P700 EPS recall done + fuel pump. Now it dies when driving.

C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have 1500 miles on my 21 P700 deluxe and have not had this issue yet. Shure hope you find the problem before I do LOL
Thank you for all the up dates on your hair pulling hard work.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have 1500 miles on my 21 P700 deluxe and have not had this issue yet. Shure hope you find the problem before I do LOL
Thank you for all the up dates on your hair pulling hard work.
If mine behaves on the next few rides, I plan to swap back in the ignition switch and PCM individually in hopes of making a determination of what fixed it. If it's fixed, that is.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
UPDATE: drove an hour & picked up the pioneer. Drove an hour home...took it off the trailer, headed towards the shed and it started the stall out shenanigans.
Same exact issue with new ignition.
Such a waste of money (2 hr travel).

I will request the dealership replace the PCM next.

Last edited:
A

AUSXS

Dec 15, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Seems PCM is involved at some level. Something triggers an orderly shutdown and reboot.
Just like turning it off and on at the ignition (ignition switch seemed logical). Earth was mentioned previously. Maybe faulty/fatigued/heat damaged earth wire in the harness?
Someone suggested running a dedicated extra earth wire external to the harness earth.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
48.6 miles yesterday. No issues.

UPDATE: drove an hour & picked up the pioneer. Drove an hour home...took it off the trailer, headed towards the shed and it started the stall out shenanigans.
Same exact issue with new ignition.
Such a waste of money (2 hr travel).

I will request the dealership replace the PCM next.
Unreal. Are they even driving the thing after they work on it?

Cant say I'd blame you one bit for getting rid of it. The 700's strength is its reliability and durability, and it makes no sense to choose it over better riding, more powerful, more comfortable machines if it's not giving that.

Don't know if I'll do it next ride or maybe one more, but I intend to switch back in the old PCM and see if the problem returns.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2

Cant say I'd blame you one bit for getting rid of it. The 700's strength is its reliability and durability, and it makes no sense to choose it over better riding, more powerful, more comfortable machines if it's not giving that.

Don't know if I'll do it next ride or maybe one more, but I intend to switch back in the old PCM and see if the problem returns.
I sent you a PM.

Reactions: DG Rider
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Brought the machine in this morning.
Could not duplicate the problem driving around the building.
Service manager refused to keep it to do extended testing. Said they would replace the PCM but I would need to buy it.
I may take more video and contact the regional Honda rep for advice.
Very frustrated.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Did you switch back to the old PCM?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Today: Swapped back to the new PCM, and back to the "old" (1st replacement) ignition switch.

64 miles, no issues. That sucks...because I was really hoping to see it come back with old parts. After @Slackjaw's new switch failed to fix his, I was leaning towards a PCM problem...but the old one didn't act up for me on one of the longest rides I've taken in a while.

There is one more part I've switched...I almost forgot about it until I went back through this thread, and that's the system relay. Guess I'll do that next ride...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I did some more testing on the main system relay today. Performing some nice gymnastics, I simultaneously gave the machine gas while in gear, wheels off the ground spinning, while breaking the connection in the relay. The machine would lose fire and reset the dash, but immediately pick up and start running again once I let the relay connect again unless I held it long enough to kill the engine by letting it wind all the way down. Holding it that long sets the trouble code for main system relay, though curiously enough the display doesn't remain on as it did in my former tests, so apparently you have to hold the relay open for seconds to get that to happen.

But...No matter about screens staying on or whatever...The point being that it seems very unlikely that a bad relay is causing this. My duplicating its only real possible failure doesn't duplicate the symptoms of what the machine does.

So at this point it's a waiting game. I can hope that my old PCM is indeed bad and it just didn't show itself in the one ride. Certainly, if it was the PCM... It went several months without acting up, and that's certainly a possibility.

I won't have an opportunity to do it for the next couple rides but... Just for s**** and giggles I may just try the old relay anyway.

@Slackjaw, it's going to be interesting to see if a PCM fixes yours...

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Last weekend we did about 45ish miles and no issues. This was all the "new" parts since I was riding with someone and didn't want to interfere with someone else's ride.

@Slackjaw any updates with yours?

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Last weekend we did about 45ish miles and no issues. This was all the "new" parts since I was riding with someone and didn't want to interfere with someone else's ride.

@Slackjaw any updates with yours?
Haven't had the chance to run it.
Honestly, the idea of putting more time, energy and $ into that thing puts me in a foul mood.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Someone on fb having this issue got this reply...

Screenshot 20220312 2340162

I believe someone posted a story like this somewhere here as well...though it could have been this guy.

And I'd have to go look at the mileage, but something like 30 miles today with no issues.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hmmm...stators fail intermittently?
My machine has no accessories but it was a demo, so it may have been jumpstarted or boosted before I bought it.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Hmmm...stators fail intermittently?
I had a Rincon just the other day that would run, but when would unexpectedly just die and not restart.

No spark, had pulse generator voltage if you unplugged the connector. Then it would spark once or twice then stop.

Replaced stator assembly and it fixed it. Super weird symptoms.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!