P1000 Excessive turf mode use?

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We can delay the first 100 mile oil change? I picked up my 1000 in June 2021. I don't have 100 miles on it, but was thinking about taking it in because it's been a year and oil breaks down. Where can I find this information?

I'm another back issue guy. Three surgeries on L4 & L5, with the last one fusing L4, L5, and S1 together in 2014. In 2018 I had some pain above my right kidney - felt like kidney stones - that was diagnosed as a herniated disc at L1-T12. They treated it with epidural steroid injections until last year when that didn't work. Surgery in October 2021 didn't take away the pain and now I've been diagnosed with permanent nerve pathway pain. Don't delay back surgeries!
I am not saying that it is ok with Honda to delay the 100 mile service. But a couple others have commented that they have done that up to several hundred miles over with no ill effects to the machine. So I think I will be doing it just because I am putting very easy and not dusty miles on for this summer until I am able to do the oil change myself. Hopefully that will happen before winter.
Very sorry to read about your history of back issues. I was also afraid of having permanent nerve damage but thankfully I did get the surgery before that happened and I think I should be ok after the bone fusion is complete, I hope.

D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
People who ride with me ask what the heck "turf mode" is. I don't have any better way to explain it so I tell them it's one wheel drive and is needed because there is no rear differential.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am liking that manual mode using the paddle shifters more and more. I have been using that mode all the time now. I think I can do the shifts better in manual than the auto mode can.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was giving a neighbor kid a ride today and he told me to take it out of tuff mode and lock it in drift mode so we could do some drifting.

Took me a little to realize he meant turf and diff lock. :cool:
This will confirm that I have screwed up more than once...I was sliding (kinda like drifting) around in a circle on an ATV in the mud and slinging mud every which way which was a great deal of fun until I hit a a buried log in the mud with the right rear wheel which brought the right rear of the ATV to a sudden stop but I kept going maybe 10' before I splashed down in the mud. Wife and 2 young offspring (it's been awhile) thought it was very funny seeing me covered with mud. I just said I "slipped in the mud" which was in fact true and there was no reason to further explain as I dove into the lake to clean up. Sliding is fun until it's not.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
People who ride with me ask what the heck "turf mode" is. I don't have any better way to explain it so I tell them it's one wheel drive and is needed because there is no rear differential.

Well, not exactly. Turf mode unlocks the rear diff so that the rear wheels can turn at different speeds, as they would when cornering on pavement - there'd be a lot of scrubbing going on when turning on pavement otherwise, assuming two wheel drive. So long as both wheels have traction, both rear wheels will still "drive" and apply power to the ground. If one wheel looses all traction, then that wheel would spin and the other will stop (assuming you don't have the momentum to travel through the the slick area. That's the way a differential works.

D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, not exactly. Turf mode unlocks the rear diff so that the rear wheels can turn at different speeds, as they would when cornering on pavement - there'd be a lot of scrubbing going on when turning on pavement otherwise, assuming two wheel drive. So long as both wheels have traction, both rear wheels will still "drive" and apply power to the ground. If one wheel looses all traction, then that wheel would spin and the other will stop (assuming you don't have the momentum to travel through the the slick area. That's the way a differential works.
OK, it was my understanding that there were no spider gears back there and that it was equal direct drive in 2WD just like most ATV's.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sometimes when I switch from turf to 2 wheel it takes awhile for the display to make the change? So can I assume that the switch was made but it took awhile for the display to show the change?

D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking in the service manual, I don't see any spider gears in the parts breakdown of the rear "driving mechanism". It seems that all it does is disconnect the left rear axle.
Dif 001

Reactions: Rayger143
advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sometimes when I switch from turf to 2 wheel it takes awhile for the display to make the change? So can I assume that the switch was made but it took awhile for the display to show the change?
Not really. If your display hasn't changed, it's likely that your diff hasn't disengaged. It probably needs adjustment.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not really. If your display hasn't changed, it's likely that your diff hasn't disengaged. It probably needs adjustment.
Just curious because when the display does show a change, usually after driving a hundred feet or so, there is no sound or feeling of any change.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious because when the display does show a change, usually after driving a hundred feet or so, there is no sound or feeling of any change.
When it's adjusted properly you shouldn't hear anything going from turf to 2wd or 2wd to turf. It does help to turn the steering wheel some while moving to get it to engage or disengage. The display should show it change alot sooner than 100'. For me it was kinda aggravating to adjust to get it just right. At least honda changed that process for the new models

Reactions: Rayger143
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't seen the process for adjusting the new ones, though...

It looks like it's done at the differential now, I wonder if it's a lot easier to get it dialed in right.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!