
It wasn't very tight after the dealership "repaired" it, no lock washer.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well dang. It's a ghost problem for sure. DG said changing his ignition helped? I haven't tried it on mine yet, but I have a similar issue.

Reactions: Smitty335
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Made it through 90% of a tank...It started stalling out again yesterday.
Sucks so bad.
Mine is still under the factory warranty...but it costs me another $400 Everytime I bring it in for this issue. (8 trips now) you do the math.
2019 with very few easy miles on it. Babied, maintained etc.
Never in my dreams did I forsee this.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!